Coaching

GroundAttack

If/when we blow the 2.5 game lead to hand the division to Dallas, the blame will fall squarely on the shoulders of the coaches, and it all starts with that completely idiotic game plan they had in Chicago to run Hurts so much even when he was taking a pounding.  For all the good they seemed to be doing early on in the season, this will completely negate all of it.  F***ing morons.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

It’s a common trend with this coaching staff. They can’t win big games and are constantly out coached. They never make adjustments. I thought maybe they made some when they came out the gate with the fg. But no. It was fools gold. They went right back to being pass heavy even though the run game was working.

All season long those stubborn non-adjustments by Gannon/Steichen/Siri were gonna bite us in the rear. They didn’t get bit for the most part as they were able to escape some close ones, but the stakes are high and they’re getting bit.
Steichen’s stunning ignorance and Siri’s neglect this week killed them. Gannon’s failure to adjust early killed them. This has been an issue all season, but miraculously their ignorance hasn’t cost them completely…….yet. 

• Like 1

Ignorance and arrogance. Not sure which is worse. But I feel like the HC, the OC, and the DC are guilty of both at times.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, weko said:

We have to play man to man to start out the game with 2 safeties deep. This soft zone week after week is killing us

You get it, I get it, everyone seems to get it except the **** bag calling the plays. 😡 

40 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Ignorance and arrogance. Not sure which is worse. But I feel like the HC, the OC, and the DC are guilty of both at times.

Another thing I will point out, for all this is it Hurts or is it the system discussion, it is quite clear Sirianni and Steichen believe it is their system.

Why else would Minshew pass 72 times to 39 RB carries in his two starts.

Saints #3 pass defense, Cowboys #9 pass defense.

Saints #5 in sacks, Cowboys #3 in sacks.

Saints #22 run defense, Cowboys #21 run defense.

1 hour ago, Southparkeagles said:

All season long those stubborn non-adjustments by Gannon/Steichen/Siri were gonna bite us in the rear. They didn’t get bit for the most part as they were able to escape some close ones, but the stakes are high and they’re getting bit.
Steichen’s stunning ignorance and Siri’s neglect this week killed them. Gannon’s failure to adjust early killed them. This has been an issue all season, but miraculously their ignorance hasn’t cost them completely…….yet. 

Yet is the key word. Might it be this week? Hope not but we’ll see.

59 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Another thing I will point out, for all this is it Hurts or is it the system discussion, it is quite clear Sirianni and Steichen believe it is their system.

Why else would Minshew pass 72 times to 39 RB carries in his two starts.

Saints #3 pass defense, Cowboys #9 pass defense.

Saints #5 in sacks, Cowboys #3 in sacks.

Saints #22 run defense, Cowboys #21 run defense.

Piss poor game planning by the coaches. Real shocker I know. This week Hurts will come back, he’ll throw it 40 times and run it another 15. The backs will get 5 rushes total. Seems about right for with the way things are heading.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

If/when we blow the 2.5 game lead to hand the division to Dallas, the blame will fall squarely on the shoulders of the coaches, and it all starts with that completely idiotic game plan they had in Chicago to run Hurts so much even when he was taking a pounding.  For all the good they seemed to be doing early on in the season, this will completely negate all of it.  F***ing morons.  

Sad but true. Wonder what their excuse will be when it happens? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

The Defense played okay but it was also Any Dalton and the NO Saints. 
The offense i have no idea what the play caller was thinking, why so many pass attempts in the first half when Minshew was getting sacked on almost every play.
Where was the run plays or screen passes to help push back on the Saints pass rush?

Defense adjusted after the half but it shouldn't have taken so long to make adjustments

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Defense adjusted after the half but it shouldn't have taken so long to make adjustments

I find this to be the way with Gannon though. His defense struggles for the first couple of series before adjusting and then starting to have some success. I guess some credit that they adjust but it strikes me that Gannon can't pull together a game plan to work from the start. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I find this to be the way with Gannon though. His defense struggles for the first couple of series before adjusting and then starting to have some success. I guess some credit that they adjust but it strikes me that Gannon can't pull together a game plan to work from the start. 

They need to stop deferring kickoffs and getting worked on opponents opening drives. That crap is getting old...

Just another example of how disconnected the coaching staff is from the needs of the team. 

Glad I saw this topic here, was about to start a thread on the coaching as well.  I agree with a lot of what is being said in here in regards to the coaching of both the O and D.

Siri/Steichen shoulder all of the blame for all of the recent issues, which dates back to the Chicago game.  Their game plan and play calling is what led to Hurts getting injured.  If I'm sitting on my couch playing armchair head coach and I'm yelling about why Hurts is running so damn much (because I didn't like the hits he was taking and couldn't understand why the RBs weren't getting the touches), how can I be proven right while a professional coach is too blind to see it?

Same thing happened multiple times against the Saints...I'm literally sitting there being disgusted with the perpetual bad play calling.  The biggest one was the QB sneak attempt on 4th and 1...I know that's been their bread and butter, but that is with Hurts, not Minshew.  I knew there was a low probability of that play succeeding at that particular time...again, why could I "sense" that but a pro coach doesn't?  This isn't about me tooting any horn here, just literally wondering how it's possible that at times, I seem to have a better feel for the game than the F'ing coach does?!

In a game without Johnson and Hurts, against a pretty good defense, we come out playing as if nothing had changed.  To boot, we attack their strength (vs. the pass) instead of attack their weakness (vs the run).  Are the coaches arrogant or stupid?

Gannon is perpetually frustrating because his game plan is always "play soft, see what the offense is doing, then eventually adjust after we watch QB John Nobody move their team down the field at will for a few series or an entire half".  He can adjust to shut down mediocre/bad QBs, but I still haven't seem him shut down any good QB for any stretch of time.  

This team is going to have to win in shootouts come the postseason because if we can't score, Gannon's D ain't stopping anyone...not even the great Brock Purdy.

• Like 1

Listened to Siri's call-in with Angelo this AM and I've got to say, this isn't going to end well, dude is in completely in over his head and out-of-touch with what's actually going on. 

I'll make a couple of quick points: 

1. 4th & 1 - Siri said in hindsight he would still have called the QB sneak with Minshew after the fact 

2. Defense and opposing TOP: He totally dismissed teams going power formation and holding the ball for 9 minute drives. He went on some type of nonsensical rant about the 3 & outs and how they contributed to TOP. I've watched every Eagles offensive series this season and the Saints game is the first game with multiple back-back 3 and outs...

3. Lack of running game: complete non-answer, briefly mentioned the brace on Miles knee, but didn't given an explanation on why Scott or Gainwell weren't supplemented in his place. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 7:41 PM, Diehardfan said:

They should have mixed things up more last year the same as they should have today. Again, the Saints pass defense is top 10 and their run d is bottom 10. They have a backup RT facing a good front four and instead of letting him get into a groove they have him pass blocking the first few drives. That's just stupid.

Yeah, but we already knew this is who they wanted to be. Do you recall how last year they started the season passing like crazy? This year they also tend to start games passing and they finish games by running. The only time they were truly a run first teams was late last season and people killed them for that too. 😂

• Like 1

I hope Steichen and Gannon get head coaching jobs somewhere....anywhere.  Tough to complain about a 13-3 team, but I think the eagles could've been even better this year.  IMO, these 2 guys benefited greatly from so much talent on both sides of the ball.  More experienced or creative coordinators could have maximized utilizing the talent.

Just now, birdman#12 said:

I hope Steichen and Gannon get head coaching jobs somewhere....anywhere.  Tough to complain about a 13-3 team, but I think the eagles could've been even better this year.  IMO, these 2 guys benefited greatly from so much talent on both sides of the ball.  More experienced or creative coordinators could have maximized utilizing the talent.

Gannon sure, Steichen? I think he's done a good job this year. Sure he's made some mistakes but all coordinators do. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Gannon sure, Steichen? I think he's done a good job this year. Sure he's made some mistakes but all coordinators do. 

I think Hurts has covered up a lot of issues.......the playcalling and creativity for the talent the eagles have has been lacking.  And there are too many designed runs for Hurts.  This is a passing league and Hurts would do the most damage thru the air.....and let him improvise to run.  RBs have the highest injury rate of any position in the NFL, so why subject your most important player to possible injury when they clearly have an effective stable of RBs?  

Hurts being hurt on a stupid play call against the bears has already cost them 2 games.  If they miss the the bye, chances are they don't go to the super bowl.

On 1/6/2023 at 10:18 AM, birdman#12 said:

I think Hurts has covered up a lot of issues.......the playcalling and creativity for the talent the eagles have has been lacking.  And there are too many designed runs for Hurts.  This is a passing league and Hurts would do the most damage thru the air.....and let him improvise to run.  RBs have the highest injury rate of any position in the NFL, so why subject your most important player to possible injury when they clearly have an effective stable of RBs?  

Hurts being hurt on a stupid play call against the bears has already cost them 2 games.  If they miss the the bye, chances are they don't go to the super bowl.

Sometime you have to be careful what you wish for though. The guys who might come in behind these guys could be worse. Lose Steichen and gain a Groh. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Sometime you have to be careful what you wish for though. The guys who might come in behind these guys could be worse. Lose Steichen and gain a Groh. 

Or lose Schwartz and gain a Gannon 😝

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Or lose Schwartz and gain a Gannon 😝

Exactly though! 😂

Bet you people were begging for that sticks defense after giving up 3rd and 30 to Dallas. 😂

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Bet you people were begging for that sticks defense after giving up 3rd and 30 to Dallas. 😂

People hated Schwartz! Lol. Like you and I have discussed before people's expectations of defense are unrealistic especially for today's game. That being said there is times where Gannon is a total buffoon 

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

People hated Schwartz! Lol. Like you and I have discussed before people's expectations of defense are unrealistic especially for today's game. That being said there is times where Gannon is a total buffoon 

At times so was Andy Reid. Off the top of my head the Winston Justice game comes to mind. How do you not try to establish the run in that game?  Gannon is still young so he’s going to make some mistakes. Heck people swore Doug Pederson was just lucky to win a SB thanks to everyone else but him. Sometimes the fans can be extreme and unrealistic.

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

At times so was Andy Reid. Off the top of my head the Winston Justice game comes to mind. How do you not try to establish the run in that game?  Gannon is still young so he’s going to make some mistakes. Heck people swore Doug Pederson was just lucky to win a SB thanks to everyone else but him. Sometimes the fans can be extreme and unrealistic.

I don't often care about players or coaches after they leave here but, I do with Doug I'm so happy for him that he is proving he wasn't the issue. 

• Like 1