Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Bums. Who even loses at home???

Captain F

Great game

3 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Great game

Dominguez picking up where he left off last year. I laugh at the graphic that had the Phillies bullpen as the best in MLB. Dominguez and Soto were up and down last year. They still only have two reliable BP arms and even Alvarado wasn’t good yesterday 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Dominguez picking up where he left off last year. I laugh at the graphic that had the Phillies bullpen as the best in MLB. Dominguez and Soto were up and down last year. They still only have two reliable BP arms and even Alvarado wasn’t good yesterday 

its crazy how the management would just ignore these issues and now i understand why dave was let go by the red sox

Just now, toughfighter83 said:

its crazy how the management would just ignore these issues and now i understand why dave was let go by the red sox

Unfortunately the Braves have the best Gm in baseball

• Like 1

They are not just going to walk into a playoff spot, and only a fool thinks they can win the division

4 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Unfortunately the Braves have the best Gm in baseball

i think phillies ownership is just clueless, i mean if you cant make in the playoffs in ten years and not hire a competent gm and relying on signing harper to save you, that's incompetence because you see the rays making the playoffs without making big splashes, that shows alot about great roster management.

1 hour ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

They are not just going to walk into a playoff spot, and only a fool thinks they can win the division

I think they’ll make the playoffs because outside of the Dodgers, Braves and Diamondbacks and whoever wins the NL Central it not a very good National League. So they’re gonna wind up getting there. The problem is going to be if you’re the five seed you are likely facing the diamondbacks. They are better this year and just beat you with an inferior team the year before. 

They'll make the playoffs but unlike the past 2 years, there isn't gonna be some magical run. I think they top out at the divisional series, but it's quite possible they get clipped in the wildcard round. Totally unacceptable from DD to basically bring back the same team with the same flaws. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devpool said:

Fing Nola, can't believe they brought that dude back.

It's shocking a guy who collapsed in a big game didn't pan out with a massive contract. GM sucksssss

11 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

They'll make the playoffs but unlike the past 2 years, there isn't gonna be some magical run. I think they top out at the divisional series, but it's quite possible they get clipped in the wildcard round. Totally unacceptable from DD to basically bring back the same team with the same flaws. 

Yea idk how one could confidently run it back with a team that lost to the diamondbacks last year. There's no excuse for that series

2 minutes ago, devpool said:

Yea idk how one could confidently run it back with a team that lost to the diamondbacks last year. There's no excuse for that series

Yep, that series will go down easily as a top 10 all-time Philly choke job. At the bare minimum, Castellanos should have been made the sacrificial lamb for that series by trading him, even if you had to eat half his remaining contract. 

Is anyone seeing better approaches at the plate that we were promised?  only two games but not seeing improvements

2 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Is anyone seeing better approaches at the plate that we were promised?  only two games but not seeing improvements

Nope. It's all talk. I think the smart fans knew it was all lip service. 

Very similar start to last season opener against Texas

1 hour ago, RoadToHell said:

Very similar start to last season opener against Texas

Does that mean the Braves will win the World Series then?

2 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Yep, that series will go down easily as a top 10 all-time Philly choke job. At the bare minimum, Castellanos should have been made the sacrificial lamb for that series by trading him, even if you had to eat half his remaining contract. 

It’s why I kept saying they needed to bring rhys Hoskins back. They missed him last year. And I wasn’t a huge Hoskins guy before , but you can see they need somebody who can grind at bats, take pitches and isn’t an easy out. Hoskins can get real hot and real cold. But at least when he is cold, he still seeing a lot of pitches which helps the rest of your lineup because it’s gonna tire out that pitvher. You don’t get that with castellanos. When he’s hot, he he’s great but when he’s cold, he is Fing awful and useless.

and the BS reasoning we can’t put Bryce Harper in the outfield because we’re preserving him and his career down the road. I don’t know what Bryce Harper is going to be at 36 through 38. Your window to win is now. So I rather him play the outfield for a year and maybe lesser at 38. But the  est chance you had to win now was keeping Hoskins and getting rid of Castellanos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

It’s why I kept saying they needed to bring rhys Hoskins back. They missed him last year. And I wasn’t a huge Hoskins guy before , but you can see they need somebody who can grind at bats, take pitches and isn’t an easy out. Hoskins can get real hot and real cold. But at least when he is cold, he still seeing a lot of pitches which helps the rest of your lineup because it’s gonna tire out that pitvher. You don’t get that with castellanos. When he’s hot, he he’s great but when he’s cold, he is Fing awful and useless.

and the BS reasoning we can’t put Bryce Harper in the outfield because we’re preserving him and his career down the road. I don’t know what Bryce Harper is going to be at 36 through 38. Your window to win is now. So I rather him play the outfield for a year and maybe lesser at 38. But the  est chance you had to win now was keeping Hoskins and getting rid of Castellanos

Yup, I'd definitely take Hoskins over Castellanos. Not looking forward to another year of Castellanos wildly swinging at anything outside the zone. Its just exhausting to watch.

• Like 2

It’s only 2 games and it’s a marathon, not a sprint….but I really thought it was important for a nice start this year.  They need a new narrative to get over the hump this year.

Falling out of the division early and spending the whole season fighting to secure the wild card ain’t it.

They looked awful in spring training so it’s no surprise that they look awful now.  They are not a good team.  

• Like 1

Good start

4 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

They looked awful in spring training so it’s no surprise that they look awful now.  They are not a good team.  

I thought last year probably was more acceptable to have a hangover after losing the World Series and Bryce Harper was out for basically two months. So you were kind of just trying to tread water until he came back and eventually shake the hangover from losing a World Series.

Losing the way they did the diamondbacks and blowing that series, i have seen teams either come back and be fine or they just never recover from a loss like that. I tend to think this group is mentally strong enough to recover from it. But I wouldn’t entirely shock me if the Phillies just don’t recover from something like that. There is the possibility where that blown series and loss they is a hurdle they can’t get over. Frankly, there’s also a possibility that Aaron Nola given a chance to send the Phillies to the WS and floundering is something he never gets over and fans just constantly remind him of it. Fair or not fans are always going to hold that start over him and that’s really hard to overcome in the mindset of fans 

In terms of Rojas, I would’ve started him in the minors this year.  spring training he didn’t look like he had confidence. It looked like he was still in the same mode he was during the postseason. I get it’s just spring training, but you should look at least decent during spring training. If you’re veteran and have played for really long time and you don’t, that’s one thing. But as a young kid, you should look better than that. I don’t think you’re helping his confidence at the plate right now having him face major league pitching when he looks completely lost out there. I think you need to get him down to the minors to work on a couple of things and get his confidence going and then bring him back up. Because right now i think his confidence is just not there and it’s effecting his at bats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Good start

Good ending :groovy:

Starting off better than last year already!