Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. First to 20 Wins!

Captain F

9 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Yes if you were talking about maybe any average athlete, but were talking about Bryce Harper. Pretty sure he can play first or learn quickly. Also its not like he'd be displacing some defensive stud at first base. Right now Clemens is out there playing it.

The Rhys arm injury was a freak thing at first. There's way less risk of injury at first than there is in right field.

The real win would be if Nick or Scwharber could play first but that doesnt seem possible.

I’m not worried about displacing Clemens or even Rhys hoskins fielding. I’m not sure you could be worse as a fielder than those two. That said all it takes is a bad throw and you haven’t played there very long to have something happen. Heck Rhys has played it most of his mlb career and it happened. I’d argue more of a chance to have someone run into you having a collision or step on your foot then right field. Also think more dangerous ball hit off the bat with field than in the outfield. That part i think harper being the athlete he is likely isn’t as big of an issue. Right field chance at collision but playing that position for years i think it’s less likely. More concerned about throwing the ball in right field. 

yeah schwarber and castellanos would be preferable at first. I just don’t see either doing it frequently. Frankly if harper and hoskins were healthy you’d have castellanos and schwarber platooning in outfield and DH. 

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m not worried about displacing Clemens or even Rhys hoskins fielding. I’m not sure you could be worse as a fielder than those two. That said all it takes is a bad throw and you haven’t played there very long to have something happen. Heck Rhys has played it most of his mlb career and it happened. I’d argue more of a chance to have someone run into you having a collision or step on your step then right field. Right field chance at collision but playing that position for years i think it’s less likely. More concerned about throwing the ball in right field. 

yeah schwarber and castellanos would be preferable at first. I just don’t see either doing it frequently. Frankly if harper and hoskins were healthy you’d have castellanos and schwarber platooning in outfield and DH. 

Yes it happened to Rhys, who happens to be one of the worst defensive first basemen I've ever seen in my life. Not sure he would cut it at first on my slow pitch softball team.

Anyway, I think we worry too much about these guys getting injured. The guy has to play somewhere and first base in the MLB is probably one of the least dangerous positions in all of sports.

What I like about this, is that there is no way the Phillies asked Harper to play first. He likely suggested it after the Hoskins injury because he knows how much it would help. He's a legend and you just dont see stuff like that from many high profile athletes today.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Nope.  
This is a bad team.

yes and thomson is not the right manager for this roster because he's the type that needs talent for him to manage and we just dont have it. we need a manager that has experience of taking talent less teams to the playoffs like charlie manuel. he didnt have the best players in the world but he knew to manage teams to the playoffs with lesser talent.

one person that would be great manager for this team is jimmy rollins and hire cole hamels as the pitching coach and either chase utley or ryan howard for hitting coach.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Yes it happened to Rhys, who happens to be one of the worst defensive first basemen I've ever seen in my life. Not sure he would cut it at first on my slow pitch softball team.

Anyway, I think we worry too much about these guys getting injured. The guy has to play somewhere and first base in the MLB is probably one of the least dangerous positions in all of sports.

What I like about this, is that there is no way the Phillies asked Harper to play first. He likely suggested it after the Hoskins injury because he knows how much it would help. He's a legend and you just dont see stuff like that from many high profile athletes today.

Hoskins might be the worst defensive first baseman in baseball but that particular play wasn’t cause of his poor defensive prowess. That was a bad throw by realmuto on a squibber just short of the mound. His instincts at first is to try and get that throw so it doesn’t go into foul territory and the outfield. And runner happened to collide with his arm due to him extending to try and get to the throw.  It was a bang bang play by realmuto to try to get the runner and hoskins instinctually goes to try and catch it and runner hits his arm. That’s my concern. Likely? Probably not but it’s definitely a play harper is gonna face a few times this year playing first. So we will hold are breath every time it happens cause it’s a bang bang type play and hopefully the throw is better. 

I’ll just disagree right field is more likely for an injury to occur. It’s probably close to the same but for different reasons. I think more potential for a collision at first when you haven’t played that position but for a couple weeks/month and there’s nuances he hasn’t master like OF to prevent collisions or fielding a hard hit rocket at first. I’m more concerned about his elbow throwing the ball in RF than at first. Or a sprain ankle/hammy issue. Add on we’ve already 2 injuries to first basemen this year so position seems to be cursed so far.

I’d still have him play first cause it makes sense with Nick and schwarber not being able too then outfield. Plus i don’t want to risk his elbow throwing the ball that much until 2024. 

1 hour ago, toughfighter83 said:

yes and thomson is not the right manager for this roster because he's the type that needs talent for him to manage and we just dont have it. we need a manager that has experience of taking talent less teams to the playoffs like charlie manuel. he didnt have the best players in the world but he knew to manage teams to the playoffs with lesser talent.

one person that would be great manager for this team is jimmy rollins and hire cole hamels as the pitching coach and either chase utley or ryan howard for hitting coach.

Wtf are you talking about. 07-2011 had some of the best collection of talent this organization has ever had. Legitimately they had the best second baseman in franchise history, best shortstop in franchise history who won an mvp, arguably the best slugging first baseman in franchise history, one of the best defensive catchers in baseball in Ruiz, cole hamels, HOFer in halladay, cy young award winner in cliff Lee, Roy oswalt. Heck that doesn’t include guys like werth, victorino, Ibanez and Hunter pence and bullpens that for most of that time were pretty damn good. 

im not sure Thomson is the right guy but Manuel was given plenty of talent. It’s why he had so much success from 2007-2011. When guys got hurt and tailed off you saw with less talent they weren’t good anymore and he wasn’t looking so great 

Also your plan with who you’d hire is crazy as none of those guys have any managerial experience nor have any of them said wanted to go into managing or coaching. Rollins is the closest as he managed one all star minor league game. Heck hamels was trying to still pitch in the mlb. 

I've heard the name Raul Ibanez brought up before to be a possible Manager. That would be an interesting hire. Utley, Howard, and Hamels as coaches/ Managers? 😄

4 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

i think you are onto something here. don't let any of these so-called knowledgeable fans tell you differently, sir. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i think you are onto something here. don't let any of these so-called knowledgeable fans tell you differently, sir. 

You are right he is on something 449763B2-74AE-4045-B5AB-36A1BEDAE3AB.thumb.jpeg.95720e7845ebb8d37ccc8f70bed639bf.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

call him up! He'll produce more than half the current line up.

Love that castellanos actually has a plate approach this year and hitting for a great average. Wish he had have some more power 

also wish realmuto wasn’t god awful right now 

Camera work has been terrible so far tonight

Again with the terrible camera work, does not  switch until the ball is in the outfield

Schwarber and realmuto rally killers 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Wtf are you talking about. 07-2011 had some of the best collection of talent this organization has ever had. Legitimately they had the best second baseman in franchise history, best shortstop in franchise history who won an mvp, arguably the best slugging first baseman in franchise history, one of the best defensive catchers in baseball in Ruiz, cole hamels, HOFer in halladay, cy young award winner in cliff Lee, Roy oswalt. Heck that doesn’t include guys like werth, victorino, Ibanez and Hunter pence and bullpens that for most of that time were pretty damn good. 

im not sure Thomson is the right guy but Manuel was given plenty of talent. It’s why he had so much success from 2007-2011. When guys got hurt and tailed off you saw with less talent they weren’t good anymore and he wasn’t looking so great 

Also your plan with who you’d hire is crazy as none of those guys have any managerial experience nor have any of them said wanted to go into managing or coaching. Rollins is the closest as he managed one all star minor league game. Heck hamels was trying to still pitch in the mlb. 

im not saying get rollins, im just throwing names out there but if you want a facelift to the coaching staff/manager, what's your plan?

9 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

im not saying get rollins, im just throwing names out there but if you want a facelift to the coaching staff/manager, what's your plan?

Well I’m not hiring Jimmy Rollins who has no managerial experience whatsoever or in coaching. also they are not firing Thomson 2 weeks into the year. Here’s a better list then what you gave 

https://www.royalsreview.com/platform/amp/2022/10/10/23367591/royals-managerial-candidates

• Like 1

Starting to feel like it’s just not the Phillies year this year. We’ve had a bunch of injuries and we aren’t even 3 weeks into the season with harper, hoskins, Ranger, painter and hall all being injured heading into the season or within the first two weeks. The bullpen has been an absolute disaster so far. We can’t hit with RISP and the starting pitching has been mostly bad as well. Still a bunch of games left so they can turn it around but with all the injuries and the start to the year feels like maybe it’s just one of those years where it just off The whole year 

• Like 1

Meh, lineup is clearly missing Harper/Rhys power, plus not getting hits at the right times. They're actually hitting well, just terrible with RISP. There's enough good things happening for me to be optimistic still. Idk how some of you watch an entire 162 game baseball season without going on blood pressure medication. 

3 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Meh, lineup is clearly missing Harper/Rhys power, plus not getting hits at the right times. They're actually hitting well, just terrible with RISP. There's enough good things happening for me to be optimistic still. Idk how some of you watch an entire 162 game baseball season without going on blood pressure medication. 

There’s still a lot of baseball team have left to play, but there is some bad signs with this team and things working against them.  A ton of injuries so far. Have 2 rotation guys out with arm injuries (1 who might be back or might not). 2 big time bats and one isn’t returning. Let’s be honest hoskins when he hit can make a massive difference on this team. Bullpen needs strahm back cause kimbrel and soto additions so far haven’t been good. Frankly kimbrel wasn’t that good last year why the dodgers left him off the postseason roster. Soto i imagine gets better. Dominguez might just be feeling the repercussions of the usage during the postseason.  Haven’t talked about a World Series hangover either.

i also don’t see marsh, bohm and stott all hitting .387, .327,  and .400 all year either. So they are hitting well besides realmuto and schwarber but i don’t see all 3 of those guys hitting nearly that good all year. So the average likely declines but you hope their RISP increases cause it can’t get much worse   

The two other factors working against the Phillies if they put themselves into too big of a hole this year is you don’t get to face the nationals and the Marlins 19 times each. They change the schedule. only face them 13. So that’s 12 games against 2 bad teams that you beat up all last year to make the playoffs. You’re gonna face better competition. Granted you also don’t face the Mets 19 and atlanta 19 but the Phillies making the playoffs really came down to them beating up on those two teams to a 28-10 record. Really the nationals 16 times out of 19.   

Second factor the national league has more and better teams this year competing for those wildcard spots. The Diamondbacks are young and good. Frankly, they probably could’ve made the playoffs last year if their bullpen wasn’t that awful. they blew a ton of games late. The Cubs are better this year than they were last year. you know the Padres, Mets and Cardinals are eventually going to get going as well. It is going to be a much tougher test if you put yourself into a hole this year to make the playoffs. Last year you really only had Milwaukee that you were competing with to get into the postseason with that last wild card spot and it took Milwaukee imploding to the marlins for the Phillies to limp into the playoffs. 

don’t get me wrong the Phillies have 149 more games and can make the playoffs. But there’s a lot of bad signs with injuries, bullpen additions, schedule, league being better and potential hangover that aren’t good. Add on the schedule gets really tough at the end of April and beginning of may. Have 3 series in a row against seattle, houston and dodgers. If the Phillies continue to play this way and are 7-8 games below .500 going into that 9 game stretch they might come out of that stretch 11-12 games below .500. For as bad as the Phillies were last year after May, they never got themselves to anything more than 8 games below .500. 

3 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I'm already on blood pressure meds. The Phils have the worst record in the entire NL. Missing a couple players shouldn't result in them being this bad. Forgive me for not being more pleased with a 4-9 record.

• Like 1