Paris Johnson Jr. (Ohio State OT) -- DRAFTED BY ARIZONA #6

philafan4o8

This might not be a fan-favorite pick but Paris Johnson would be a damn good selection at 10. He is arguably the best tackle in the draft and has all of the traits to be a great tackle in the NFL. Johnson would be a great pick because this season was his first season at left tackle after moving from right guard. If the eagles do not resign Seumalo then Johnson can come in as an instant starter at right guard. Then they can groom him to potentially be the replacement for Lane Johnson at RT. There is a strong possibility that Johnson is the best player available at 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

I'm upset, I'm upset it was you and not @Jenkins27 that started this thread

He is losing his touch lol. Probably still heartbroken from the CFP

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I like this pick. Lane is 32 and when he's out, it's a significant drop-off. If Hurts is the franchise QB, they need to invest in protecting him.

• Like 1

I am fine with this pick to.  I have no issues with BPA for Oline or Dline with 1 or even both first rounders.  You win at the line of scrimmage and you need high quality depth because injuries happen.

I think the eagles have some more significant needs with all the coming free agents they have.  But with the cap going up significantly, and Howie's creativity with the cap, drafting this kid could be a good move especially with Johnson getting up there in age and them probably losing Dillard and Seumalo.  If they win the super bowl it's possible that Kelce and Johnson could retire.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:45 PM, Jenkins27 said:

I think our future RT is the way to go R1!

At least we wouldn't have to worry about him being a bust like all the qbs that come out of that school

• Sad 1

If we draft OL, I'm okay.

I prefer DL at #10 or earlier. I want Carter or Murphy.

It’s nice having the best OLine in football so I wouldn’t mind the pick. Seumalo is going to get paid. OLineman always get big bucks in free agency. I would think in the range of $10-$11m a year, maybe more, who knows. 

Plug him in at RG and move him to RT when Lane retires. 

• Like 3

I can absolutely see Paris being the pick at 10. It makes all the sense in the world. Immediate starter at RG where we will almost certain to lose Ike Seumalo. He's versatile to play on either side of the OL, so he can backup LT where we are losing Andre Dillard to free agency and he can eventually take over at RT when Lane hangs em up at RT. Plus, if you are going to pay Hurts all that cash it makes all the sense in the world to make sure he stays protected. We can use the later 1st round pick to address CB which is one of the deepest early round positions. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 9:07 AM, birdman#12 said:

I think the eagles have some more significant needs with all the coming free agents they have.  But with the cap going up significantly, and Howie's creativity with the cap, drafting this kid could be a good move especially with Johnson getting up there in age and them probably losing Dillard and Seumalo.  If they win the super bowl it's possible that Kelce and Johnson could retire.

Isaac Seumalo is gone in free agency.  Who do you suggest they replace him with?  It's critical that the team find a stud who they can insert opening day the way they did with Landon Dickerson last year.  Somebody ideally who can play RG and then slide over to RT if LJ is out and permanently when he retires.  If anyone thinks this is not a critical need, go check out how the Eagles played sans LJ.  They stink without him.  The right side of the line is the most critical, pressing, long-term need for this team - and RG first and foremost.  If not Paris Johnson, them somebody who can play RG and RT.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:05 PM, Rey said:

I can absolutely see Paris being the pick at 10. It makes all the sense in the world. Immediate starter at RG where we will almost certain to lose Ike Seumalo. He's versatile to play on either side of the OL, so he can backup LT where we are losing Andre Dillard to free agency and he can eventually take over at RT when Lane hangs em up at RT. Plus, if you are going to pay Hurts all that cash it makes all the sense in the world to make sure he stays protected. We can use the later 1st round pick to address CB which is one of the deepest early round positions. 

And one of Johnson's attributes is his versatility which the Eagles value very much.  He's played multiple positions on the OL at a high level.

On 2/20/2023 at 7:17 PM, Procus said:

Isaac Seumalo is gone in free agency.  Who do you suggest they replace him with?  It's critical that the team find a stud who they can insert opening day the way they did with Landon Dickerson last year.  Somebody ideally who can play RG and then slide over to RT if LJ is out and permanently when he retires.  If anyone thinks this is not a critical need, go check out how the Eagles played sans LJ.  They stink without him.  The right side of the line is the most critical, pressing, long-term need for this team - and RG first and foremost.  If not Paris Johnson, them somebody who can play RG and RT.

I think Seumalo gets a big contract elsewhere, but the Eagles could potentially move Cam Jurgens out to RG if Jason Kelce decides to play another season. However, there's a real possibility that Kelce ends up retiring and Jurgens takes his spot at center, leaving a hole at RG when Seumalo walks in free agency.

9 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I think Seumalo gets a big contract elsewhere, but the Eagles could potentially move Cam Jurgens out to RG if Jason Kelce decides to play another season. However, there's a real possibility that Kelce ends up retiring and Jurgens takes his spot at center, leaving a hole at RG when Seumalo walks in free agency.

It certainly is a possibility - but we didn't see Jurgens play any RG this season which leads me to doubt that the Eagles have plans for him playing that position.

• 2 weeks later...

Because the Eagles build their lines and restock them as needed. Not a sexy pick, but this guy is a beast. Kelce and Lane getting up there. so Howie might pull this one off now.

The more I think about it, the more I think Paris Johnson is a lock at 10 unless Jalen Carter or Will Anderson fall to 10 (which won’t happen).

Measurables very similar to Lane and I know this is one clip but all day Stoutland was showing him love during the drills at the combine

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 3:58 PM, philafan4o8 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Paris Johnson is a lock at 10 unless Jalen Carter or Will Anderson fall to 10 (which won’t happen).

Measurables very similar to Lane and I know this is one clip but all day Stoutland was showing him love during the drills at the combine

My thoughts exactly…

Possibly BPA, a longterm need with Lane turning 33, value is there, Eagles ❤️ OL and DL with top pick, athletic and versatile prospect, great character, great work ethic etc etc.

What are the odds Eagles select a lineman over a corner in top 15?! About 95 %?! Enough said…

It would surprise me if they take Gonzalez, Witherspoon, Porter or Robinson over this kid. Not saying I’d necessarily do it but they will…

If it were up to me, I’d take Witherspoon or Gonzalez at #10 but I won’t be mad if they settle for Johnson there.

Eagles need to jump bears if they want Johnson now 

• Sad 1

On 3/10/2023 at 11:41 PM, philafan4o8 said:

Eagles need to jump bears if they want Johnson now 

Unless Bears like Skoronski more…

7 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Unless Bears like Skoronski more…

Skoronski has short arms and projects more as a guard. But if they see him as a better prospect then that's great for the Eagles

Stoutland seems to be able to turn OL drafted outside of the first into stars. I'd actually be surprised if they went OL high in the first 

• Like 2