Paris Johnson Jr. (Ohio State OT) -- DRAFTED BY ARIZONA #6

philafan4o8

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Skoronski has short arms and projects more as a guard. But if they see him as a better prospect then that's great for the Eagles

True…let’s hope so…

I truly believe Johnson is on their short list…

On 3/10/2023 at 10:41 PM, philafan4o8 said:

Eagles need to jump bears if they want Johnson now 

On 3/17/2023 at 6:27 AM, Ray75 said:

Unless Bears like Skoronski more…

Whilst I get annoyed about the Eagles not investing high picks in young talent on the D (Davis last year apart), Johnson would make a ton of sense. 

He can immediately play right guard (he probably beats out Jurgens who can take over from Kelce next year) and gives us much needed depth at both tackle positions after the loss of Dillard. He can take over from Lane when he retires either next year or 2025. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t jump the Bears to take him. Suspect he is top of their list as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Whilst I get annoyed about the Eagles not investing high picks in young talent on the D (Davis last year apart), Johnson would make a ton of sense. 

He can immediately play right guard (he probably beats out Jurgens who can take over from Kelce next year) and gives us much needed depth at both tackle positions after the loss of Dillard. He can take over from Lane when he retires either next year or 2025. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t jump the Bears to take him. Suspect he is top of their list as well.

As I've said in another thread, the last 3 hugely expensive years of Lane's contract only void if he's on the roster in Feb' 2026, and he's likely going to be asked to restructure again to free some cap space and move more money back there.

I don't see us drafting a swing tackle at 10.

2 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

As I've said in another thread, the last 3 hugely expensive years of Lane's contract only void if he's on the roster in Feb' 2026, and he's likely going to be asked to restructure again to free some cap space and move more money back there.

I don't see us drafting a swing tackle at 10.

But Johnson has already said he wants to retire after 2024. Suspect the Eagles will rework his contract.

16 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

But Johnson has already said he wants to retire after 2024. Suspect the Eagles will rework his contract.

Johnson hinted he may play a couple more seasons in an interview a year ago, he hasn't outright said I'm going to hang them up in 24, Kelce has been retiring for 3 seasons now and he's here next year. 

Lane's contract is such that retiring next year would be a disaster for the Eagles because he's been Howie's go to restructure for the last 4 years and his salary this year and next are the biggest on the roster.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Johnson hinted he may play a couple more seasons in an interview a year ago, he hasn't outright said I'm going to hang them up in 24, Kelce has been retiring for 3 seasons now and he's here next year. 

Lane's contract is such that retiring next year would be a disaster for the Eagles because he's been Howie's go to restructure for the last 4 years and his salary this year and next are the biggest on the roster.

Absent another restructure, if Lane decided to retire after the 2023 season, it would yield $6.4M in cap savings (while also incurring a $15.6M dead money hit to the 2024 cap - those figures without using a post June 1 designation).  

Pushing off retirement until after the 2024 season, those numbers shift to: $15.6M cap savings, $7.3M dead money.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Absent another restructure, if Lane decided to retire after the 2023 season, it would yield $6.4M in cap savings (while also incurring a $15.6M dead money hit to the 2024 cap - those figures without using a post June 1 designation).  

Pushing off retirement until after the 2024 season, those numbers shift to: $15.6M cap savings, $7.3M dead money.  

As it stands the last 2 void years in his contract don't carry a dead cap hit, I wonder just why that is, why do those 2 void years exist if they're not being used to pro rate bonus?  And my guess is it's to do with the proviso that '26-'28 don't void unless he's on the roster at the end of the 2025 post season.

Also his salary this year is $14million, there's no way Howie is paying that with our cap situation, Lane has been restructured, extended or both every year since 2018, he's got the only fat we can trim cap wise, so that will move money back beyond 2024.

11 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I think it would be safe to say, if the Eagles draft Paris Johnson, Lane Johnson will likely retire during Paris Johnson's rookie contract (5 years). I don't think the Eagles plan to draft in the top 10 again with Jalen Hurts at QB so getting the best OL that has all the physical gifts to play guard and tackle at 10 that will start at guard is ok in my mind. Get that NFL experience, learn from Lane, and take over when he retires. I think it would be a home run for Hurts to have young talent on OL to grow with

• Like 1

22 hours ago, time2rock said:

12 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think it would be safe to say, if the Eagles draft Paris Johnson, Lane Johnson will likely retire during Paris Johnson's rookie contract (5 years). I don't think the Eagles plan to draft in the top 10 again with Jalen Hurts at QB so getting the best OL that has all the physical gifts to play guard and tackle at 10 that will start at guard is ok in my mind. Get that NFL experience, learn from Lane, and take over when he retires. I think it would be a home run for Hurts to have young talent on OL to grow with

Right. Johnson has said expressly that he is currently planning to retire after 2 more years. Now obviously that’s not guaranteed but he has been through a lot physically and mentally and I suspect he will do as he says.

Drafting Johnson makes sense, he can compete and probably win the competition at guard, provide immediate depth at tackle, learn from Johnson and probably start in 2025.

• Like 2

I think Paris is one of the more likely choices. At the same time you'd ideally want a tackle that maybe is more raw with upside that Stoutland likes in a lower slot

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

I think Paris is one of the more likely choices. At the same time you'd ideally want a tackle that maybe is more raw with upside that Stoutland likes in a lower slot

I don't think Paris is the best Tackle in the draft, I'd rather Darnell Wright and we could probably trade back and still land him, hell I think O'Cyrus Torrence is the best lineman in the draft he made Jalen Carter look ordinary if Stoutland could improve his footwork and shave a couple of pounds off him he'd be an all pro guard.

• Like 1

I’d be OK with taking Johnson or another OT so long as they are more in the mold of Lane Johnson and not Luke Joeckel.  I don’t want to spend a high pick on an OT just because we’ll have a need there in the near future.  If it is a special talent then sure pull the trigger.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I’d be OK with taking Johnson or another OT so long as they are more in the mold of Lane Johnson and not Luke Joeckel.  I don’t want to spend a high pick on an OT just because we’ll have a need there in the near future.  If it is a special talent then sure pull the trigger.  

Agreed! That's why I think Johnson is the perfect pick at 10. The talent is there and the measurables are great! His area of improvement is his technique. Once that is fixed at Stoutland U we have another OLine that can play for a decade plus at a high level. And a damn mauler at RG until Lane retires

Below are their combine measurables. I am not saying Paris Johnson is going to be Lane Johnson or better. I am just sawing the measurables when they came out of college. Paris Johnson has longer arms, is a tad heavier, and has smaller hands.

43491955_ScreenshotbyDropboxCapture.png.e1d9bb760e697963d8469f4f4cea7783.png1624639604_ScreenshotbyDropboxCapture.png.eeac670a47f366ef00c233f8cc8f1c34.png

• Like 1

Lane just extended his contract through 2026, we aren't going OT at 10.

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I personally don’t think that means much. The eagles have an out and he will still be on the books until 2026 but doesn’t mean he will actually play. Plus even if that is the case Paris Johnson’s rookie contract will be up to 2028 if I am correct (4 years plus 1 year option). He will also be 26 years of age at that time 

15 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I personally don’t think that means much. The eagles have an out and he will still be on the books until 2026 but doesn’t mean he will actually play. Plus even if that is the case Paris Johnson’s rookie contract will be up to 2028 if I am correct (4 years plus 1 year option). He will also be 26 years of age at that time 

Paris Johnson would have to be a generational tackle to make using 10 on him but not play him as you suggest make sense, and if he was a generational talent at Offensive tackle he wouldn't be there at 10.

He's not even clearly the best tackle in the draft.

• Like 1

While I want Bijan, I would be pumped if Paris Johnson fell to 10! Eagles value long arms with OG and OT. Just look at our starts last year. Paris Johnson is likely prospect #1 for the Eagles if Will Anderson or Jalen Carter are not on the board.

On 3/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Paris would start at RG ... a position he played all of 2021 at for Georgia. Jurgens would play RG by default if we don't have a better option (zero experience at Guard in college) ... Paris would be a better option. Also, what if either Lane or Mailata were to get hurt? We don't have a legit backup at either position ... are we comfortable trusting Hurts' health to what we have as backups now? Jack Driscoll was below average when he got the call at RT (better at backup Guard) ... who's our LT backup? Brett Toth? lol Paris would fill that role as well.

• Like 3

This is SUCH a Howie pick… be prepared.

personally I would love it. But I would love it more if they traded down from 10 and got him two spots later if Bears go another direction (I don’t know who would jump to get him after Chicago so I think it would be safe. Or if a team wanted him that bad, Steelers maybe, Howie could swing an even better deal…)

Meh, rather have Broderick Jones - younger, more athletic, a better piece of clay for Stout to mold.

4 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Meh, rather have Broderick Jones - younger, more athletic, a better piece of clay for Stout to mold.

He is younger by two months. Not sure he is more athletic either because Johnson did not test at the combine. Does not necessarily mean he is lacking in those areas. Looked very athletic in the drill but so did Jones. Also, Johnson has more starting experience, longer arms, and has experience at different parts of the Oline  

I like Jones a lot but I personally dont like him over Johnson. If Stout likes Jones more than Johnson and they draft him at 10, I will not question Stout lol

On 3/30/2023 at 9:10 PM, Rey said:

Paris would start at RG ... a position he played all of 2021 at for Georgia. Jurgens would play RG by default if we don't have a better option (zero experience at Guard in college) ... Paris would be a better option. Also, what if either Lane or Mailata were to get hurt? We don't have a legit backup at either position ... are we comfortable trusting Hurts' health to what we have as backups now? Jack Driscoll was below average when he got the call at RT (better at backup Guard) ... who's our LT backup? Brett Toth? lol Paris would fill that role as well.

On 4/5/2023 at 2:04 AM, philafan4o8 said:

He is younger by two months. Not sure he is more athletic either because Johnson did not test at the combine. Does not necessarily mean he is lacking in those areas. Looked very athletic in the drill but so did Jones. Also, Johnson has more starting experience, longer arms, and has experience at different parts of the Oline  

I like Jones a lot but I personally dont like him over Johnson. If Stout likes Jones more than Johnson and they draft him at 10, I will not question Stout lol

Right, this makes all kind of sense. Despite Johnson's extension, I still think there is a good chance he retires when he says he will, after the 2024 season. He's been through so much through injuries and mental health. 

Jurgens is an unknown at guard. Johnson would likely win that battle and potentially enhance an already elite line. The tackle depth is non-existant at the moment as well. 

This makes sense and fits with the Eagles philosophy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

This makes sense and fits with the Eagles philosophy.

And that’s why if he’s on the board I think he’ll be the pick. He’ll likely be BPA or very close to and plays a position that this team places huge importance on.

• Like 1

This would be such a smart pick solely because it’s a matter of WHEN not if Lane reaggravates his injury (hopefully it only keeps him off the field for a series or two) then you’re facing a possibly crippling 3 game losing streak with a first place schedule.

Fortunately he is also a top flight OT. Do not be surprised when this is the pick.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:07 PM, Kwahu said:

This would be such a smart pick solely because it’s a matter of WHEN not if Lane reaggravates his injury (hopefully it only keeps him off the field for a series or two) then you’re facing a possibly crippling 3 game losing streak with a first place schedule.

Fortunately he is also a top flight OT. Do not be surprised when this is the pick.

They certainly are going to need a good back up THIS year. One that could be the future at RT would be preferable. One than can also play guard in a pinch even better. Look at you guys thinking ahead like GMs :)

• Thanks 1