If you can do it over again, would you have hired Chip Kelly?

gameshowfan91

All i remember were players faking injuries to stop his hurry up offense. It got pretty frustrating after a while.

They even did it from the very first game. Chip must have been pissed that his very first game they already figured out how to neutralize his "genius offense".

At the end of the day, Chip asked for his guy at QB and the front office refused to do the trade necessary to do it, we can argue about the merits of Mariota all day with the benefit of hindsight, but I can't recall hearing of that many teams that 'handed complete roster control' to a head coach and then immediately refuse to trade up for the one guy he asked for in the one draft he allegedly controlled.

Howie has improved leaps and bounds as a GM the last few years, but the pissing contest he got into with Chip was unprofessional on both sides and bad for the team at the time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

Andy was done. Family crisis. He needed a change of scenery, as much as we could not stand his lack of adjustments. It is what it is.

Though I don’t disagree with your view here, but maybe just one more year of an Andy could have prevented us from the disaster that was Chip Kelly. 

13 hours ago, opa-opa said:

All i remember were players faking injuries to stop his hurry up offense. It got pretty frustrating after a while.

They even did it from the very first game. Chip must have been pissed that his very first game they already figured out how to neutralize his "genius offense".

Only good things about Chip was that because of his failure we won a Super Bowl finally. And his shakes that magically kept players healthy throughout the season. That one still baffles me. Maybe guys were in the best shape of their lives?

• Like 1

I'm in disbelief at the posts that suggest Chip was a competent NFL head coach or that he didn't get a fair shake. He had the personality of a colostomy performed in a dumpster fire. 

I definitly would... this fan base always has selective memory but if there was no Chip then there would be no version of the Howie that we have now.

Howie getting put in the basement made him become a better GM and I applaud him for that. We know what his drafts and personel moves used to be and that is not the Howie we have now or since the demotion.  Chip had many flaws but I would not skip the hiring of him at all.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

I definitly would... this fan base always has selective memory but if there was no Chip then there would be no version of the Howie that we have now.

Howie getting put in the basement made him become a better GM and I applaud him for that. We know what his drafts and personel moves used to be and that is not the Howie we have now or since the demotion.  Chip had many flaws but I would not skip the hiring of him at all.

I don’t know if I agree with Kelly being the reason Howie changed. After all Howie after 2020 was also pretty much on the hot seat too. Howie changed off his own merits. It had nothing to do with that dope. 

No, I would not have hired that giant piece of chewed bubble gum if I had to do it all over again. 

That being said, I do think it was good for Howie to get demoted and then reinstated.  He needed that bit of humbling.  I suppose that wouldn't have happened if Chip wasn't here screwing things up. 

But still...

No. 

On 4/19/2023 at 2:28 AM, gameshowfan91 said:

Yes I would, because of what Eagles did after Chip Kelly era. In other words, butterfly effect. I'm not saying Chip Kelly was great by any means. He was a moron. 

I was against firing Andy Reid, and at the time it felt like I was the only Eagles fan that was upset about it.
I was against Chip Kelly from the start, but rooted for the team anyways despite him dismantling all the talent.
I can see what you mean in that it tought Jeff Lurie & GM Howie Roseman important lessons in the process (such as don't give all the power to your new unproven HC for example i.e. GM powers).

Yes, because the team was able to learn and grow from the mistakes made his tenure as HC/GM and ultimately win SB52.

Don't forget that Doug Pederson used elements of Chip's RPO playbook with Nick Foles in that Super Bowl run. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Answering the original question, I'd contrast Chip's run with Spurrier or Saban and suddenly he doesn't look so bad. So yes i'd do it over again and i wasn't even a big fan of it at the time. Chip's offense was fun for a few minutes and got us lots of good press and attention. It predictably failed when he got rid of all the talent, but as bad as that was, every team goes through some ups and downs, and of course ultimately it led us to a great place.

The question I have is, why do we keep seeing these stupid threads every couple of years. The dude is a loser who almost sent this franchise into an ice age.

I would hire him again but only for the soundbite where he tells the media that Nick Foles is the starting quarterback for the next thousand years.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:57 PM, Lloyd said:

Trading for Sam Bradford and replacing Shady McCoy with DeMarco Murray? Drafting one OL his entire time in Philly (luckily it was Lane)?  No. The guy's a freakin moron who fell in love with his own press clippings.  Not gonna justify it with some "butterfly effect" BS. 

Don't forget his best move of all:  Releasing a 27 year old Pro Bowl receiver coming off an 80 catch, 1300 yard, 10 TD season.  Not trading him for ANY kind of compensation.  Cutting him, getting NOTHING for him.  Unforgivable sabotage and stupidity. 

Would not hesitate to do it.  Was the beginning of a organizational shift that evolved into what the team has today.  I think some of his innovations regarding sports medicine as well as certain offense concepts were kept as building blocks.  Howie would not be the GM he is today without his humbling experience during that time.

And while Kelly was a bonehead GM, he did field two ten win teams and did generate some excitement while with the team.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 7:02 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Though I don’t disagree with your view here, but maybe just one more year of an Andy could have prevented us from the disaster that was Chip Kelly. 

I think the net result of the Kelly hire to the Eagles organization as a whole was a positive.  He was a creep, and a terrible GM.  But he was also an innovator.  And of course, he did bring us Jeff Stoutland.  Howie also emerged as a different, and much better GM.

Bottom line, I question whether the Eagles would be an elite organization today if the team didn't bring in Kelly.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:38 PM, Procus said:

I think the net result of the Kelly hire to the Eagles organization as a whole was a positive.  He was a creep, and a terrible GM.  But he was also an innovator.  And of course, he did bring us Jeff Stoutland.  Howie also emerged as a different, and much better GM.

Bottom line, I question whether the Eagles would be an elite organization today if the team didn't bring in Kelly.

Well despite the love people keep giving this dope Chip Kelly let’s just remember that it was Andy Reid’s system (through Doug Pederson) that actually won the Super Bowl. Still the best era of Eagles football for the Eagles was under Andy Reid. The Eagles got better, because they walked away from the ruin that Chip Kelly made, and not because of anything he had actually done. I wonder how many Super Bowls have been lost for the Eagles because they hired Chip Kelly. 

When I think of all the pro-bowl years Chip Kelly casually threw away releasing our star players. I'm ....okay with him. Two 10 win seasons and his legacy to the organization as a whole, I think was positive. I'm not defending any single player he released, or bringing in Sam the scam. But I think he raised the bar overall, on what the Eagles should expect in terms of commitment. Before Chip, it seemed more the team's job to impress the player. After Chip, it was more the player's job to impress the team. Chip made some enemies in the process. I'm glad he was fired. But I'm kinda glad he was here.

Had we not hired Chip it likely would have led to a different path and we would not have hired Doug and therefore likely would not have that Lombardi in our trophy case sooooo .... 

• Like 1

Kelly was like adding bay leaves to a stew - the Eagles being the stew.  You add the bay leaves while the stew is cooking.  The bay leaves give the stew a certain flavor you can't get otherwise.  But before it's ready to be served, you take the bay leaves out.

Kelly is a bay leaf.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Kelly was like adding bay leaves to a stew - the Eagles being the stew.  You add the bay leaves while the stew is cooking.  The bay leaves give the stew a certain flavor you can't get otherwise.  But before it's ready to be served, you take the bay leaves out.

Kelly is a bay leaf.

Only makes sense then that he left here to go to "the City by the Bay"!  :lol:

• Haha 1

If you subscribe to the Butterfly Effect, hes a reason for all the success.

On 7/2/2023 at 5:32 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Well despite the love people keep giving this dope Chip Kelly let’s just remember that it was Andy Reid’s system (through Doug Pederson) that actually won the Super Bowl. Still the best era of Eagles football for the Eagles was under Andy Reid. The Eagles got better, because they walked away from the ruin that Chip Kelly made, and not because of anything he had actually done. I wonder how many Super Bowls have been lost for the Eagles because they hired Chip Kelly. 

We're not saying Chip Kelly was great. We're saying he was so bad that it made Jeffrey Lurie and Howie Roseman change the way they did things. Do you think Jeffrey and Howie would have learned anything if Andy Reid stayed after 2012? I don't think so.

Let's not forget, when Foles was under Andy Reid, he only won 1 game, and it was at buzzer. When Foles was under Chip and Doug, Foles looked like a starting NFL QB. Doug even used Chip Kelly playbook (yeah, that dope's playbook) in Playoffs after seeing Foles struggle. That won them Super Bowl, and not dumb coaching decisions. Does anyone really think Eagles win Super Bowl LII if Andy Reid was head coach? I don't think so. It could be Andy Reid's system but without questionable decisions and play calling.

• Haha 1