Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

About four or five years ago, I went to a Reading Phillies-Trenton Thunder game in Trenton with my father. We had incredible seats (we had "connections"). We were literally in the second row, right behind the plate. I had never been that close to the action in my life. In the first row, there was a Yankees scout who was charting the game. Trenton was the Yankees AA affiliate. In the seats directly behind us sat two Phillies scouts who yapped back and forth for about two hours straight while they were doing their charting. It was impossible not to listen to their conversation. One of the scouts was an older guy. The other was younger. The older guy was sort of a know-it-all who was mentoring the younger guy. At some point they were discussing Phillies prospects. Pivetta's name came up. The older guy spoke in glowing terms about him, like he had the stuff to become a dominant starting pitcher. I was sort of excited to hear that, and it was something that I always reflected on when Pivetta was in the rotation. He was always a tease. You could see he had talent but he never really put it together. It was understandable that they finally gave up on him.

I'm not complaining about the decision to move on from him because he really wasn't doing it. But still, you had to think he might still put it together because he actually had the physical tools to be good. So I'm not really surprised.

Phillies are now #10 in the Power Rankings...  

2 hours ago, EAGLE5 said:

For the NL East? 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, EAGLE5 said:

Too high.  But if they can win the two series coming up against the Padres and Braves….

• Like 1

This offense without Bryce is always horrific and we are about to be 0-3 vs. Texas unless we figure it out the next 3 innings 

34 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This offense without Bryce is always horrific and we are about to be 0-3 vs. Texas unless we figure it out the next 3 innings 

No chance 

The Phillies signing familia and knebel to a combine $16 mil is laughable. Both of these aholes are terrible. And familia everyone knew prior to FA. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The Phillies signing familia and knebel to a combine $16 mil is laughable. Both of these aholes are terrible. And familia everyone knew prior to FA. 

I was on the fence about Knebel but hated the Familia signing. I knew this was the performance we were going to get from this stiff.

• Like 2

Phillies are back. Bad defense, no hitting and a bad bullpen. Add on losing to bad teams again 

• Like 1

Defense is looking stellar tonight. Rhys and Odubel are trying to lose this game.

Realmuto and Castellanos are horribly overpaid stiffs.

• Like 1

Here comes the losing streak followed by a bad stretch where they go something like 5-15 over a twenty game period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Here comes the losing streak followed by a bad stretch where they go something like 5-15 over a twenty game period.

It’s been the most consistent thing they’ve done over 3.5 years. Besides the Braves, the teams ahead of them in the wildcard have been consistent all year and playing well. They are not going to catch them going from one extreme to the other. 

like i said no great manager is going to fix this team, it's the players or who are the culprits screwing up the clubhouse.

13 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

like i said no great manager is going to fix this team, it's the players or who are the culprits screwing up the clubhouse.

But that doesn't stop the talk radio morons and callers from screaming the manager sucks, I guarantee in a week they are calling for Thomson to be fired 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Wait.  You didn’t think Girardi should have been fired?   Really?

Sure, but it really is not going to make a difference

• Like 1

Let’s see if the bullpen holds this lead and if we actually use Dominguez as the closer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

All it took was for me to criticize the offense in here.  Welp, my jobs done.  It’s late.  Goodnight.  

You brought so much offense might not get to see if Dominguez is the closer 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:01 PM, John Blutarski said:

Realmuto and Castellanos are horribly overpaid stiffs.

I was going to comment on this yesterday, but it's just like...that's baseball. It's such an incredibly streaky game, and it seems almost like the norm that guys get a big contract and then start playing like sh**, often because of the structure of baseball contracts. More than any other sport, you are usually paying for past performance. But guys are going to slump hard at certain points. You just gotta hope it evens out in the end. The real thing to me, though, is that these guys tend to get paid when they're past their athletic primes. But it's not their fault. It's how the league is designed.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

LOL.  Yeah ok.  Didn’t make any difference at all.  

Oh wow they are a few games above 500, great!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2