Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

At least they suck out of the gate and haven’t got anyones hopes up.

I wonder if the slide continues they consider firing Girardi as a shake up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

At least they suck out of the gate and haven’t got anyones hopes up.

I wonder if the slide continues they consider firing Girardi as a shake up.

That’s what I’m hoping.  Also pretty much everyone should be on the trade block.

This team seems to be unable to hit since 2010 or so. It doesn't matter who the players are or who the manager is. The guys we have hit before they come here, they hit after they leave. Its not the park, because other teams hit here, and we dont hit on the road either. They seem to fire the hitting coach every year. The phillies just dont hit no matter who wears the uniform. It's flat out bizarre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gannan said:

This team seems to be unable to hit since 2010 or so. It doesn't matter who the players are or who the manager is. The guys we have hit before they come here, they hit after they leave. Its not the park, because other teams hit here, and we dont hit on the road either. They seem to fire the hitting coach every year. The phillies just dont hit no matter who wears the uniform. It's flat out bizarre. 

This team has no leadership and no desire to win.  When things go south they don’t have anyone who can lead them out of it, including the manager.  They don’t have a stopper on the mound either.  It’s a very poorly constructed roster and they thought they could mask the many issues by just scoring 10 runs a game…but it’s clear that isn’t happening.  And there is no quick fix.

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

This team has no leadership and no desire to win.  When things go south they don’t have anyone who can lead them out of it, including the manager.  They don’t have a stopper on the mound either.  It’s a very poorly constructed roster and they thought they could mask the many issues by just scoring 1 run a game…but it’s clear that isn’t happening.  And there is no quick fix.

FYP

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Holy ish.  WTF happened to him?  That's like the difference between Haden Christensen and the guy Luke popped out of the suit in ROTJ. 

Apparently he’s legit prepping for a role playing a 600 lb. recluse in a move called "Whale”

26 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

I bought an mlb.tv subscription this year thinking they'd be watchable. 

Its early, hang in there!!

Smells like a win tonight, if they lose this game I going to Ukraine and fight in the war

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, What The F said:

Its me. You're all welcome. 

20220416_193943.jpg

20220416_193953.jpg

20220416_193925.jpg

So need to follow the Phillies and go to every game. We need your presence to win games. Lol. 

that said for as bad of a fielder as bohm is, his bat has been absolutely great so far this year. They need to figure out how to get him into the lineup more. Also schwarber needs to get going cause right now he’s basically useless cause he’s a bad fielder and can’t hit worth crap. Too early to say it’s a bust but my biggest fear was last year was a contract year and he got hit for 3-4 months and you weren’t going to get that schwarber as often as what you were paying him. 

• Haha 1

Typical Phillies. Score 10 runs one game and get shutout the next. Also typical Phillies, losing a series to the Marlins. Is Wheeler still on his spring training routine or can we start to be concerned? For the love of God, they can't hit nor pitch. 

• Like 2

We ended up not going to the game today.  Toddler woke up sick.  And look what happens......  

On 4/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, Green_Guinness said:

Holy ish.  WTF happened to him?  That's like the difference between Haden Christensen and the guy Luke popped out of the suit in ROTJ. 

Mental health issues

5 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Typical Phillies. Score 10 runs one game and get shutout the next. Also typical Phillies, losing a series to the Marlins. Is Wheeler still on his spring training routine or can we start to be concerned? For the love of God, they can't hit nor pitch. 

Or field.  Otherwise, they're fine!

1 hour ago, therealdawk said:

Or field.  Otherwise, they're fine!

Or run the bases.  But besides that we got ourselves a solid team!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Or run the bases.  But besides that we got ourselves a solid team!

Or field…

Look it hasn’t been a good start, but let’s maybe wait more than two weeks before we start freaking out. Unless I’m misremembering, even during their good run years from ‘08-‘11 they always started slow. Not saying this team is like those ones, but you can’t overreact in April. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Look it hasn’t been a good start, but let’s maybe wait more than two weeks before we start freaking out. Unless I’m misremembering, even during their good run years from ‘08-‘11 they always started slow. Not saying this team is like those ones, but you can’t overreact in April. 

Honestly i think they’ve tuned out Girardi.  These guys are already just going through the motions.  That’s a direct reflection on the manager.  That combined with a poorly constructed roster, no pitching and no speed is not a recipe for success.  This lineup was built to be able to consistently score runs.  They haven’t done that.  Their pitching obviously can’t overcome the prolonged cold streaks.  I don’t doubt they’ll get hot at some point, but it’s not going to be sustained enough to make the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pitching is not what it will be later in the year.  None of those guys got the work they are used to getting in Feb and March.  I am concerned about the offense and Giardi.  But then again....I didn't like the last manager as some sensitive little bish pointed out....Just let me know when everyone has joined on board the anti-Girardi express.  

I'm sort of the opposite.

The bats will come around.  The problem remains that the Phils still have precious few .300 type hitters.  Launch angle power hitters?  Yes.  Moneyball OBP guys who get on base despite mediocre contact?  Yes.  Those both matter and we've got them.  But, IMO, and no one has yet mathematically proved it in the analytics era, but our lack of high batting average barrel to ball reliable contact hitters is the primary reason that the offense is just so wildly streaky year in, year out.  Too darn hot and cold.  They are cold right now.  And the hot phase, the runs, and the winning streak will come.  That's a major concern in a postseason run...a bit less of a concern for getting to the post-season.  Over the full course of a season, they'll get their runs.

I do worry about the pitching...not the bullpen.  That's icing on the cake that can be fixed at a deadline.  It's the starting pitching.  Ranger Suarez was always fool's gold.  A lefty long reliever/back of rotation starter with ordinary stuff puts up great numbers in his first pass through the majors.  That's not a building block...that's a filler.  I don't trust Nola to be a #2 in a competitive rotation, especially a rotation that is theoretically top heavy without great depth.  And Wheeler...he's the best thing we've got going and I still do trust him despite a rough start to the season.  Put it all together and the starting rotation is more hurt then help.

• Like 2

The funny thing...and this won't be a popular take...is that the best thing the Phillies have going for them is the ownership.  Only a tiny fraction of MLB teams have ownership that has both the required interest in winning and resources to actually pay for a competitive roster.  The Phillies are one of those teams.  In major league baseball, that's 90% of the battle and we actually have it.  The problem is that the coaching, drafting, communication...basically everything...with prospect identification and development is amongst the absolute worst in all of baseball.  It is simultaneously both pathetic and impressive that this is a .500 team with the money they put into it and the production they get from their home-grown players.

• Like 2