Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The guy needs time off. He’s been way over used. How that is not clear to topper is hard to comprehend, especially in a high leverage situation. 

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

Harrison is a butcher in the field. Holy hell. 

55 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

Harrison falling all over the place.

I’d DFA Harrison and bring up kingery. We are unfortunately paying kingery anyway. I’d rather see him play and have a shot than Harrison. Harrison stinks as a fielder and isn’t a good hitter. Kingery is actually hot right now in the minors. In June he’s hitting .333 with a .423 OBP

• Like 3

Just now, Blazehound said:

The guy needs time off. He’s been way over used. How that is not clear to topper is hard to comprehend, especially in a high leverage situation. 

Besides topper overusing him. Brogdon falling apart hurt. He was the other guy you could use for multiple innings and reliable. Now it’s covey, Vasquez, Hoffman and marte. Hoffman’s stats look better than what he is. Only Vasquez has been reliable. 

alvarado has also not looked great since coming back. He hasn’t given up a ton of runs but he’s constantly behind hitters and wild 

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d DFA Harrison and bring up kingery. We are unfortunately paying kingery anyway. I’d rather see him play and have a shot than Harrison. Harrison stinks as a fielder and isn’t a good hitter. Kingery is actually hot right now in the minors. In June he’s hitting .333 with a .423 OBP

I actually forgot about Kingery. Yeah, what the hell? Like you said, he's already getting paid and at the minimum, he isn't the defensive liability that Harrison is.

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

HA, he just showed you punk :flex:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

HA, he just showed you punk :flex:

Frankly, I think they need to either go out and get a first baseman that has power or get a corner outfielder so that Schwarber can go to DH and Harper can play first. That’s the move that needs to be made. Because once that happens, Harrison is gone anyway so you don’t have to worry about Harrison or Kingery.

• Like 1

You know the A’s are bad when Marte strikes out the side to end the game

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Goodbye Oakland forever

Sadly that stadium in Vegas isn’t going to be ready for 4 years. If there’s an issue of what the Oakland A’s are going to do. I believe they still have a year left on this lease but after that, then they don’t have a home for another couple years. was talk they could play in the minor-league stadium in Vegas or they can split with the Giants for a couple years. They might be better off relocating to one of the stadiums in Phoenix that is used for spring training until the stadium in Vegas is ready.  

While the last 2 games offensively were gross, we got the sweep we needed. They need to go 3-3 over the next 6 against Braves/ Mets to keep their momentum. 4-2 would be great but not holding my breath. 

7 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

While the last 2 games offensively were gross, we got the sweep we needed. They need to go 3-3 over the next 6 against Braves/ Mets to keep their momentum. 4-2 would be great but not holding my breath. 

I think the Phillies will get up for the Braves series. Have Suarez nola and walker going. Braves have strider, smith-shawver and elder. I think we could win 2 of 3. What worries me is the Mets. We never play well against them regardless of how bad they are but at least we only face scherzer and not both him and verlander. 

Also interesting topic. I actually think pache has the talent and upside to be a starting CF in mlb. I also think he has the talent to be a better player than marsh. Like marsh, pache was a highly rated prospect in 2021. Was the 12th overall prospect by mlb and 69th in 2022. He was the Braves 2nd best prospect before they traded him to Oakland before the start of last season. I’m not saying he does wind up being better than pache. but he has that type of talent to be as good or better. That was a great pickup by Dombrowski  

• Like 1

Nola should be better. Normally I’d say in years past a good amount was run support. It’s not been the case this year 

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Nola should be better. Normally I’d say in years past a good amount was run support. It’s not been the case this year 

I'd be curious to have a stat geek crunch those numbers for other teams.  Winning % of top 4 starters minus winning % of the 5th game committee.  There is going to be a meaningful delta there for every team.  We assume it's bigger for the Phillies than for most, but it would be interesting to see how it stacks up.

So two interesting parts of the article 

Before the Phillies summoned the man who might take at-bats away from Brandon Marsh, the 25-year-old outfielder had made his own assessment. "I’m pissed it took me this long to get my stubbornness out,” Marsh said last week, "to get back to what I was doing.” It hasn’t been right for weeks. In Marsh’s estimation, he’s been "a frame or two late on the heater” and that is something he noticed through extensive video study

Maybe he saw this 91 mph fastball on the inner half from April.

And maybe he’d compare it to a 91 mph cutter he saw over the weekend in Oakland. The results were different, but so was the timing.

"I’m just going to simplify, really,” Marsh said. "I’m just going to simplify and go back to two plus two.”

What’s two plus two?

"Four,” he said.

He laughed.

Marsh finished April near the top of the league in on-base percentage and slugging percentage. Pitchers made adjustments. Regression was natural. But Marsh has yet to apply the proper fix. He’s hitting .198/.286/.248 since May 1. The Phillies added Cristian Pache, who returned from knee surgery, to the active roster over the weekend and he could steal time in center.

It’s an interesting dynamic. Marsh, at the very least, will be part of a platoon.

"I think he’s caught in between right now,” Phillies manager Rob Thomson said. "So he’s taking a lot of good pitches and he’s swinging at some bad pitches. He’s got to get back in the zone and attack the balls that are in the zone.”

Marsh crushed fastballs in April, a welcome adjustment from a season ago when he missed too many of them. So, opponents adjusted. Marsh thought he needed to focus more on the breaking balls because he was seeing them in fastball counts.

Return to earth (on fastballs)
MONTH

BA
SLG

FB %

March/April
May
June

Now, everything has spiraled. Marsh’s last hit on a fastball was June 11, a single against the Dodgers. His last extra-base hit on a fastball came May 31, a double against the Mets.

"I guess it’s just a little mind game,” Marsh said. "I got off the heater because I stopped getting them. And now I’m getting them and I’m missing them. So, I just got to get back on that fastball.”

Marsh’s assessment is not wrong: He saw about 70 percent fastballs when he was ahead in the count during the first two months of the season. But, in June, that rate dipped to 57 percent.

Pache’s defense will always earn him looks. He went 2-for-8 with two doubles and a walk in the weekend series against the A’s. It’s foolhardy to suggest Pache, in 35 plate appearances this season, has made himself into a viable big-league hitter. But he’ll continue to have chances.

So will Marsh.

"It feels like I’ve been guessing a lot up there,” Marsh said. "It’s not that I’m trying to. It’s just kind of what my brain has been telling me. So, have to get off that. Get back on the fastball. That’s the plan.”

Trade chips?

Two 40-man roster members, Símon Muzziottiand Johan Rojas, have had solid seasons in the minors. Both outfielders are blocked in the majors, and that has led rival evaluators to speculate whether the Phillies will attempt to use them next month as trade chips to upgrade the edges of the big-league roster

Rojas, 22, is considered the better prospect — an athletic center fielder who plays an elite center field with significant questions about how he’ll hit. He’s closed some holes in 2023 with better plate discipline but still falls into bad habits whenever he’s home run happy.

Muzziotti, 24, is finally playing for a prolonged stretch. He’s appeared in more games this season than in any since 2019. He’s displayed strong on-base skills with increased power at Triple A. The Phillies have used Muzziotti mostly in left field this season, although he profiled as a plus defender in center before.

How the Phillies treat Rojas and Muzziotti will depend on the long-term view of Marsh and Pache in center. If the club is confident that one or both of them will hold the spot in the majors for the coming years, then it makes sense to dangle the prospects.

56 minutes ago, Steve 17 said:

Link it as it didn't load up correctly

Should work better through glen’s twiiter

And now the wheels come off the wagon I guess 

After an off day why the F is Hoffman the first relief pitcher we use in the 7th. Why not use soto or Alvarado to keep it at 1 

• Like 1