Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

8 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d say hoskins had it in October and was back for the start of the season. However hoskins’ was his non throwing elbow.

Well, as far as I’m concerned, Harper wouldn’t need to throw next year, at least for the first couple of months. Let him DH as long as necessary. So if having elbow surgery in October means he can hit next April, I say you just wait out his broken thumb injury and hope he can return in August and the team is still faintly in playoff contention. It isn’t likely but you gotta try. 

12 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Well, as far as I’m concerned, Harper wouldn’t need to throw next year, at least for the first couple of months. Let him DH as long as necessary. So if having elbow surgery in October means he can hit next April, I say you just wait out his broken thumb injury and hope he can return in August and the team is still faintly in playoff contention. It isn’t likely but you gotta try. 

I’d really use the next 16 games to help make my decision. Besides the nationals, the next 16 games are against good teams and most against teams ahead of them in the standings. They are currently 2.5 back of St. Louis/Milwaukee for the last wildcard. If they find themselves 8-9 back by the all star break then I’d probably make the decision to have the surgery. If they can manage to be within 4-5 games I’d probably hope he can return in august. That said even if he returns in august it’s likely mid-august. I’m guessing he’s going to be a little rusty after not being able to swing a bat for at least 4 weeks.

Hate saying it, but Bryce might have been right when he told reporters last night he was better off if the ball got him in the face like last year then his thumb. I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines my face took a 98 mph pitch and was fine but my thumb couldn’t take the 97. 

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d really use the next 16 games to help make my decision. Besides the nationals, the next 16 games are against good teams and most against teams ahead of them in the standings. They are currently 2.5 back of St. Louis/Milwaukee for the last wildcard. If they find themselves 8-9 back by the all star break then I’d probably make the decision to have the surgery. If they can manage to be within 4-5 games I’d probably hope he can return in august. That said even if he returns in august it’s likely mid-august. I’m guessing he’s going to be a little rusty after not being able to swing a bat for at least 4 weeks.

Hate saying it, but Bryce might have been right when he told reporters last night he was better off if the ball got him in the face like last year then his thumb. I forget the exact quote but it was something along the lines my face took a 98 mph pitch and was fine but my thumb couldn’t take the 97. 

The few times he’s been out of the lineup they have struggled to score. That’s not going to change.  They are done…get the surgery and be ready for next season 

19 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Seriously though F Blake Snell 

He’s had control issues the last 2 years in SD. After he left tampa he’s not been the same. I love padres fans saying harper is a diva or immature cause he responded the way he did. I’m pretty sure most players if they get plunked and know it’s going to be bad are likely to show emotion. Heck I’ve seen players get hit in the shoulder show as much if not more and they were perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

Gibson is plunking dudes left and right, one in the ankle 🦴 and another in the knee. 

Bullpen has gotten 28 consecutive outs. Haven’t had a runner on since 8th inning of Wednesday. Great the bullpen is rounding into form just as we lose harper. 

Big couple wins since Harper going down. The all star break is coming up, which will give Harper some extra time to rest. Hopefully Bryce is only out 6-7 weeks. If they can play .500 ball until he gets back, they should still be in contention for the final WC spots.

Dr. Andrew Sobel, MD is a hand and upper extremity orthopedic surgeon at Penn Medicine and see patients in Philadelphia and Berwyn Pa. He joined Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show on Monday to discuss Harper's injury.

"If the bone is really shifted, most likely that would probably benefit for some surgery," Dr. Sobel said.

"I would expect him to back by [the postseason], I would  hope."

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/phillies/doctor-talks-phillies-bryce-harpers-broken-thumb

Note to self. Next time harper gets ejected order him a pizza off door dash or Uber eats 

27 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Morosi says 4-6 weeks for Harper

That would seem to be the best case scenario 

1 minute ago, GoEagles5921 said:

That would seem to be the best case scenario 

Agreed. I was going to say I'll take six weeks thinking originally it would be much longer.

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Morosi says 4-6 weeks for Harper

Pretty amazing kadri had surgery on his thumb and came back 16 days later for the avs and won them game 4. 

13 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Pretty amazing kadri had surgery on his thumb and came back 16 days later for the avs and won them game 4. 

Hockey players are built different 

5 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Oh for sure. I’m less shocked he played and more that he was actually effective with that injury. 

54 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That guy is never right so all that does is confirm he isn’t coming here

6 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Yeah 90% of baseball players if they tried hockey would be out for the season by game 2. Harper seems like the other 10% so he may make it back soon