If you can do it over again, would you have hired Chip Kelly?

gameshowfan91

On 4/19/2023 at 2:31 AM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Cool 

You know you miss the Chippah! 😂🤣😂

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

You know you miss the Chippah! 😂🤣😂

The clown OP starts this stupid topic at least twice a year!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe they should have just kept Andy. 

But why? Andy is overrated imo, and lucky he has 2 SB wins.  If the 49ers don't choke, and there's a decent field in the one we lost in, he'd be 0-4 in the big game imo.

2 hours ago, MF POON said:

But why? Andy is overrated imo, and lucky he has 2 SB wins.  If the 49ers don't choke, and there's a decent field in the one we lost in, he'd be 0-4 in the big game imo.

But he does have his rings and appearances. Chip Kelly was a complete mistake and maybe if that dope didn’t trade Foles away we might have had an extra Bowl ourselves.

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

But he does have his rings and appearances. Chip Kelly was a complete mistake and maybe if that dope didn’t trade Foles away we might have had an extra Bowl ourselves.

I don't disagree about Chip being a mistake - I just thought it was time for Andy to move on from Philly is all.  I never liked the Kelly hire, but bought in after his first season. Once Foles got traded I was out lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MF POON said:

I don't disagree about Chip being a mistake - I just thought it was time for Andy to move on from Philly is all.  I never liked the Kelly hire, but bought in after his first season. Once Foles got traded I was out lol.

I kind of felt Andy ran his course here too, but I’d rather we kept a burnt out Andy than that dope Chip Kelly.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 12:03 PM, EricAllenPick6 said:

In theory most of the 'good' that was done was Howie.  What if you could hire Chip Kelly again, but this time Howie gets to stay on as GM?

Chip was the best thing that happened to Howie. Most everyone wanted him gone and now he is pretty much as loved as any GM is in the league. What he has done since chip left and with the wentz meltdown has been nothing short of a miracle.

Its just as true/pointless that Kotite was a moron butterfly flapping his New Yawk wings leading to the domino effect of AR.

It does not mean that both Chump Kelly and Ritchie the K were not bad people and worse coaches.

Kotite, Kelly, Khayat, Kuharich... maybe its time to avoid the letter K when hiring coaches here.

I'll tell a story that fits with what my responses below. I liked doing, I'll call it Job B, but I got let go because of not trying hard enough. Then I had to take a lower paying job, I'll call it, Job C, which I didn't like as much. I didn't get too comfortable with Job C. I didn't want to play it safe and keep this job with lower pay.

I decided to try to do Job B again, knowing it's harder than Job C. I learned to try harder with Job B. I've been doing a job with Job B with that experience. It made me appreciate Job B more. When I can get, I'll call it Job A, I won't get too comfortable and give minimal effort. If I played it safe with Job C, I wouldn't be getting as much money and wouldn't be able to do as much and I think getting Job A would be harder.

23 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I kind of felt Andy ran his course here too, but I’d rather we kept a burnt out Andy than that dope Chip Kelly.

It was time to move on from Andy Reid after 2012. Things got stale. Eagles weren't a great team like in early 2000's. To me, keeping Reid after 2012 would have been playing it safe. Eagles didn't win a Super Bowl by playing it safe. I don't think Reid would have changed. He needed to be fired to change. I think he got too comfortable after a while.

I don't think Eagles would be great like early 2000's if Eagles kept Reid after 2012. Eagles needed to take a chance on a different head coach. I didn't like Chip. I think Chip was horrible. I think Eagles teams after Chip got fired are some of best this franchise has had. Early 2000's teams were really good, but not as good as now IMO. Eagles needed to take chances, not play it safe, to be great.

20 hours ago, GreenMachine said:

Chip was the best thing that happened to Howie. Most everyone wanted him gone and now he is pretty much as loved as any GM is in the league. What he has done since chip left and with the wentz meltdown has been nothing short of a miracle.

Howie didn't have a threat of losing his job. After he lost his job to Chip, he became a top GM. He didn't get all that recognition until after losing job for a year. After getting job back, Howie traded up from 13 to 8 to 2 to get Wentz and traded Bradford away. Wentz didn't work out long term but got a Super Bowl out of him.

He also took chance of getting bashed to draft Hurts in second round. A lot of people, myself included, hated pick because they had their apparent franchise QB at time in Wentz. He even traded Wentz away without knowing if Hurts could be guy for Eagles. I know Wentz wanted out, but Howie could have said no and make him compete with Hurts.  He also traded for AJ Brown, who needed a new contract. I think Chip taking his job was wake up call Howie needed. It doesn't look like Howie is getting too comfortable. Eagles needed to take those chances to be great.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I'll tell a story that fits with what my responses below. I liked doing, I'll call it Job B, but I got let go because of not trying hard enough. Then I had to take a lower paying job, I'll call it, Job C, which I didn't like as much. I didn't get too comfortable with Job C. I didn't want to play it safe and keep this job with lower pay.

I decided to try to do Job B again, knowing it's harder than Job C. I learned to try harder with Job B. I've been doing a job with Job B with that experience. It made me appreciate Job B more. When I can get, I'll call it Job A, I won't get too comfortable and give minimal effort. If I played it safe with Job C, I wouldn't be getting as much money and wouldn't be able to do as much and I think getting Job A would be harder.

It was time to move on from Andy Reid after 2012. Things got stale. Eagles weren't a great team like in early 2000's. To me, keeping Reid after 2012 would have been playing it safe. Eagles didn't win a Super Bowl by playing it safe. I don't think Reid would have changed. He needed to be fired to change. I think he got too comfortable after a while.

I don't think Eagles would be great like early 2000's if Eagles kept Reid after 2012. Eagles needed to take a chance on a different head coach. I didn't like Chip. I think Chip was horrible. I think Eagles teams after Chip got fired are some of best this franchise has had. Early 2000's teams were really good, but not as good as now IMO. Eagles needed to take chances, not play it safe, to be great.

Howie didn't have a threat of losing his job. After he lost his job to Chip, he became a top GM. He didn't get all that recognition until after losing job for a year. After getting job back, Howie traded up from 13 to 8 to 2 to get Wentz and traded Bradford away. Wentz didn't work out long term but got a Super Bowl out of him.

He also took chance of getting bashed to draft Hurts in second round. A lot of people, myself included, hated pick because they had their apparent franchise QB at time in Wentz. He even traded Wentz away without knowing if Hurts could be guy for Eagles. I know Wentz wanted out, but Howie could have said no and make him compete with Hurts.  He also traded for AJ Brown, who needed a new contract. I think Chip taking his job was wake up call Howie needed. Eagles needed to take those chances to be great.

I do think Reid had run his course here, but I hate Chip Kelly more than my understanding that Reid needed to go. 😂

On 4/21/2023 at 1:20 PM, MF POON said:

That's ignorant. He's a Hall of Fame Coach with long standing success with two Franchises. You mentioned his rings. Don't forget his extensive coaching tree. 

13 hours ago, SB52 said:

Hiring Chip Kelly made both Howie and Lurie better. It also brought Stoutland to Philadelphia.

That which doesn't kill you tends to make you stronger.

• Like 1

The Chip Kelly coaching hire wasn’t that bad; it was giving him control over personnel decisions that was truly awful.  He hadn’t earned that amount of clout, and was woefully unqualified for it.  He had a fat head from pushing kids around who couldn’t say no.  He was Urban Meyer without the pervert gene (as far as we know).

He’d have been fired shortly even without his terrible interpersonal traits because his offense never adapted when defenses adjusted and, even when it was new, I don’t think he ever beat a top 10 defense 

• Like 2

Chip Kelly the pied piper of Philly. Still people over value this hack of a coach who was so ego driven that he removed any talent from the roster because he foolishly believed his 4 Tecmo Bowl plays were somehow good coaching. Have people forgotten the bum of a coach has a losing record with every quarterback (and there were a number of them) not named Nick Foles? How about how this idiot signed a N/S running back only to run him E/W? How about that offense of his and the way it killed his own defense? Just like the Chippah said "the only Chip on the Eagles is me” because he was so convinced he was bigger than the game. Chip Kelly was as bad as a coach as he as was as a talent evaluator/GM. He was an unlikeable figure who did less than Rich Kotite that so many people are still foolishly obsessed over and completely overhyped. 

• Like 1

One thing I was pissed at Chippah for was pulling Foles in the 2013 Raiders game. I never understood why he did it, the way Nick was going he would have set a record rather than tying.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Chip Kelly the pied piper of Philly. Still people over value this hack of a coach who was so ego driven that he removed any talent from the roster because he foolishly believed his 4 Tecmo Bowl plays were somehow good coaching. Have people forgotten the bum of a coach has a losing record with every quarterback (and there were a number of them) not named Nick Foles? How about how this idiot signed a N/S running back only to run him E/W? How about that offense of his and the way it killed his own defense? Just like the Chippah said "the only Chip on the Eagles is me” because he was so convinced he was bigger than the game. Chip Kelly was as bad as a coach as he as was as a talent evaluator/GM. He was an unlikeable figure who did less than Rich Kotite that so many people are still foolishly obsessed over and completely overhyped. 

Did you read this thread?

On 4/22/2023 at 8:40 PM, Erie said:

That's ignorant. He's a Hall of Fame Coach with long standing success with two Franchises. You mentioned his rings. Don't forget his extensive coaching tree. 

I never said he was a bad coach, just overrated. The first SB win was unimpressive and I won't even get into the Eagles fumbling a win on a terrible field.  You have Chief fans calling him and Mahomes GOATS, which is crazy

The formula for winning a super bowl is ever changing......some teams win with great defensive games, some teams win with overwhelming offense. Average QBs have won super bowls and many great players never win one.  

The combination of talent, coaches that bring a strong culture, strategic free agents, young developing players,  and the competitive nature of the NFL all feed into it......and then there is the salary cap and injuries/depth.

It seems like it starts with strong coaching, then an effective QB with talent around him, a creative and active defense. And a GM & scouting dept that can fill temporary holes in the roster.

Chip Kelly seemed to lose the faith and confidence of his players......but it also forced the organization to change the way it did things.  Reid was HC and basically the GM and that never produced a championship.  Kelly also had GM duties and that didn't work.  When Lurie separated those duties with Howie and Pedersen, then things started to change and produced a super bowl win.  

I think Lurie has embraced the 2 separate roles that work closely and has produced contenders.   So I think I wouldn't change anything,  I Lurie, in his pursuit of a super bowl, has learned a huge lesson and subsequently, will always keep the 2 roles separate.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 8:36 AM, MF POON said:

I never said he was a bad coach, just overrated. The first SB win was unimpressive and I won't even get into the Eagles fumbling a win on a terrible field.  You have Chief fans calling him and Mahomes GOATS, which is crazy

I think Andy is in the discussion for one of the greatest coaches of this generation. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 7:51 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Maybe they should have just kept Andy. 

Andy was done. Family crisis. He needed a change of scenery, as much as we could not stand his lack of adjustments. It is what it is.

On 4/23/2023 at 6:58 PM, Alphagrand said:

The Chip Kelly coaching hire wasn’t that bad; it was giving him control over personnel decisions that was truly awful.  He hadn’t earned that amount of clout, and was woefully unqualified for it.  He had a fat head from pushing kids around who couldn’t say no.  He was Urban Meyer without the pervert gene (as far as we know).

He’d have been fired shortly even without his terrible interpersonal traits because his offense never adapted when defenses adjusted and, even when it was new, I don’t think he ever beat a top 10 defense 

In retrospect all the necessary parts were not there…Howe sucked as a GM at the time…and Chip had a pulse on college players. If we lived in a different Universe…giving Chip a one year Temporary GM, and bringing in a real GM the next year would have been my choice. But in reality it would never work, because No one likes to be demoted. So it is Just a fantasy. Everything happened for a reason. 

Taking a shot on a Winning College coach is risky, but it is not stupid. If Chip had a better support team around him, like a better GM than Howie was at the time, and a formidable defensive coordinator ….It could have worked. Maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1