Jeff Lurie sure knows how to choose a Head Coach

Talonblood

22 hours ago, MF POON said:

He's hit more than he's missed, but I'll never forgive him for the Chip Kelly experiment.

Look, he swung for the fences on that one.  

You have to love an owner who's willing to try to get ahead of everyone in the league.  Moreover, you really have to love the fact that he knew he was wrong in just two seasons and was willing to swallow his ego, admit he made a bad decision and pivot.

I saw what he was doing at the time, and I was hoping he was right, but at that time he had earned the right to take that big swing.  For one half of one football game I think we were all over the moon...

...and then reality set in.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Chip is a good coach.  He's just better off in college.

Don't watch a lot of PAC12 football I see...he lost a bowl game to a very average Pitt team.

5 hours ago, Parrot Head said:

Yup, Lurie deserves credit for getting a lot more hires right than wrong, but he also objectively deserves to be criticized for firing terrific coaches when they should not have been fired.

Also, I do think Nick S is a good coach, but I would probably give Roseman as much, or even more credit for the success of this team.

How about knowing when to fire not so terrific coaches?

I think Reid's time here was over.  It just wasn't going to happen here.  I love the guy, and he did build the Eagles into a perennial playoff franchise, but at the end of the day, he was the Marty Schottenheimer for us.  Was always gonna get there, but was never going to seal the deal.  Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll never know.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Vee said:

How about knowing when to fire not so terrific coaches?

I think Reid's time here was over.  It just wasn't going to happen here.  I love the guy, and he did build the Eagles into a perennial playoff franchise, but at the end of the day, he was the Marty Schottenheimer for us.  Was always gonna get there, but was never going to seal the deal.  Maybe I'm wrong, but we'll never know.

Reid needed to get fired to get better.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Now do that list while removing all seasons with HoF and HoF hopeful QBs

1 hour ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Reid needed to get fired to get better.

I don't really see Reid as better, he just has a future HOF QB making him look good lol. His poor coaching cost the Chiefs a SB appearance last season.

1 minute ago, MF POON said:

I don't really see Reid as better, he just has a future HOF QB making him look good lol. His poor coaching cost the Chiefs a SB appearance last season.

His "poor coaching" got the Chiefs to consecutive SB's and made them perennial division champs much in the same way he did in Philly.  You're a troll.

4 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I had planned to go and look some of those stats up, but just hadn't had time lol. 

8 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I had planned to go and look some of those stats up, but just hadn't had time lol. 

Look up stats ??  If only you knew a guy...........................................

54 minutes ago, Procus said:

His "poor coaching" got the Chiefs to consecutive SB's and made them perennial division champs much in the same way he did in Philly.  You're a troll.

Again, I give more credit to Mahomes for getting them there than Reid. He's not a bad coach, but he hasn't improved imo. They got destroyed vs Tampa and Mahomes had a terrible game. They lost to the Bengals in the AFCCG and guess what, it was because Mahomes made awful mistakes and Reid's poor coaching. They were lucky to even win the SB they did win, because Mahomes didn't play all that great, threw it too many times, and were fortunate the 9ers blew it.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Look up stats ??  If only you knew a guy...........................................

How did you not have a spreadsheet out and ready to go already??

;)

4 hours ago, Vee said:

Don't watch a lot of PAC12 football I see...he lost a bowl game to a very average Pitt team.

So that makes him a bad college coach?  A bowl game loss where I'm sure nobody really gave a $ h i t about and several players sit out?  

UCLA has been trending upwards.  Not saying they are going to be competing with Georgia or anything like that but he's made them relevant and a contender in the Pac 12.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

So that makes him a bad college coach?  A bowl game loss where I'm sure nobody really gave a $ h i t about and several players sit out?  

UCLA has been trending upwards.  Not saying they are going to be competing with Georgia or anything like that but he's made them relevant and a contender in the Pac 12.  

He's been there for 5 seasons.  His records are as follows: 3-9, 4-5, 3-9, 8-4, 9-4

That's a nice mediocre career so far...  Those are weak numbers for a weak division. 

They've always been relevant.  People play up for them.  They seem to be able to recruit talent.

Yeah.  I think that makes him an average coach.  You can hire those numbers from almost anywhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vee said:

He's been there for 5 seasons.  His records are as follows: 3-9, 4-5, 3-9, 8-4, 9-4

That's a nice mediocre career so far...  Those are weak numbers for a weak division. 

They've always been relevant.  People play up for them.  They seem to be able to recruit talent.

Yeah.  I think that makes him an average coach.  You can hire those numbers from almost anywhere.

That's fair.  Still think he's a good coach and they are trending in the right direction.

If he wins 9, 10 games every year from here on out would you still consider him mediocre? 

11 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

That's fair.  Still think he's a good coach and they are trending in the right direction.

If he wins 9, 10 games every year from here on out would you still consider him mediocre? 

In the PAC12?  With UCLA's ability to get talent?  Yes.  Yes, I would.

There's no reason that program shouldn't be a Top 10 program every year, but in order for me to consider him a great coach, he needs to be in the college playoff picture at least once every four years.  I'm not even saying he has to make it to the college playoffs, but UCLA should be a legitimate contender.

UCLA has a rich history and has the ability to bring legitimate prospects in all on it's own.  Kelly is being paid to help bring better talent in.  If he can't do that, they need to find someone who can, or pay someone a lot less.  He did wonders at Oregon.  

Who is QB Ian Book a guy that threw two interceptions whom was drafted in the fourth round by NO and they didn't want him. Can anyone tell me why Carson Strong was let go despite the upfront money only to bring in Book? I mean after seeing Gardner Minshew play so poorly you have to wonder why they went with Book a guy similar to Carson Strong but not as good with very little promise to improve as much as Carson had shown.
I mean you can only make a QB's arm so strong, and Carson had the arm strength everything else could've been taught.

2 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

Who is QB Ian Book a guy that threw two interceptions whom was drafted in the fourth round by NO and they didn't want him. Can anyone tell me why Carson Strong was let go despite the upfront money only to bring in Book? I mean after seeing Gardner Minshew play so poorly you have to wonder why they went with Book a guy similar to Carson Strong but not as good with very little promise to improve as much as Carson had shown.
I mean you can only make a QB's arm so strong, and Carson had the arm strength everything else could've been taught.

Carson Strong was so good that Nick Sirianni did not have the brain power to figure out how to deal with a QB that was that good.

He had bad knees, and apparently didn't want to play is the rumour (fear of reinjury), but Arizona Cardinals signed him. I hope that both Minshew and Book aren't on the team next season and that they sign a decent backup with potential of being the future QB in a later round pick 5-7th. I know slim chance of that turning into a franchise QB but sometimes a Tom Brady is out there either way better to get a guy they researched in a later round than wait for UFA.

53 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

He had bad knees, and apparently didn't want to play is the rumour (fear of reinjury), but Arizona Cardinals signed him.

His knee issue was known coming out of college, but I have not seen anything stating he didn't want to play.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:13 PM, JournalistMic said:

Just shows how bad Strong really was when he got here. He was picked up to another practice squad and they dumped him too. Would have been nice to see what Book was capable of before the season ended but the chance was lost. I don’t see any chance the Eagles come into the 2023 season with him as their backup though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JournalistMic said:

Philadelphia Eagles[edit]

On April 30, 2022, Strong signed an undrafted free-agent deal with the Philadelphia Eagles.[16] It included a $20,000 signing bonus and $300,000 base guarantee.[17] He was released on August 30.[18]

Arizona Cardinals[edit]

On December 13, 2022, Strong was signed to the Arizona Cardinals practice squad.[19] He was released one week later.[20]

So what you're saying is that the Eagles messed up by cutting Strong.  The entire league hangs back and has no interest in signing him, until about a month ago, when Kyler Murray goes down...but then even the Cardinals dump him after a week.

Is it plausible that you know less about the situation than every single other team in the NFL and the Canadian Football League, and probably this upcoming Spring League?  

Strong isn't the player you think he is.  Just let it go.  It didn't work out, and it wasn't for lack of trying.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:12 PM, Procus said:

Reid is a good coach overall for sure.  Although I haven't watched enough Chiefs games to know if he "learned" from any of his mistakes in Philly. 

Shouldn't have fired Pederson. Guy can coach. Look what he did with the worst team in the league last year. Playoffs.