Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

9 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Easy, it’s April 11th. 

nola does suck though

Long way to go but i actually think making the playoffs might be harder this year. Cardinals are floundering right now but they tend to right the ship. But i actually think the dbacks are gonna be good. They have a solid lineup of young kids and good starting pitching. If they figure out their pen they’ll be better than what people expect. I wouldn’t be shocked if the NL west got the dodgers, dbacks and padres in. With no east winner and no central winner the Phillies could be competing with Mets, cards/brewers, cubs for the last 2 spots 

Tuner hitting the weakest 313 I have ever seen, no big hits I can recall

Good news realmuto had a meaningless hit in the 9th

I’m sure this will go well with the national media 

13 hours ago, devpool said:

Nola is gonna sink us

So is the bullpen to be honest. We’ve played 11 games and bullpen has given up at least 1 run in 9. Bullpen has thrown 39.2 innings and given up 32 runs, 32 and 45 hits. That’s Fing awful. 

6 hours ago, nipples said:

Crap start but I refuse to hit the panic button in April. Call me crazy. 

animal-house-kevin-bacon.gif

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Back mid of June? I guess that’s doable. Not ideal either. 

11 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Does Turner have a big hit yet?

Nope.  
This is a bad team.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Nope.  
This is a bad team.

Amazing is the Phillies are 3rd in the league in batting average and 21st in runs. They definitely are missing Rhys and harper to bring home those guys. Even for all of rhys’ flawless when he’s hot he drives guys in. 

the bullpen is a dumpster fire. 

Schwarber and JT are killing the line up. 

I’ve seen enough to conclude Kimbrel sucks and Soto is a major work in progress. I see why Detroit did not hesitate to deal him. 

5 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Schwarber and JT are killing the line up. 

I’ve seen enough to conclude Kimbrel sucks and Soto is a major work in progress. I see why Detroit did not hesitate to deal him. 

Tbh kimbrel wasn’t very good most of the year last year with the dodgers. His ERA was below 4 but it was deceiving. From May to august he had a 4.43 era. He really made himself some money with how he pitched in September/October cause he had a 2.51 ERA. But outside of that month of the year he wasn’t very good.  Heck the dodgers didn’t even have kimbrel on the playoff roster due to inconsistency. 

Honestly would allow them at the deadline to potentially just get another bat at nearly any position. If he’s good at first i likely look for an outfielder so that castellanos and schwarber don’t have the play the outfield as much. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Honestly would allow them at the deadline to potentially just get another bat at nearly any position. If he’s good at first i likely look for an outfielder so that castellanos and schwarber don’t have the play the outfield as much. 

This is what I was getting at after Rhys injury. It really opens up the options in the outfield if any of the three (Nick, Scwharb or Harper) play first base. 

Just now, BirdsFanBill said:

This is what I was getting at after Rhys injury. It really opens up the options in the outfield if any of the three (Nick, Scwharb or Harper) play first base. 

Depends on when harper is available to play first. Still might not be until later in July where they want him playing the field. Frankly the worry with harper playing first is he hasn’t done it a lot. It seems easy enough but there’s some nuance to playing the position with your feet as much as it’s using your glove. Hoping there’s not an incident like hoskins had a couple years ago where he tore his elbow trying to get a bad throw and the runner ran into him.

Tbh why i mentioned kris Bryant a couple days ago. He makes a lot of sense if you were willing to pay hoskins 22 mil a year for 4-5 years. He makes $26 for essentially the same amount of time and roughly same age. Granted I’m not giving up a boatload for him considering Rockies owe him a ton of money still and they’d likely love to ship him off to get out of thah contrsct when they are not contending. Plus Bryant can play 1st, 3rd and OF so he gives you positional versatility so you can rest guys and just DH them through the course of the week/season. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Depends on when harper is available to play first. Still might not be until later in July where they want him playing the field. Frankly the worry with harper playing first is he hasn’t done it a lot. It seems easy enough but there’s some nuance to playing the position with your feet as much as it’s using your glove. Hoping there’s not an incident like hoskins had a couple years ago where he tore his elbow trying to get a bad throw and the runner ran into him.

Tbh why i mentioned kris Bryant a couple days ago. He makes a lot of sense if you were willing to pay hoskins 22 mil a year for 4-5 years. He makes $26 for essentially the same amount of time and roughly same age. Granted I’m not giving up a boatload for him considering Rockies owe him a ton of money still and they’d likely love to ship him off to get out of thah contrsct when they are not contending. Plus Bryant can play 1st, 3rd and OF so he gives you positional versatility so you can rest guys and just DH them through the course of the week/season. 

Yes if you were talking about maybe any average athlete, but were talking about Bryce Harper. Pretty sure he can play first or learn quickly. Also its not like he'd be displacing some defensive stud at first base. Right now Clemens is out there playing it.

The Rhys arm injury was a freak thing at first. There's way less risk of injury at first than there is in right field.

The real win would be if Nick or Scwharber could play first but that doesnt seem possible.