Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

Why doesnt Giradi send Quinn there?!?

First pitch swing after a walk...🙄

• Thanks 1

We gonna have another slow start for nola? Felt like it took him forever last season to go more than 5 innings 

2 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

First pitch swing after a walk...🙄

Maybe if they put a cardboard cutout of Charlie Manuel behind home plate that will fix the offense

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not saying it’ll happen but how pathetic would it be if the Phillies aren’t one of the 8 NL playoff teams?

13 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

If this was game 1 of 162, I wouldnt mind, but its game 1 of 60, with a stacked slate against the NL and AL East. 

Yep.  Baseball is an annual early over-reaction for even the most seasoned fans/players/experts.  But losing game 1 to the division doormat is not ideal.

• Thanks 1

Just now, eagle45 said:

Yep.  Baseball is an annual early over-reaction for even the most seasoned fans/players/experts.  But losing game 1 to the division doormat is not ideal.

It’s bad when you were not good against the marlins last year and the trend continued tonight and you only have 60 games with a tough schedule. If they lose 2 of 3 here they could easily start 2-4 or 1-5 with the Yankees up next for 3. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not saying it’ll happen but how pathetic would it be if the Phillies aren’t one of the 8 NL playoff teams?

Playoffs? Im just wondering if well finish last after tonight. That last inning was so bad. Quinn legs out a bang bang play, only to slip after the bad throw. Giraradi decides not to send him, Cutch grounds out for the DP, Hoskins works a walk, because he afraid to make contact, and Harper decides to hack at the first pitch after a walk. Terrible inning. 

Wow. Marlins trying to help us out. Lol

• Like 1

That was a weird angle. Did the ball go over the pole or pass it to the left?

26 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

Playoffs? Im just wondering if well finish last after tonight. That last inning was so bad. Quinn legs out a bang bang play, only to slip after the bad throw. Giraradi decides not to send him, Cutch grounds out for the DP, Hoskins works a walk, because he afraid to make contact, and Harper decides to hack at the first pitch after a walk. Terrible inning. 

I personally think mccutchen is never going to be the same player he was before the injury at 33. I didn’t love signing him last year especially when i saw the contract Brantley got. Brantley had one less year and was one year younger. They overpaid for mccutchen cause it was the only way he’d come here even though he was already in the decline and then he got hurt cause segura half assed it. 

I’d argue harper is about the only free agent signing that has worked out for klentak. I do like didi. But i think wheeler is going to wind up being a overpaid no. 3. Not looking good on hunter, neshek and arrieta.  Even klentak’s trades might backfire as Realmuto has a chance to leave in FA cause i have a strong feeling some team will massively overpay for the best catcher in the league and betts off the board. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I personally think mccutchen is never going to be the same player he was before the injury at 33. I didn’t love signing him last year especially when i saw the contract Brantley got. Brantley had one less year and was one year younger. They overpaid for mccutchen cause it was the only way he’d come here even though he was already in the decline and then he got hurt cause segura half assed it. 

I’d argue harper is about the only free agent signing that has worked out for klentak. I do like didi. But i think wheeler is going to wind up being a overpaid no. 3. Not looking good on hunter, neshek and arrieta.  Even klentak’s trades might backfire as Realmuto has a chance to leave in FA cause i have a strong feeling some team will massively overpay for the best catcher in the league and betts off the board. 

Klentak needs to Fin go, the last few years are at least half his fault. Probably 60/40 between him and kapler

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, devpool said:

Klentak needs to Fin go, the last few years are at least half his fault. Probably 60/40 between him and kapler

The Phillies drafting has been horrible outside of bohm, stott and Howard. They were awful for years and they got basically those three and potentially nola and kingery. Hoskins is overrated. His August call up In 2017 was not indicative of what he actually is. A major reason why they are where they are is due to poor development and drafting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Kingery should be leading off.  At least not buried like he is.  

Why the F is Hoskins the #2 hitter?  Because coconut oil had him drawing BBs?  Should be #5 or #6.  Kingery should be at least in the top 2.

• Like 1

Quinn gets on..SEND HIM JOE!!

11 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Why the F is Hoskins the #2 hitter?  Because coconut oil had him drawing BBs?  Should be #5 or #6.  Kingery should be at least in the top 2.

Hoskins since August 2018 has not been great. His last two months of that year he hit .215 (43-200) 13 hrs and 26 RBIs. So averaged 6.5 homers and 13 RBIs those months. About what his average per month was last year was 5 homers 14.2rbis (29 homers and 85 RBIs). Honestly his call up in 2017 makes people believe he’d be a star. he’s overrated

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Hoskins since August 2018 has not been great. His last two months of that year he hit .215 (43-200) 13 hrs and 26 RBIs. So averaged 6.5 homers and 13 RBIs those months. About what his average per month was last year was 5 homers 14.2rbis (29 homers and 85 RBIs). Honestly his call up in 2017 makes people believe he’d be a star. he’s overrated

Agree.  He was hot upon his call up and has really done nothing since.  Whether that's because that's what he is or because coconut oil ruined him, will we every really know?  Some players come up and get hot then go cold when the League adjusts to them.  Others stay hot because they adjust to the adjustments made to them or can with stand them.  I like Hoskins and hoped he would come out of this, but I feel you are correct that we should have traded him when he was 'hot', especially since we have Brohm waiting in the wings.

16 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The Phillies drafting has been horrible outside of bohm, stott and Howard. They were awful for years and they got basically those three and potentially nola and kingery. Hoskins is overrated. His August call up In 2017 was not indicative of what he actually is. A major reason why they are where they are is due to poor development and drafting. 

Thats basically every year since the late 70s early 80s when this ownership group took over. Mike Arbuckle never shouldve been allowed to leave. He shouldve gotten paid to be the GM back in the early 2000s. That was the last time the farm system was solid throughout. 

Hamels, Madson, Myers, Ruiz, Howard, Utley, Rollins..all in that era of the late 90s early 2000s when Arbuckle was in charge of scouting. 

3 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agree.  He was hot upon his call up and has really done nothing since.  Whether that's because that's what he is or because coconut oil ruined him, will we every really know?  Some players come up and get hot then go cold when the League adjusts to them.  Others stay hot because they adjust to the adjustments made to them or can with stand them.  I like Hoskins and hoped he would come out of this, but I feel you are correct that we should have traded him when he was 'hot', especially since we have Brohm waiting in the wings.

My problem with hoskins is more that I think he’s just an average first baseman And if this continues below average. You need better at from a guy batting atop of the lineup then just good on base percentage. He’s expected to hit homers and drive in runs. To me first base is a power hitting position. You can be average defensively if power and an rbi machine. Currently for over a year now, you’re getting below average numbers for the position from hoskins since August 2018. The reason I would’ve traded them was I think you’re going to wind up seeing he’s an average first baseman. I think at the end of last year you could’ve at least made the case that maybe was Gabe Kapler and maybe somebody thinks they could fix them and give you more than what he was worth.

I think the risk he comes back to 2017 and early 2018 hoskins was foolish. But then again i also thought signing wheeler to that contract was as well and mccutchen. 

5 minutes ago, 700Level4Life said:

Hamels, Madson, Myers, Ruiz, Howard, Utley, Rollins..all in that era of the late 90s early 2000s when Arbuckle was in charge of scouting. 

Yep. I think that’s a major reason why you see complacency with this team. There’s a lot of guys who got paid a ton of money in their careers or know they are going to get major money. nola, hoskins, Neris and Kingery are the only major contributors that were homegrown from the Phillies farm system. And frankly i think nola is a no. 2. Kingery is an Ok second baseman, neris is a solid pen arm, hoskins is overrated. Literally the two eras where the Phillies dominated they had stars all over the field. Phillies have harper and Realmuto and Realmuto might leave. 

• Like 1

Some no-crowd peculiarities to note:

~ Is that digital ad covering some cardboard cutouts?

~ I heard that one guy boo after the Marlin hit that home run.

~ The fake crowd went wild cheering when that foul ball was hit and it curved in front of the pole.

~ Bryce Harper just tossed the ball from the third out into an empty grandstand.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

Agreed. He walked a lot last year, because Gabe wanted players to walk when the situation didnt call for it, and teams didnt mind pitching around him, because they knew he had no speed. Him batting second is the equivalant of Luzinski batting leadoff. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

My problem with hoskins is more that I think he’s just an average first baseman And if this continues below average. You need better at from a guy batting atop of the lineup then just good on base percentage. He’s expected to hit homers and drive in runs. To me first base is a power hitting position. You can be average defensively if power and an rbi machine. Currently for over a year now, you’re getting below average numbers for the position from hoskins since August 2018. The reason I would’ve traded them was I think you’re going to wind up seeing he’s an average first baseman. I think at the end of last year you could’ve at least made the case that maybe was Gabe Kapler and maybe somebody thinks they could fix them and give you more than what he was worth.

I think the risk he comes back to 2017 and early 2018 hoskins was foolish. But then again i also thought signing wheeler to that contract was as well and mccutchen. 

I see your points and agree.  1B IS a power hitting position.  You can be average to rubbish defensively, but need to put up HRs and RBIs.  One year wonders, especially in their FIRST season, are prime trade bait.  The law of averages that they're going to sustain that over multiple years is dicey at best.  Trade them when they're 'hot' and cash in on more less flash in the pan but more sustaining long term prospects.  Easier said than done, but it's how business needs to be conducted.

• Like 1