Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

Looked like in that clip Salisbury kind of lost it.  I think that’s why we have to see the whole thing

Way to go Rhys. Way to drop that foul ball  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah. But Twitter turned into that Matt gelb thinks too highly of himself and he was being sexist towards her cause he wouldn’t have said what he did to another male reporter/journalist 

They all looked and acted like petulant children. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

Looked like in that clip Salisbury kind of lost it.  I think that’s why we have to see the whole thing

The "whole thing" included Castellanos saying "are we done here" and then got into it with Salisbury off the record. 

Pretty much all of the beat writers have a problem with that part being edited out and that it shouldn't have been aired in the first place. 

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What a trade it was lol 

The only one who was half way decent was Padilla. The other 3 were hot garbage. 

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I've been thinking about this lately. Obviously when Nola or Wheeler pitch we are typically going up against the other teams best starters. I wonder if our guys besides Harper just aren't good against good pitching and just consistently get shut down in these matchups. Then against mediocre to bad pitching they are better than league average?

Just trying to figure it out because it cannot just all be bad luck for Wheeler and Nola when Wheeler has been unbelievably good and Nola certainly an above average pitcher. There has to be something to why it consistently happens.

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I've been thinking about this lately. Obviously when Nola or Wheeler pitch we are typically going up against the other teams best starters. I wonder if our guys besides Harper just aren't good against good pitching and just consistently get shut down in these matchups. Then against mediocre to bad pitching they are better than league average?

Just trying to figure it out because it cannot just all be bad luck for Wheeler and Nola when Wheeler has been unbelievably good and Nola certainly an above average pitcher. There has to be something to why it consistently happens.

pressure, if you dont have a good three and fourth spot pitchers and only have wheeler and nola, the pressure is going to start mounting on them and eventually wear down and start struggling.

same issues with the hitting, harper is being out is hurting us, not to mention the rest of the hitters arent good and the pressure is catching up to the star hitters as well. you need more hitters.

4 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Think your first paragraph is accurate. However bohm is batting .290. He needs more power but he’s actually been a good hitter this year. But everyone else in the lineup when you look at is below .250 besides realmuto ( he just got above .250 yesterday). Harper, bohm and segura are really the only guys that consistently hit. Everyone else is super streaky and right now Hoskins, Schwarber and Castellanos are all cold. Even with Schwarber‘s homer yesterday he is not  batting well this month. He either hit a home run or he is an out. Rhys has been poor this month too. And castellanos has no power and isn’t consistent like bohm to not have that power loss. 

Nola this year has been very good. Last year he just wasn’t very good. Had a 4.68 era. He was his own enemy second and third time through the lineup and with 2 strikes. 

I think the bigger issue is that if there wasn’t another seventh playoff spot the Phillies wouldn’t be anywhere close to making the playoffs again. This team is not as good as it looks on paper. I think it’s built wrong. Really bohm, stott, hoskins, Dominguez, Suarez and nola are the home grown talent on this roster. Stott isn’t ready yet for the role. Hoskins is overrated. Suarez is a 3-4 starter. Nola and bohm have been fine. There’s something to be said with growing up together in the farm system and learning how to play with each other and win with each other.  When the Phillies were in their peak, they had their Core with guys that grew up in the system and added pieces after that. This team just basically spent a ton of money outside of like five players that grew up in the system they don’t do enough to be a core and is expecting them to win.

I think its much harder to win like that. Really the Yankees and Mets are the only ones having great success doing that. But even the Yankees have judge and Mets have Alonso who are mvp candidates, but also good pitching and their defense isn’t awful like the Phillies. Braves build through the system. Dodgers built up a great farm system and then began adding pieces using their farm or FA. Their rotation is built through farm system. Imo you want to be like the Braves, who build up the farm like they have. But with being the Phillies after you do then you can spend too. Phillies just spend and the farm system is still not very good outside of 3-4 prospects who really aren’t that close. Imo stott should likely not have been up this year. It should’ve been down the road but at least he’s getting his learning curve in now 

Crapellanos killing the inning. Runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out…. Grounds into a DP. 

24 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Offense explodes for 3 

5 and then hall (my bad thought it was nick) kills the inning again with another double play. What’s the record for most double plays hit into in a single game? 

Gibson has pitched well today. Let's hope he doesn't unravel here.

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

5 and then castellanos kills the inning again with another double play. What’s the record for most double plays hit into in a single game? 

Hopefully Salisbury will ask him about it post game. I hope the media continues to lay into this **** all year long. Maybe eventually he'll take it like a grown man.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Good job.

That might be the first positive thing I've posted about the team all season. Now I know better...

3 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

Hopefully Salisbury will ask him about it post game. I hope the media continues to lay into this **** all year long. Maybe eventually he'll take it like a grown man.

I’m for it but media needs to be after hoskins too. Besides June he’s been bad too. Those 3 months he’s batting .217 (56/258), .296 OBP, 12 HRs, 30 RBI, 79 Ks and 30 BB

If bohm just adds some power with how he’s hitting then look out. He’s become a really good big league hitter outside of the power

Winning the series against the Braves would be huge…definitely wasn’t expecting that