Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

Witholding judgement on the 2nd prospect

But if we got Syndergaard, Robertson and Marsh without giving up any top prospects besides O'Hoppe, that's way better than what I was expecting. 

Just saying I’d love to play the Mets in a series and syndergaard and wheeler eliminated the Mets. 

• Like 2

I kinda like these moves - not giving up anyone too notable and getting back some pitching and defense 

• Like 3

Sanchez wasn't on any of the preseason top 30 lists

4 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I kinda like these moves - not giving up anyone too notable and getting back some pitching and defense 

It's also damning that a former #1 overall pick isn't considered someone notable....

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I was afraid the price for Syndergaard was going to be higher. I’m good with this.

Yeah what they gave up for him I’m fine with. The asking price was reasonable. The Phillies are better today than yesterday. They are not better than the dodgers, padres, Mets or Braves but they are closer to being able to upset them in a series. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

How many more years of team control does Marsh have?

I believe until 2028 

• Like 1

Basically Marsh is Moniak with a better glove....

So we traded O'Hoppe, Moniak, Brown and Sanchez for Syndergaard, Robertson and Marsh.

I am 1000% good with this

• Like 1

Decent trades, Hoepfully no more herrera and familia now ,that is a plus just by itself

I like that he basically came for free, but this isn’t the Syndergaard you remember. His velocity is down. He hasn’t been good since 2019.

4 minutes ago, SB52 said:

I like that he basically came for free, but this isn’t the Syndergaard you remember. His velocity is down. He hasn’t been good since 2019.

He doesn’t need to be 2019 good. He just needs to be eflin good or slightly better. Which so far this year he’s got a 3.83 ERA (80 IP)and whip of 1.21 which is similar to 2018 and 2019 where he was 1.21 and 1.23. Add on might get the nats and marlins twice which helps.  Eflin had a 4.37 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP in 68 IP

Just now, SB52 said:

He's actually having a decent season....  Solid #3 starter. 

Hi last 7 starts:

image.png.754c8f19dfaaf10c7ec8af6b8c5daa29.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Decent trades, Hoepfully no more herrera and familia now ,that is a plus just by itself

I like the moves they made but this is definitely the best part of today.

We will crush the Mets :flex:.........in2030

Didn’t see this til now but holy f the padres got drury too  he’s having a good year for the reds  .274, .335 obp, 20 homers and 59 RBIs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Didn’t see this til now but holy f the padres got drury too  he’s having a good year for the reds  .274, .335 obp, 20 homers and 59 RBIs

Hopefully the can beat the dodgers or the mets

I absolutely loved Thor as a prospect and when he first came up.  His demise was the last straw that really caused me to re-evaluate what I want out of a young starting pitcher.

For the last 40 years, the greats (and great prospects) all had eye popping velocity with explosive breaking pitches and were unhittable for years on end.  Now, those types get Tommy John, have major availability issues, and fall off a cliff earlier in their careers.

It seems the best SP’s lately are less dominant with less velocity, more control, more durability/availability.

With all that said, nothing wrong with adding him on the cheap.

Still don’t understand the logic of doing a bullpen game against the Braves. Just move Nola’s start to today giving him extra rest. And do a bullpen game against the crap pirates and the day off the following day allows your bullpen to be rested going into the Braves series.