Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

14 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

I'm scared to ask (because I haven't looked), who in god's name is going to pitch game 4?  And would Wheeler be ready for game 5 if necessary?

Kyle Gibson is going to come back from the dead and throw a no-hitter in Game 4

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Kyle Gibson is going to come back from the dead and throw a no-hitter in Game 4

Don't even joke about that!   But really isn't it him or Syndergaard as our options at this point?

19 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Don't even joke about that!   But really isn't it him or Syndergaard as our options at this point?

Syndergaard is in the bullpen now - he pitched in relief last night.  

3 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Syndergaard is in the bullpen now - he pitched in relief last night.  

Yeah, but he could still start Game 4

• Like 1

Last home game was September 25th (an 8-7 loss to the Braves).  The three-week road trip is over.

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

Yeah, but he could still start Game 4

Yeah could argue his appearance was a side bullpen session. I’m guessing it’s falter piggybacked with syndergaard 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yeah could argue his appearance was a side bullpen session. I’m guessing it’s falter piggybacked with syndergaard 

Right, and Game 5 (if necessary) will be Ranger with the possibility of Wheeler on three day’s rest.

1 minute ago, Eaglesrule76 said:

Is game going to be rained out today?

There’s no game today. It’s a travel day. Game 3-5 is Friday thru Sunday 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

There’s no game today. It’s a travel day. Game 3-5 is Friday thru Sunday 

I’m an idiot, brain fart, thanks 

Strider going today.  Probably a L…they haven’t touched him all season 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Strider going today.  Probably a L…they haven’t touched him all season 

At least he’s likely only out there for 3 innings. Plus he might be rusty. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

True.  That’s helpful 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

And Morton will pitch game 4, so at least we have a fighting chance in that one. 

16 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

And Morton will pitch game 4, so at least we have a fighting chance in that one. 

Tbh i mentioned before game 2 I’d consider moving Wheeler to game 3 and nola to game 4. It was due to the potential rain but also i just think it set you up better to win the series. Losing game 2 wasn’t the end of the world for the Phillies if wheeler wasn’t pitching. 1-1 split in atlanta would’ve been fine and you’d have the advantage pitching wise in games 3 and 4. With Wheeler squaring off against wright it was a push and you were hoping the offense would figure out wright. Whereas in game 3 or 4 if atlanta went Morton, it’s an advantage Phillies with Wheeler or nola. If they went strider in either game 3 or 4 it’s still an advantage cause he’s on a pitch count with those two. 

at this point it’s not changeable and it is what it is. But i think now in hindsight the Phillies might regret not going that route. I get can still use Wheeler on short rest but with his forearm injury a month ago not sure if that’s the smartest thing for him. 

I don't want to be negative because usually I have very positive outlook on everything but all this talk of home being such a great place, lets review the last few series of playoff baseball at home. 2011 Lost game 5 against cards, choked game 2, 2010, lost NLCS at home to giants and lost game 1, 2009 lost 2 of 3 at home to Yankees.

45 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

I don't want to be negative because usually I have very positive outlook on everything but all this talk of home being such a great place, let’s review the last few series of playoff baseball at home. 2011 Lost game 5 against cards, choked game 2, 2010, lost NLCS at home to giants and lost game 1, 2009 lost 2 of 3 at home to Yankees.

Those were in a time where home playoff series had become pretty commonplace….they had just won’t he World Series in ‘08 so that crowd hunger wasn’t quite the same. 

That Philly crowd has now been waiting for over a decade for another one. It’s going to be electric. 

• Like 2

I just returned from vacation and found out that I will get the game on my new streaming service!  Totally psyched.  Early enough for me to watch.  Iggles/Boyz will be a tough one though starting at 2:20am.

btw - The most electric Phillies game that I ever attended was the 15-14 loss to the Blue Jays back in '93.  One of those Mitch special come from ahead losses.  Crazy nutty game played in a very very light almost undetectable drizzle.  It was back in the "whoomp there it is" phase.  Dykstra came within a foot of matching Reggie with three dingers.  Buddy of mine and I drove up from NoVA and scalped tickets.  Wasn't a fun ride home.

• Like 1