Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

10 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I'm pleased to learn that baseball isn't any different without fans

It’s a much better game when the Phillies can actually hit. It’s why those 2007-2012 teams were so fun. They didn’t get like lights out starting pitching besides Hamels until they got Lee then halladay then Oswalt and Lee. Bullpen was good throughout. I don’t know what to make of their pen this year. I think it’s going to be boom or bust. 

Aaron Nola looks filthy tonight. More like 2018 nola then 2019

my bad i spoke too soon 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s a much better game when the Phillies can actually hit. It’s why those 2007-2012 teams were so fun. They didn’t get like lights out starting pitching besides Hamels until they got Lee then galladay then Oswalt and Lee. Bullpen was good throughout. I don’t know what to make of their pen this year. I think it’s going to be boom or bust. 

I was speaking more in terms of it's still quiet and boring lol. 

I do agree though it was more fun. It was ashame we didn't have the hitting when we were loaded on pitching with Halladay and Lee

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Well didn't they say he was going to have a down year after his usage in 2018? Should be good to go this year. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

I was speaking more in terms of it's still quiet and boring lol. 

I do agree though it was more fun. It was ashame we didn't have the hitting when we were loaded on pitching with Halladay and Lee

We did they just were so streaky and Howard was never the same after the Achilles and utley began breaking down. The biggest shame in all of it was amaro trading away cliff lee when he acquired halladay. That 2010 team would have been devastating with halladay, Lee and hamels then acquiring oswalt. Would have two big time years of 2010 and 2011. It’s a shame 2011 they matched up with the cardinals in the first round and Howard just wasn’t the same with his Achilles all season and it finally snapped. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

this might not age well. 

1 minute ago, 700Level4Life said:

this might not age well. 

Yup spoke too soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup spoke too soon. 

He got out of the jam. I hate the Fish, but love it when teams manafacture runs by playing station to station baseball. Hopefully thats the last inning they make Nola work. 

• Like 1

Just now, 700Level4Life said:

He got out of the jam. I hate the Fish, but love it when teams manafacture runs by playing station to station baseball. Hopefully thats the last inning they make Nola work. 

The Phillies for whatever reason always struggle with the marlins except years where we are also horrible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The Phillies for whatever reason always struggle with the marlins except years where we are also horrible. 

people think im nuts, but my hatred for the Marlins are up there with the Cowboys,NY Giants, Dodgers, Rangers, Yankees and Lakers. I loathe this franchise. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

people think im nuts, but my hatred for the Marlins are up there with the Cowboys,NY Giants, Dodgers, Rangers, Yankees and Lakers. I loathe this franchise. 

I hate the Mets more. They are up there with the Braves and nats though. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

We did they just were so streaky and Howard was never the same after the Achilles and utley began breaking down. The biggest shame in all of it was amaro trading away cliff lee when he acquired halladay. That 2010 team would have been devastating with halladay, Lee and hamels then acquiring oswalt. Would have two big time years of 2010 and 2011. It’s a shame 2011 they matched up with the cardinals in the first round and Howard just wasn’t the same with his Achilles all season and it finally snapped. 

Well that's what I meant, Howard and Utley were declining. 

Doesnt matter if Nola is on or off, his delivery always looks weird and akward from the back. 

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well that's what I meant, Howard and Utley were declining. 

Howard’s wasn’t completely unexpected. Howard was already 30 when 2010 hit. I remember saying don’t give him an extension cause you are going to massively overpay once he hits his massive decline. The injury really accelerated it. But really you saw 2011 his body was beginning to break down cause of his body type. 

Hoskins looking like Mike Schmidt's long lost son with the stache and hair. lol

2 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

Hoskins looking like Mike Schmidt's long lost son with the stache and hair. lol

too bad he hits like **** and not like Schmidt 

harper missed a homerun ball there. He connects its gone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Howard’s wasn’t completely unexpected. Howard was already 30 when 2010 hit. I remember saying don’t give him an extension cause you are going to massively overpay once he hits his massive decline. The injury really accelerated it. But really you saw 2011 his body was beginning to break down cause of his body type. 

That and he refused to adjust his approach at the plate after he realized he was losing bat speed. I remember Schmidt commenting on it and offered advice and Howard wasn't hearing it

too bad he hits like **** and not like Schmidt 

As I was writing that, I was thinking the same thing. 🤣😂 :rod:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As happy as I am, that the game is back, Im not digging the lack luster offense. The fellas are just going through the motions so far. They got to get something going. 

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That and he refused to adjust his approach at the plate after he realized he was losing bat speed. I remember Schmidt commenting on it and offered advice and Howard wasn't hearing it

You knew his decline was going to be rapid just based off the fact he was a power hitter and a big guy. Once his bat speed left it was not gonna happen and he was too prideful and too much success to change it. That was Reuben tomorrow’s biggest mistake. As much as I loved Ryan Howard for those five years he was incredible you didn’t need a pay him because he was going to be like 31-32 when that contract started. It absolutely killed the Phillies along with Lee and halladay’s massive fall off the cliff 

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I think Hoskins is broken.  Needs to be 6 hole.  

I was for trading him this off-season. And just having bohm play over at first base. And then when kris Bryant becomes a free agent go after Bryant or trade for Bryant have him play third

3 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

As happy as I am, that the game is back, Im not digging the lack luster offense. The fellas are just going through the motions so far. They got to get something going. 

You mean they are in midseason form lol

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Nah.  Resign JT.  Have him ready to take over at 1st in a few years.  Bohm should be up now.  

I still take kris Bryant if they could get him. I can allow Bryant to be a DH in a few years and still have Realmuto play first, catcher and some DH. Even could make Bryant play first. Have bohm at third. 

Frankly I’d have tried to trade segura too. I just don’t think he’s a good team guy but the reality is i think there’s a big reason the mariners were willing to unload him. 

I really think Didi is going to make himself a ton of money playing in this park. I hope they can re-sign him. He’s a good player but even better off the field.