Jeff Lurie sure knows how to choose a Head Coach

Talonblood

I was thinking about how Jeff Lurie always chooses coaches many laugh at at 1st, (including me- every one of them) then 2 years later, his choice proves everyone wrong. Then I saw this article, so I felt a post would be a good thing to do to give kudo's to this guy. Your thoughts?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/most-impressive-thing-eagles-owner-jeff-lurie-has-ever-done

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good read.  We've been spoiled lately with a team that has been a playoff team over 60% of the time since Lurie has been at the helm.  Before him, there were ugly stretches of mediocrity and even bottom of the barrel embarrassment.  Of course some complaints we've had on the board over the years have been valid, but this puts it in perspective that almost a third of the teams in the league are perennial jokes and losers most of the time. 

• Like 3

Siriani had already proved everyone wrong:

He somehow got an Eagles team that was 2-5 after seven games last year into the playoffs when they had no business being there (never mind they got killed by the Bucs, the fact the Eagles even were playing that game AT ALL was huge). 

Lurie has an amazing eye for coaching. 

• Like 1

Easily the greatest tenure of Eagles history especially in the SB era is under Lurie. He hasn’t just picked good coaches, he’s also picked very good personnel people also.I wouldn’t go as to say they’re the gold standard as they once proclaimed, but they have been a well run organization since he’s got here. 

• Like 3

For sure, Lurie & co. are good at selecting head coaches.  But it goes deeper than that, and it does start from the top down.  Eagles are set up as a winning organization.  There are so many different facets to the organization than just coaching.  The Eagles organization sets its coaches up to win.

He's hit more than he's missed, but I'll never forgive him for the Chip Kelly experiment.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, MF POON said:

He's hit more than he's missed, but I'll never forgive him for the Chip Kelly experiment.

But that somehow led Eagles to winning Super Bowl. He showed coaches how to properly use Foles for Super Bowl run. Chip taking Howie's job may have made Howie better at his job.

• Like 3

If we were to win the Super Bowl next month, should we fire Nick? Our recent pattern would be that we win the Super Bowl in year 2 of a new head coach.

So win the Super Bowl, fire Nick and then win the Super Bowl again in 2 years with his replacement. Right? :huh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

If we were to win the Super Bowl next month, should we fire Nick? Our recent pattern would be that we win the Super Bowl in year 2 of a new head coach.

So win the Super Bowl, fire Nick and then win the Super Bowl again in 2 years with his replacement. Right? :huh: 

Biggest difference between 2017 and 2022 is we have so much young talent this year. The previous team was already over the hill by the time we won that SB.

Hurts-Brown-Goedert-Smith

Jurgens-Mailata-Dickerson

Sweat-Davis-Williams-Reddick

Dean-White-Epps-CJGJ

This could be our exact same team 5 years from now and none would be beyond their prime yet

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

But that somehow led Eagles to winning Super Bowl. He showed coaches how to properly use Foles for Super Bowl run. Chip taking Howie's job may have made Howie better at his job.

and it lead to some favorite players being discarded.  I still won't forgive him for it, but sure, a SB win is nice

• Like 2

To be fair to Chip Kelly, he did go 20-12 his first two seasons and won the division his first season. 

He was nuts, yes.  He got canned because he wanted personnel control and Lurie balked.  But he wasn't a complete disaster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procus said:

For sure, Lurie & co. are good at selecting head coaches.  But it goes deeper than that, and it does start from the top down.  Eagles are set up as a winning organization.  There are so many different facets to the organization than just coaching.  The Eagles organization sets its coaches up to win.

Lurie IS THE TOP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MF POON said:

Two ten win seasons out of 3 total?  Plus, the Eagles don't win the SB sans Kelly.  He was a good hire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MF POON said:

It did turn out terrible, but from what I recall Howie was the one pushing for the Chippah which is quite ironic how that all turned out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

To be fair to Chip Kelly, he did go 20-12 his first two seasons and won the division his first season. 

He was nuts, yes.  He got canned because he wanted personnel control and Lurie balked.  But he wasn't a complete disaster.

I am of the opinion that yes, he was a disaster. He traded away Shady and Djax and just was an all around jerk.....the only good thing I see out of that experiment is that the players were healthier and more disciplined....

4 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

Chip is a good coach.  He's just better off in college.

5 hours ago, hukdonfoniks said:

As a coach no, he wasn't a disaster.  It was the power play for full personnel control he pulled that got him fired and rightfully so.  But without him, it doesn't cause the chain reaction that leads us to winning the superbowl. 

41 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I am of the opinion that yes, he was a disaster. He traded away Shady and Djax and just was an all around jerk.....the only good thing I see out of that experiment is that the players were healthier and more disciplined....

Heh, I agree but you're even giving him too much credit.  Hell, I WISH he had actually traded Jackson away for SOMETHING.  He cut him in his PRIME for NOTHING.  At 27 years old, after an All-Pro season, the best of his career.  That one stupefying move alone was worthy of firing him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Heh, I agree but you're even giving him too much credit.  Hell, I WISH he had actually traded Jackson away for SOMETHING.  He cut him in his PRIME for NOTHING.  At 27 years old, after an All-Pro season, the best of his career.  That one stupefying move alone was worthy of firing him. 

Totally agreed....I was so damn glad when they fired him....like you said, cutting DJax in his prime for nothing at all......smh

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Totally agreed....I was so damn glad when they fired him....like you said, cutting DJax in his prime for nothing at all......smh

I remember when that move happened and all of the people who loved Chip Kelly tried to claim that was a great move and how no one would have traded for a receiver in his prime coming off his career season. Every move Chip made to take any real talent away and mold it into making himself and his lame offense the start was pathetic. He destroyed the Eagles, but again two years after he was gone they won a Super Bowl. Once again Howie delivered in a short turnaround. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Yup, Lurie deserves credit for getting a lot more hires right than wrong, but he also objectively deserves to be criticized for firing terrific coaches when they should not have been fired.

Also, I do think Nick S is a good coach, but I would probably give Roseman as much, or even more credit for the success of this team.

15 hours ago, Procus said:

Two ten win seasons out of 3 total?  Plus, the Eagles don't win the SB sans Kelly.  He was a good hire.

If you do that with Kelly, then how far do you go back with all of the decisions that played into that SB win? When he hires Andy Reid? or when he finally decides to can Reid? I don't think Chip being here played any factor into to the SB at all - I just give credit to that team and the decisions made throughout that season. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It did turn out terrible, but from what I recall Howie was the one pushing for the Chippah which is quite ironic how that all turned out. 

Then I'll never forgive him either lol

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Then I'll never forgive him either lol

I think Howie learned that lesson. Lol.