If the Bears wanted to take a QB with the #1 overall pick and Justin Fields was available......

Wallyhorse

Would you pull a trade of Hurts for Justin Fields and draft picks?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pull off the trade listed below?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/2023 at 11:33 PM

11 minutes ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Here’s a not off limits one, consider the entirety of the post before you dismiss it:

Houston is picking 2nd overall and 12th overall(browns for Deshaun). Their owner is tired of losing and is smitten over Texas prodigy Jalen Hurts. He offers Howie 3 1sts and any 1 player on his roster for Jalen. A team once gave 3 first round picks for RGIII without even knowing if he could play on the NFL level. Rams gave a pro bowl QB and 2 firsts for 33 yr old Stafford who could retire after only 3-4 years with the team. This is a perfectly plausible trade for a 24 yr old, potential SB champion, 2nd team all-pro.

Texans have a completely depleted roster. So that means even with Jalen, they’re picking top 10 again next year.

pick 2, pick 10, pick 12, top 10 next year and pick a player. With a couple moderate trade ups in this draft we end up with Will Anderson, Jalen Carter, a top QB prospect (Will Levis?), next year’s Will Anderson, and Derek Stingley. none need a major extension before 2026.

Unlikely yes, but not implausible. Would this be an easy trade to refuse?

If the Autobots offered Optimus Prime I might take that. He has great leadership skills

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

You are looking at it from the emotional side.  I'm looking at it from the chance to bring in a QB who could very well be a superstar himself while still on a rookie contract for at least one more season beyond 2023 allowing the Eagles to bring in other players who can help keep this going as Hurts is likely to get paid THIS offseason (as Hurts was a second rounder).  The Jets I can see trading for Hurts in that scenario because Robert Salah and Joe Douglas blew it on Zach Wilson and if they don't make the playoffs next year they are GONE. 

Now YOU take the economics out.

Where's the compelling side of the trade for the Eagles?  Draft picks for the sure thing?  A developing QB that, so far, looks like a poor man's Michael Vick.  

You're pinching pennies at the most valuable position in sports so you can get a few more lottery picks?  That's assuming Fields can play at the same level as Hurts.  You're also assuming that the draft picks will be good.

The Jets WITH Hurts and that defense.  Thats a bottom half round pick you are getting.

Why would you trade away the sure thing at the position everyone in the league can spend decades trying to find?  So you can maximize salary cap deals on free agents?  Washington Redskins spent 20 years trying to build a team with "sure thing" veterans at the expense of draft picks.  The LA Rams are in a quandry doing the same thing.

The question I pose to you is where is the compelling offer for the Eagles.  I'm just not seeing it.  Starting QBs can get THREE number one draft picks AND players.  Maybe if you came to the table with (I hate to do this) "an offer they couldn't refuse" I could see a discussion, but this is just being pennywise, pound foolish.  For a team that wants to be a legitimate contender, you can't run a team that way.  See Cincinnati Bengals in the 90s.

15 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

Here’s a not off limits one, consider the entirety of the post before you dismiss it:

Houston is picking 2nd overall and 12th overall(browns for Deshaun). Their owner is tired of losing and is smitten over Texas prodigy Jalen Hurts. He offers Howie 3 1sts and any 1 player on his roster for Jalen. A team once gave 3 first round picks for RGIII without even knowing if he could play on the NFL level. Rams gave a pro bowl QB and 2 firsts for 33 yr old Stafford who could retire after only 3-4 years with the team. This is a perfectly plausible trade for a 24 yr old, potential SB champion, 2nd team all-pro.

Texans have a completely depleted roster. So that means even with Jalen, they’re picking top 10 again next year.

pick 2, pick 10, pick 12, top 10 next year and pick a player. With a couple moderate trade ups in this draft we end up with Will Anderson, Jalen Carter, a top QB prospect (Will Levis?), next year’s Will Anderson, and Derek Stingley. none need a major extension before 2026.

Unlikely yes, but not implausible. Would this be an easy trade to refuse?

Such a bad game to play...gambling with QBs.....

If the Eagles had a backup they had successfully groomed into a potential starter, I could see this happening. 

If this was a team that was old and needed a complete reload....I could see this happening.

This team really isn't either of these.   They're equipped at the right positions and capable of filling in holes where needed. Good players will take bad contracts to play on contenders.  Blowing it all up to gamble on a rookie QB who will probably fail is not a way to maintain a winning formula.

• Like 1

Firstly I'm not sure the Bears are going to give up on Fields yet. And I'm not sure that they should either. He's good, he's got potential and they need to give him the weapons to succeed. 

Secondly, absolutely no freaking way am I trading Hurts. I'm not sure I'd trade him for anything at this point. He's our guy and the future of this team.

So the Eagles have to downgrade at QB and give up a 1st rounder to do so? Why would anyone do that? Have you seen Fields throw the ball? 

• Haha 1

Just for the sake of argument, first, Howie hasn't had a history of bringing in guys that were starters elsewhere to start for the Eagles.  I'd say he'd be more willing to roll the dice on a guy the Eagles drafted.  So, you can go ahead and eliminate the idea of Fields and the Bears.

However, if the Jets really wanted Hurts, the only way I could see that happening is if the Eagles were enamored with someone in the draft and if they felt sure that they would be able to draft that player.  If that's the case, the starting offer would be along the lines of what the Seahawks got for Russ: 2 1s, 2 2s, and some low picks exchanged.  

That all said, it's absolutely not going to happen.  Howie likely will give Hurts a contract extension this offseason that will make Jalen very rich and an Eagle for a long time.

Edit: a word.

• Like 1

Just so everyone can read it the other way, here is what every team gives up:

EAGLES: Jalen Hurts, #30 (or #31) overall pick in 2023 draft, maybe a 2023 5th round pick

BEARS: Justin Fields, #32 overall pick in 2023 draft

JETS: #13 overall pick in 2023 draft, #44 over pick in 2023 draft, 2024 2nd round pick, 2025(?) 2nd round pick, maybe additional picks

Of course the Jets would do this trade. They would have to give up so little to get one of the premier QBs in the league.  Why the Eagles or Bears would do this trade is a mystery, though.

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That right there is too big a price.

As I already said, the Texans are the only team who have the resources to even start that conversation.  And it would take their two 2023 1sts, and their two 2024 1sts.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

As I already said, the Texans are the only team who have the resources to even start that conversation.  And it would take their two 2023 1sts, and their two 2024 1sts.

Which they wouldn't do because they need to put a team around any QB they end up with. And this is the reason I earlier dismissed this trade without a thought. The only acceptable package for Hurts would be one that no team would make. So yeah, I'd trade him for Mahomes lol. But nobody is going to make an offer like that. Trading a very young QB that you know can play for picks is not something I'd like to see no matter what the compensation is (this is the part where someone comes up with a ridiculous trad3 package idea to "prove" me wrong).

2 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

Which they wouldn't do because they need to put a team around any QB they end up with. And this is the reason I earlier dismissed this trade without a thought. The only acceptable package for Hurts would be one that no team would make. So yeah, I'd trade him for Mahomes lol. But nobody is going to make an offer like that. Trading a very young QB that you know can play for picks is not something I'd like to see no matter what the compensation is (this is the part where someone comes up with a ridiculous trad3 package idea to "prove" me wrong).

I didn't see we should or are going to do this, just stating that the Texans are the only team who would have the capital to make it worth picking up the phone in this hypothetical nonsense world.

I see the thought process behind the proposal, but the big flaw is the assumption that Justin Fields can make the leap into a Jalen Hurts type player.

QB is such an essential position and it's not like we're in a situation where he have an embarrassment of riches at the position. You saw what happened when Gardner Minshew was the starter those 2 games when Hurts was out.

Yes, it will be harder to construct the roster after Hurts gets his big contract, but that's a better problem to have, filling the other holes via the draft and FA.

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I didn't see we should or are going to do this, just stating that the Texans are the only team who would have the capital to make it worth picking up the phone in this hypothetical nonsense world.

I have no clue what their cap looks like over the next two years, but I wonder if Bengals fans will have conversations like this if they get bounced again next season. "We should trade Burrow for a bunch of first round picks instead of paying him". Somehow I doubt that, and this is probably just "a Philly thing".

• Haha 1

Just now, eaglesfan0075 said:

I see the thought process behind the proposal, but the big flaw is the assumption that Justin Fields can make the leap into a Jalen Hurts type player.

QB is such an essential position and it's not like we're in a situation where he have an embarrassment of riches at the position. You saw what happened when Gardner Minshew was the starter those 2 games when Hurts was out.

Yes, it will be harder to construct the roster after Hurts gets his big contract, but that's a better problem to have, filling the other holes via the draft and FA.

It's definitely easier to patch a few possible holes in the roster with vets than it is to draft a QB lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I have no clue what their cap looks like over the next two years, but I wonder if Bengals fans will have conversations like this if they get bounced again next season. "We should trade Burrow for a bunch of first round picks instead of paying him". Somehow I doubt that, and this is probably just "a Philly thing".

I keep meaning to go find some other boards and see if this is the case.