If you can do it over again, would you have hired Chip Kelly?

gameshowfan91

Yes I would, because of what Eagles did after Chip Kelly era. In other words, butterfly effect. I'm not saying Chip Kelly was great by any means. He was a moron. 

• Like 5

I mean it all depends. Things worked out right? We won the SB and went back 5 years later and were so close again. Some of the things Chip introduced are still used so that played a part.

But then that also means every single decision and every single draft pick and signing also led us to that. So the Marcus Smith draft pick was also a contributing factor because it led us to the SB…

• Like 2

Hmmmm...Chip Kelly and hypotheticals...what would Chip say?

Oh, here it is:

"This is my deal with hypotheticals, because everyone wants to use them to some degree. If we’re going to use hypotheticals, we should cancel the season, cause hypothetically we won the Super Bowl. Let’s go all out with the hypotheticals, let’s say we won the Super Bowl, so it’s over."

Chip-Kelly-49ers.jpg

Andy had to go to get a fresh start. but Kelly didn't have to be here. In the end, it all worked out with the big shift in coaching style to Doug. SB52 was a fun ride.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Yes I would, because of what Eagles did after Chip Kelly era. 

Why would I do it over? Wouldn't that take away what happened after as well? You can't take back what happened. 

I don’t think any Eagles fan would change anything in the past that could potentially wipe out our Super Bowl, which makes hypothetical questions like this pointless. The butterfly effect. You could go as far back as Kotite, and say if not for the 94 team suffering a 7 game collapse, Lurie might not fire him then, leading to the Rhodes era, which saw 4 straight years of decline, which led to the Andy Reid era, which ushered in an era of respectability that led to the franchise being in the state it is today. 

It makes more sense to look at Chip Kelly in a vacuum and ask was it a mistake bringing him in, and I would say yes it was. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don’t think any Eagles fan would change anything in the past that could potentially wipe out our Super Bowl, which makes hypothetical questions like this pointless. The butterfly effect. You could go as far back as Kotite, and say if not for the 94 team suffering a 7 game collapse, Lurie might not fire him then, leading to the Rhodes era, which saw 4 straight years of decline, which led to the Andy Reid era, which ushered in an era of respectability that led to the franchise being in the state it is today. 

It makes more sense to look at Chip Kelly in a vacuum and ask was it a mistake bringing him in, and I would say yes it was. 

Right we've watched enough losing to see how fine a line it is. In theory you'd look to have drafted Cook with a trade up over Sidney Jones but then maybe you don't get Blount & Ajayi and Cook gets hurt before big games. Last season Eagles were great and didn't win. I'd trade 2 1's for a D-back who is a complete bust in his career but made a key INT in the SB

• Like 2

I still don't think Chip was as big a disaster as this board makes out, everyone talks like he gutted a golden roster, the team was a dumpster fire that had gone 12-20 over the 2 seasons before he took over,  if he'd given Mathis a new contract or at least drafted a guard high in the 2015 draft (or appointed a better DC than Billy Davies) he'd probably have survived. I'll always love Doug for getting the Lombardi, but his offense was nowhere near as fun as Chip's to watch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Vee said:

I think Gus Bradley was Plan B that year?  Does anyone remember?

The Gus Bus!

40 minutes ago, Vee said:

I think Gus Bradley was Plan B that year?  Does anyone remember?

There was talk of Bradley, and I think Bruce Arians has said we cancelled an interview with him just before appointing Kelly too.

9 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Yes I would, because of what Eagles did after Chip Kelly era. 

In theory most of the 'good' that was done was Howie.  What if you could hire Chip Kelly again, but this time Howie gets to stay on as GM?

No, because he released or traded all of my favorite players on the team at the time, and may have derailed the careers of Foles, Jackson, and Shady. That's not to say that these players didn't have any success after leaving, but who knows what could've been had they stayed as Eagles. 

Also, all of the "but it lead to a SB" talk is nonsense. I mean, you could go really far down the rabbit hole when analyzing what factors/decisions lead to the eventual SB. 

Maybe if we didn't hire Kelly, we would have won 6 Super Bowls.

Answer is always no. He was horrific.

I would do it again if only to make fun of his techniques again.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chip-kelly-using-remote-control-car-to-skirt-rules-0ap2000000352206

"I was sitting and waiting to go in and meet with (general manager Howie Roseman) and all the front office guys," Allen said, via Philadelphia Magazine, "and Coach Kelly was driving around a little remote control car -- they use it out on the field because they can't do motions -- and he drove it right into me and was like, 'Oh, hey Beau, how are you doing?' And I was like, 'Hey, Coach.'"

My God, this thread is a Skip Bayless hot-take brought to life. 

He was a disaster of a coach with the interpersonal skills of a colostomy. He drove Shady and Jackson out of the organization. The one positive contribution he made other than a better draft position was the introduction of the RPO to Philly.  

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I still don't think Chip was as big a disaster as this board makes out, everyone talks like he gutted a golden roster, the team was a dumpster fire that had gone 12-20 over the 2 seasons before he took over,  if he'd given Mathis a new contract or at least drafted a guard high in the 2015 draft (or appointed a better DC than Billy Davies) he'd probably have survived. I'll always love Doug for getting the Lombardi, but his offense was nowhere near as fun as Chip's to watch.

Meh the league caught up to chips offense, it went from 3rd in points scored to 12th to 16th his last year.

Billy Davis I think gets a worse undeserved rap, chips offenses were routinely near the bottom in TOP and put Billy's defenses in constant bad position.

Once the turnovers dried up all those chip Kelly 30  second 3 n outs were tough to over come.

Not to mention not having much talent on D.

Trading for Sam Bradford and replacing Shady McCoy with DeMarco Murray? Drafting one OL his entire time in Philly (luckily it was Lane)?  No. The guy's a freakin moron who fell in love with his own press clippings.  Not gonna justify it with some "butterfly effect" BS. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lloyd said:

Drafting one OL his entire time in Philly (luckily it was Lane)

If Chip had his way, he would have wanted Dion Jordan, but Dolphins took away any chance of that happening.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

If Chip had his way, he would have wanted Dion Jordan, but Dolphins took away any chance of that happening.

100%...that was who he was aiming for. 

I wouldn't change a thing, not a single thing. Maybe we still win Super Bowl LII, but because idiot moves that Chip made, it made LII even better. Specifically, trading Nick. Having Nick come back, then go on the post-season run that he did, it was just a thing of beauty. 

Yes, we had to suffer through his tenure, but the absolute glory of 2017 made those few years of pain, worth it. More than worth it. Alter one thing, even having him go to that Christmas party, and 2017 could melt away like cotton candy dropped into a big bowl of water. 

• Like 2

First of all - F Chip Kelly!

But yes, I would do it all over again. You don't mess with the butterfly effect.

Lastly - F Chip Kelly!

• Like 2