Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

2 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Don’t think they are making a move.  They Gave up on the season today.  Pathetic 

Possibly they don’t make a move. I think the bigger issue is they don’t have prospects that teams want except for the ones they said were untouchable which is like 5 guys. That’s been the Phillies problem.  They had all these top picks when they were really bad that amounted to nothing and have no value. In fact they got nothing for Hasley and moniak is a bust. Kingery did nothing. it’s a problem when you try to go make a trade for somebody useful at the deadline. It’s basically why the Phillies have to use free agency to build up this roster because they’ve been so bad at their international scouting development and klentak and mcphail failures in drafting and developing. 

If the price is super high on Syndergaard I wouldn’t pay that price. The problem with rodon is that he can opt out at the end of the year so he’s a free agent. So you’ll be overpaying for two months. Some of these teams are overvaluing of their players and they gonna get stuck with guys are just gonna lose at the end of the year anyways. The Giants it makes sense to overvalue. if he leaves it’s probably better than any of the prospects are going to get anyways. But Syndergaard he’s gonna leave and they’re gonna get nothing for him. And the angels aren’t close to a wildcard spot. So you’re basically just eating the rest of that contract. 

2 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Am I missing something on this Marsh guy? Seems like a high price.

EDIT: Guess he's a good defensive CF and might still develop as a hitter while under team control. Still...

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Am I missing something on this Marsh guy? Seems like a high price.

EDIT: Guess he's a good defensive CF and might still develop as a hitter while under team control. Still...

He’s got a lot of controllable years left. Good defensively. But he’s the same type of hitter as we’ve seen from the centerfielders we have. Which I guess is not a problem once you get Segura and Harper back. I think the thing is you see them make a splash for trea Turner in the offseason so they really didn’t want to make a huge splash in terms of money on a centerfielder. 

• Like 1

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

He’s got a lot of controllable years left. Good defensively. But he’s the same type of hitter as we’ve seen from the centerfielders we have. Which I guess is not a problem once you get Segura and Harper back. I think the thing is you see them make a splash for trea Turner in the offseason so they really didn’t want to make a huge splash in terms of money on a centerfielder. 

I guess, and it's good that he's under control and cheap. Just...underwhelming.

If this means Herrera is cut...WORTH IT.

• Like 1

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I don't know anything about this Marsh guy but is he better defensively than Vierling? If not, I would have just stuck with him and kept O'hoppe. 

Good news is Odubel likely has to be out now with Marsh coming in. 

• Like 2

Just now, Shepard Wong said:

Imo that’s a potential for a bad deal in a couple years. I like Robertson but I’m not trading one of my better pitching prospects (has good upside) for a reliever who’s 37 and a FA at the end of the year. Frankly they could’ve just Fing signed Robertson last offseason instead of crappy ass familia for $6 mil.  

9 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I don't know anything about this Marsh guy but is he better defensively than Vierling? If not, I would have just stuck with him and kept O'hoppe. 

He’s better than vierling defensively. Really helps castellanos and schwarber in the outfield. but it really isn’t so significant enough for me to want to deal O’hoppe so they Phillies must think at 24 he’ll become a better hitter. Fielding in 2021 was .994 and this year .983. The thing with O’hoppe is realmuto is starting to decline and he could be a nice catch who can hit and be ready by 2024 when relamuto really declines. 

• Like 1

Terrible trades IMO.

Marsh sucks at the plate. Beyond terrible. Robertson, while a good reliever, wasn’t really a need and offers no controllable years after this season.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

Take 2

hopefully the sequel is much better. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blazehound said:

Terrible trades IMO.

Marsh sucks at the plate. Beyond terrible. Robertson, while a good reliever, wasn’t really a need and offers no controllable years after this season.

Looking at his stats for the first two years of his mlb career, idk if I'd say he sucks at the plate.....hes not winning a silver slugger this year sure but ok.

We needed one more decent bullpen arm to make the bullpen formidable in my opinion. I definitely think it was a need if we are trying to make a postseason push. Idk if I'd have given up what we did for Robertson though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Looking at his stats for the first two years of his mlb career, idk if I'd say he sucks at the plate.....hes not winning a silver slugger this year sure but ok.

We needed one more decent bullpen arm to make the bullpen formidable in my opinion. I definitely think it was a need if we are trying to make a postseason push. Idk if I'd have given up what we did for Robertson though.

Marsh has had 4 homers and 11 RBI batting a lusty .180 since June.

Yeah, I’d say he sucks at the plate. 

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Can never have too many BP arms.  But this offense is way to streaky and Marsh doesn’t fix that.  

Odubel DFA’d!!!!    Woo hoooo!!!

Adding in the end of Odubel, I now love this trade. 

In all seriousness, seems Marsh hit at every level in the minors. Hopefully he develops while adding defense. Still a steep price, but not horrific. 

4 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Tbh this goes back to the Phillies not having a good farm system. So you’re giving up talent for a good reliever with no control after this year and old. A centerfielder that’s good defensively but can’t really hit. If you had the farm system churning guys out this wouldn’t be that big of an issue. But you don’t so this becomes much harder be willing to give up those players for marsh and Robertson. Just my opinion I wouldn’t have traded O’Hoppe for marsh. Realmuto has already shown that he is starting to decline. In two years you might need him to be the catcher and he is a good hitting catcher. Catching prospect that can hit and field is a valuable commodity. Much more so than hoping marsh learns how to hit at the mlb level after basically 2 years. Feels like marsh is destined to be a platoon CF unless he turns around his hitting. 

• Like 2