Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

They all getting traded for Mike Trout?

Hopefully Mike Trout comes here after both he and the Angels agree to tear up his contract.  👀

So in reading all the post offseason power rankings, seems everyone still has them behind the Dodgers, Padres, Mets and Braves?  And someone has to win the Central...

So basically they need to get a wildcard and potentially the last one again?  

I mean jesus, that doesn't seem right to me!

1 minute ago, NYEagle said:

So in reading all the post offseason power rankings, seems everyone still has them behind the Dodgers, Padres, Mets and Braves?  And someone has to win the Central...

So basically they need to get a wildcard and potentially the last one again?  

I mean jesus, that doesn't seem right to me!

If they don't dig themselves a hole in the first part of the season, like they did last year the standings could look very different.

Bryce is out until June or July.  I’m sure that’s some of it.

It's Machin's "second stint" with the Phillies, though the first lasted less than a day. The Phils selected him from the Cubs in the 2019 Rule 5 draft and then quickly traded him to Oakland for cash considerations.

Machin is a 29-year-old, left-handed hitter from Puerto Rico. He was originally drafted by the Cubs in 2015 out of VCU. Despite a lack of power, he's been a strong performer in 741 games at Triple A, hitting .307 with a .400 on-base percentage.

Last season, he hit .324/.401/.457 in 292 plate appearances for the Athletics' Triple A affiliate in Las Vegas. Across parts of three seasons in the majors, Machin has hit .208/.290/.261 with 14 doubles and a homer in 361 plate appearances.

Machin played first, second, third and short for the A's. Defensively, he's graded out as neutral.

2 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

None of the CBS experts rank the Phillies ahead of the Mets or Braves lol. 

Who gives a crap what these so called experts think, it is meaningless

10 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Who gives a crap what these so called experts think, it is meaningless

It gives us something to be pissed about, so we stay in shape as fans during the offseason

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

None of the CBS experts rank the Phillies ahead of the Mets or Braves lol. 

Look at the NL East division winner odds. Mets and Braves have significantly better odds than the Phillies. I think Bryce missing half the season has a lot to do with it. 

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

Look at the NL East division winner odds. Mets and Braves have significantly better odds than the Phillies. I think Bryce missing half the season has a lot to do with it. 

He will be back in May, Phillies are just saying July so when he comes back early they can act like he is Superman

7 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

He will be back in May, Phillies are just saying July so when he comes back early they can act like he is Superman

I’d be surprised if he returns in May. I think mid-June is more realistic based on Ohtani’s timeline for the same injury. 

3 hours ago, Blazehound said:

I’d be surprised if he returns in May. I think mid-June is more realistic based on Ohtani’s timeline for the same injury. 

I hope it’s mid June so when we play the dbacks i can see him. However i think he’s back in July. Ohtani when he had the surgery he did so oct 1. Harper didn’t have his til November 23rd. So nearly 2 months time difference. Ohtani in 2019 returned may 7th. So I’m guessing harper is likely beginning of July. 

Andrew Painter was voted the #1 pitching prospect in all of baseball according to a survey of MLB GMs and Executives 

FB_IMG_1673637802600.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, iladelphxx said:

Andrew Painter was voted the #1 pitching prospect in all of baseball according to a survey of MLB GMs and Executives 

FB_IMG_1673637802600.jpg

Trade him now before the curse kicks in. Imagine what they could have gotten for D Brown back in the day before he flamed out

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I can't find any info about this guy..... I think he either has the wrong name or someone punked him 

30 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I can't find any info about this guy..... I think he either has the wrong name or someone punked him 

Pretty sure he’s a 17 year old SS from Venezuela. 

Starlyn Caba, SS, Dominican Republic
Team: Phillies

The top Phillies international signing in their class from this year's signing period that opened on Jan. 15, 2022 was William Bergolla Jr., a lefthanded-hitting shortstop from Venezuela. Bergolla Jr. hit .380/.470/.423 in 83 plate appearances in the Dominican Summer League this year, drawing 11 walks and striking out just three times (3.6%), showing minimal power but with outstanding contact skills and the defensive attributes to stay at shortstop. Their top player for Jan. 15 is another shortstop with a similar build at 5-foot-10, 160 pounds who projects to stick at the position. Caba isn't a huge slugger, but he has more ability to drive the ball with impact at the same age compared to Bergolla Jr., driving the ball well to the gaps from both sides of the plate. He's a plus runner and a good athlete, which is evident in the way he plays shortstop. He's a fluid defender whose hands and feet work well at the position with an arm that's nearing plus and should be there soon with more strength gains.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/five-big-international-prospects-to-watch-for-2023/?amphtml