What The F

Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - Decade of Suck

5 minutes ago, What The F said:

They are only in the position to take a year off from work because they are so grossly overpaid.  The ish will really hit the fan if the season starts and players refuse to show up. Will teams start fining them? 

NO, they just won't get paid, I guarantee when the season starts everyone will be there unless injured, all this crap from some players about the health issues and being concerned will go right out the window when a financial agreement is made with the league. It is all posturing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, What The F said:

They arent taking a pay cut. That would be if they played a full schedule and only got paid 50%.  No. They are playing 50% of the games, so in turn getting 50% of their salary. Fair enough. They are getting 100% of the money they will EARN. 

The actual cut is what they are being asked to give up due to no fans/concessions/parking/etc.... Thats a big grey area.  It seems obvious that less money in = less money out. But obviously the players dont see it that way. Should they?  Probably since its kind of common sense, but they dont.

I do not expect to see baseball this year. And tbh, I dont know if we will see it next year either. And if we do, there could be a lot of big name holdouts. 

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that MLB goes 2 straight years shut down. No way. If you're gonna say that they should wait for a vaccine, good luck. Did they have a vaccine for H1N1 or SARS? Plus, according to the CDC, the flu vaccine is only 45% anyway so what do you think a vaccine for Covid-19 will be?

22 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that MLB goes 2 straight years shut down. No way. If you're gonna say that they should wait for a vaccine, good luck. Did they have a vaccine for H1N1 or SARS? Plus, according to the CDC, the flu vaccine is only 45% anyway so what do you think a vaccine for Covid-19 will be?

There are actually people that think the NFl will shut down for 2 years :roll:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

There are actually people that think the NFl will shut down for 2 years :roll:

Sad isnt it? Look, I'm not gonna give my opinion on Covid19 but if anyone thinks that pro sports will be shut down for 2 years, they are delirious and living in fantasy land. The NFL will have games this fall. Whether that means having fans in attendance remains to be seen but these games will be played. By 2021, all of the league's will be back to either normal or somewhat normal.

Phillies still undefeated this season.  :groovy:

20 hours ago, Mlodj said:

Phillies still undefeated this season.  :groovy:

They seem to win every game I’ve seen on NBC Sports Philly.  They just had a perfect game even!

Why do they only show stupid games from the last few years, how about some real classic games

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Why do they only show stupid games from the last few years, how about some real classic games

So true.  I turn it on and it’s some random mid-June game vs the Braves or something like that.  I try to figure out the significance until realizing it’s just a random game.

39 minutes ago, RPeeteRules said:

So true.  I turn it on and it’s some random mid-June game vs the Braves or something like that.  I try to figure out the significance until realizing it’s just a random game.

The description on the TV gives no info on the meaning, only way I know is an alert from the myteams app which says what it is, last night I think was a Galvis walkoff :rolleyes:

Rob ellis is talking about this now and how these so called classic games are ridiculous

I Don't remember where I saw this but a few weeks ago someone from NBCSP said they don't show older games because people want higher quality games, I think he means Picture quality, which is silly!!

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Why don’t they show playoff games or entire playoff series? Do they not have the rights to do so? I would watch that.

11 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Why don’t they show playoff games or entire playoff series? Do they not have the rights to do so? I would watch that.

Probably. They likely belong to the networks that aired them.

12 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Mlb network a couple nights ago had game 2,5,6 of the 1980 WS. That was a joy to watch. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, vsptroops said:

I’m with you. I laugh at people who think a vaccine is going to be the cure all to everything and get it back to normal. Normal vaccines take 10 to 15 years to be approved by the FDA because of testing and research. The fastest They’ve ever had was four years (flu they can do it yearly cause it is the same basic mechanics to making it but using data collected to change the antigen they think will be the common flu that season but keep everything else the same— in not so good of words sorry). Go look at the New York health.gov and CDC it says it all there (https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/immunization/vaccine_safety/science.htm). So people think in 12 to 18 months That’s rushed and they don’t have all the data they normally do or research you’re going to get a vaccine that’s just magically going to be the cure-all and going to just rid us of COVID-19 or get us back to normal? That’s really unlikely happen. Heck If this rapidly mutates that could also be an issue with this where it might not be as effective as they want if that happens more and more.

add on i also love the people who talk like life and sports can’t get back until its completely eradicated. So cancer, ALS, HIV and even the common cold and so many more haven’t been eradicated and working on it for decades. Meanwhile the ones they have been able too it took decades and years to do so. Even with better technology and more knowledge at their hands it’s likely not anytime soon. So you are going to live in hibernation In your house and fear for the rest of your life until they figure it anywhere from now to the next 10+ years?

It’s such a misconception to believe that a vaccine is going to make everything normal. Not comparing it to the flu but a flu vaccine is only effective on 45% of people (granted they change the antigen every year trying to predict) so people think a vaccine created in a short period of time is going to be better than those percentages?

• Like 1

My optimism for the season happening is diminishing, not because of the virus which is what they will try to spin it as but because of greed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

My optimism for the season happening is diminishing, not because of the virus which is what they will try to spin it as but because of greed

I’ve thought that for a while now It was not going to happen due to the money issues on both sides. Owners and players are too stubborn. Feels like a lost season like 1994 when they went on strike late in the year. 

Plus MLB has to get some sort of 2-3 weeks of spring training. If this "negotiations” bleed into the end of June you likely don’t start the season until middle of July and likely 75-80 games. Put that in perspective after 75-80 games last year the nationals don’t make the playoffs and the 2018 phillies are in the playoffs after 80 games and the dodgers who lost to Boston in the World Series werent. 

7 hours ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

It will likely be the death knell of the sport if they cancel the season due to money. Interest in the sport is obviously declining. Add on a work stoppage due to money, forget about it.

Honestly, if NHL and NBA come back in the summer, and NFL returns in the fall, most will not miss baseball even a little bit.

4 hours ago, Blazehound said:

It will likely be the death knell of the sport if they cancel the season due to money. Interest in the sport is obviously declining. Add on a work stoppage due to money, forget about it.

Honestly, if NHL and NBA come back in the summer, and NFL returns in the fall, most will not miss baseball even a little bit.

Yeah I'm sure the MLB will go ahead and dissolve.

I am tired of listening to the radio or getting alerts on my phone saying this person is optimistic or this person is pessimistic, Yesterday owner of Dolphins very optimistic, today head of NFLPA not optimistic

8 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

I am tired of listening to the radio or getting alerts on my phone saying this person is optimistic or this person is pessimistic, Yesterday owner of Dolphins very optimistic, today head of NFLPA not optimistic

Link?

Anything that would come from the head of the NFLPA is posturing.....period.  And of course the owner of the Dolphins would say that.  His stadium is normally empty anyway. 

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Link?

Anything that would come from the head of the NFLPA is posturing.....period.  And of course the owner of the Dolphins would say that.  His stadium is normally empty anyway. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-schedule-nflpa-director-doesnt-sound-as-optimistic-as-the-nfl-that-regular-season-will-be-played/

29 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Meh.  He said a 6 or a 7 out of 10.  If the NFLPA Chief said a 10 and if anything needs to be bargained, he would not be in a position of strength.  So he went with a conservative position.   Non- story.  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 12:05 AM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Mlb network a couple nights ago had game 2,5,6 of the 1980 WS. That was a joy to watch. 

I remember watching Game 6 at home.  Series clinching out was at 11:10PM EST.  My dad had a boat for going fishing on the Delaware Bay so he had one of those air horns.  Those suckers are LOUD.  He let me go outside and blast (which I did, multiple times) it as a way to celebrate us winning the WS.  I remember at least a few of our neighbours coming out of their houses to see what the hell was going on.  Then a couple of my friends came running up the street banging pots and pans and yelling.  This was on a school night, but we won the WS so all bets were off if you had parents that understood what this meant.  

And, our neighbours 2 doors down was the Phillies' trainer.  Nice family, rather Southern as I recall.  All the neighbour kids on the block got signed baseballs with names like Schmidt, Carlton, Bowa, McBride, McGraw, Luzinski, Boone, etc.  I remember one time, we were playing the Cubs in Chicago and the pitcher Larry Christensen hit a GS HR and my mom went into the fridge and grabbed a bottle of champagne and went over to their house to share the champagne with the Mrs.  I forget the context of the moment, why the celebration, but just one of the childhood memories I have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, Green_Guinness said:

This was on a school night, but we won the WS so all bets were off if you had parents that understood what this meant.  

I was 8 years old in '92 and obviously 9 in '93 (sorry :ph34r:). My parents established rules for playoff games on school nights that were actually pretty awesome for a kid that age. The ALCS it was bed time at 10PM which was usually around the 6th/7th inning. Any Blue Jays clinching game I was allowed to watch the whole thing. For the World Series, I was allowed to stay up for every single game. The other eleven months of the year my parents were absolute hard asses about going to bed on time. Go figure.