Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

15 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

No

This.  And one of the padres/cardinals are going to get Soto so that doesn’t help 

The only thing going for the Phillies is the schedule....I mean, based upon the teams they have, they should go 40-20 the rest of the way....but they'll end up like 32-28 and miss the playoffs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

The only thing going for the Phillies is the schedule....I mean, based upon the teams they have, they should go 40-20 the rest of the way....but they'll end up like 32-28 and miss the playoffs.

I would argue there's a few other things going for them. 

Alec Bohm's return to exceptional hitting.

Harper and Segura coming back.

Realmuto and Castellanos starting to hit a little bit.

If they're able to maintain this level of play and add Segura and Harper to the lineup, there's no reason they shouldn't at least get the last wildcard spot, barring some additional bad injuries.

They're an up and down team with a few holes in a division with two premier teams. I'm excited to watch the rest of the way.

I don't think they are that far away from the Cardinals Padres and Brewers. They're basically all similar teams in my opinion. Also, they don't have to be better than them. Just better than the schedule to teams they are playing.

It’s like they know this team

5. Ian Happ, OF, Chicago Cubs

He's not a free agent until after 2023, so there's no guarantee he gets traded. He's hitting a solid .279/.360/.436, and while he's played left field this year for all but 12 innings, he does have experience in the past in center field -- for a team willing to stretch him defensively. The Dodgers and Padres could both also look at Happ as the backup plan to Soto.

Prediction: Phillies. When Bryce Harperreturns, that might set up an outfield of Kyle Schwarber in left, Happ in center and Nick Castellanos in right with Harper at DH. Yes, that's a bad idea, but that hasn't stopped the Phillies before.

Never know in a series. Get hot at the right time. Would have had to avoid the unavoidable seven game losing streak coming up, though.

The upside is the Phillies still have a bunch of games left with the Nats (11) and none against the Pads.

With Soto and Bell gone from the Nats, those games just got a lot easier.

14 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Padres got Soto, Bell and Hader..... 

Jesus. 

It’s gonna happen but i do find it funny hosmer is holding it up. If i were hosmer i don’t want to go from the padres and San Diego to Washington either lol 

Got done but hosmer like no way I’m going there is great comedy 

7 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1659460236047.jpg

I counter this with the phanatic 

A5E75335-D3F5-48CA-9F31-465512004642.thumb.jpeg.51f5b0866e049e22aa70a3fbd2d93ada.jpeg

I have two ways of looking at this. First I think the Phillies internally do not believe this team is a World Series contender so they don’t want to give up major prospects on a roster that they think can make the playoffs but really not do as much damage in the playoffs. So they rather hold off until next year and add a piece like trea turner and possibly another starter. then next year if a big-time player comes along they would trade one of their big time prospects if a player could put them over the top. My other line of thinking is they’re already over the luxury tax and they just don’t want to pay more when they aren’t all in on the belief they can beat a team like the Mets, Dodgers, Padres now and Braves in a playoff series. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I counter this with the phanatic 

A5E75335-D3F5-48CA-9F31-465512004642.thumb.jpeg.51f5b0866e049e22aa70a3fbd2d93ada.jpeg

I have two ways of looking at this. First I think the Phillies internally do not believe this team is a World Series contender so they don’t want to give up major prospects on a roster that they think can make the playoffs but really not do as much damage in the playoffs. So they rather hold off until next year and add a piece like trea turner and possibly another starter. then next year if a big-time player comes along they would trade one of their big time prospects if a player could put them over the top. My other line of thinking is they’re already over the luxury tax and they just don’t want to pay more when they aren’t all in on the belief they can beat a team like the Mets, Dodgers, Padres now and Braves in a playoff series. 

i mean i love soto but we are not going afford 500 to 600 million for him, i would rather throw money on a older star,  these contracts that these younger star players are getting, it's getting more impossible to afford them, unless it's a tanking team.

8 games above .500, we're obviously good enough to contend with the bullpen and roster that we currently have.

9 minutes ago, The_Omega said:

8 games above .500, we're obviously good enough to contend with the bullpen and roster that we currently have.

Contend for a playoff spot. I don’t think you are beating the dodgers, Mets, Braves or padres in a series. There’s a difference between playoff spot contention and World Series contender. Some of the Phillies pitching and bullpen the last 2 months is their schedule has been one of the easiest in baseball. You aren’t facing those teams in postseason. You have to win 3 or 4 against the teams i just mentioned. I think they need another starter and centerfielder. Plus you still have defensive issues that tend to catch up on playoff games 

40 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

i mean i love soto but we are not going afford 500 to 600 million for him, i would rather throw money on a older star,  these contracts that these younger star players are getting, it's getting more impossible to afford them, unless it's a tanking team.

I didn’t want soto over a ace starter. He’s really not a fit with castellanos and schwarber here. And harper is a corner outfielder. They don’t have room for him as no one would take on castellanos at the current moment with the money and production. So you have to sit castellanos making the money he is to play harper, soto and schwarber. They would likely be more going after another high end starter or centerfielder or long term SS like Turner. Problem is market for CF was not good besides benintendi and happ (i think overvalued by cubs). No one like Turner available in middle infield. And starters were Castillo and montas with teams that have better prospect pool

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I didn’t want soto. He’s not a fit with castellanos and schwarber here. And harper is a corner outfielder. They would likely be more going after another high end starter or centerfielder or long term SS like Turner. Problem is market for CF was not good besides benintendi. No one like Turner available. And starters were Castillo and montas with teams that have better prospect pool

:rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

:rolleyes:

Let me rephrase i wanted a starter like  Bieber over soto. We could use another ace starter as wheeler is getting older. Soto they were never going to do it as don’t have prospects nor a place for him with their roster construction. You are going to eat castellanos contract as he rots on the bench or have to likely trade him for nothing and eat part of his salary in the trade. Was not going to happen due to the Phillies having 3 corner outfielders and likely moving bohm to first in the future as he’s not a long term third baseman. Hence why i would want an ace type pitcher over soto. Their roster construction killed any dream for soto along with prospect pool. 

22 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Eflin likely done for the year. 

That’s ok they claimed a guy with a 8 ERA were fine there 

2 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

That’s ok they claimed a guy with a 8 ERA were fine there 

It’s why i made the point i rather have a front end of the rotation starter over soto due to roster construction and need. Eflin is done. Wheeler is 33 next year. Nola is on the last year of his contract next year. If you got someone like Bieber he’s 27 and under team control for 2.5 years. Even Castillo and montas you had under control for another year. Add on makes Suarez and gibson pushed into their rightful spots in the rotation. They need defensive help in the outfield (also third base tbh). Their bullpen is fine although i don’t fully trust guys against better hitting teams. Rotation has a massive hole in their third spot and potentially 5th with gibson and if Suarez holds up. 

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s why i made the point i rather have a front end of the rotation starter over soto due to roster construction and need. Eflin is done. Wheeler is 33 next year. Nola is on the last year of his contract next year. If you got someone like Bieber he’s 27 and under team control for 2.5 years. Even Castillo and montas you had under control for another year. Add on makes Suarez and gibson pushed into their rightful spots in the rotation. They need defensive help in the outfield (also third base tbh). Their bullpen is fine although i don’t fully trust guys against better hitting teams. Rotation has a massive hole in their third spot and potentially 5th with gibson and if Suarez holds up. 

Don’t think they are making a move.  They Gave up on the season today.  Pathetic