Round 7 pick #249 Eagles select Texas DT Moro Ojomo

brkmsn

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

8DEC46E5-B802-4EE8-B46A-71AACAE67E01.jpeg

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2023/4/26/23699903/nfl-draft-sleepers-2023-eagles-ray-didinger-analysis-deuce-vaughn-philadelphia

Moro Ojomo, Texas, DT, 6’3,” 284 pounds

"I don’t project him to be any kind of breakout star in the NFL, but I think in the right system, the way teams play defensive linemen right now, everyone rotates. You have three of four tackles that play, three or four ends that play. I can see him being a rotation kind of player and in the right defense, he can be an effective player. He’s not a big pass rusher, which is the one area he might be able to improve, but he is very strong, and very stout against the run. If you’re looking for a defensive tackle who is a three technique is going to go up field against the pass, you need one guy to stay at home and pick up the run. Ojomo could be that type of player.”

On 5/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, brkmsn said:

That is probably up to Street who has the advantage of being an NFL vet. But when we start thinking about cuts early like this as fans, it's always under the assumption every player will be healthy at the time of the cuts. If after OTAs, training camp and preseason the Eagles feel he's more of a developmental prospect, they could look for a reason to stash him on IR at some point like they did with Mailata in order to avoid exposing him to other teams. 

We had 6 DT's on the roster all year and a total of 8 took gameday snaps over last season, we currently have 8 on the roster. As it stands Davis, Carter, Cox and Williams are top of the rotation, I expect Tuipulotu to make the roster assuming his knee has fully recovered, so Wilson, Street and Ojomo are competing for 1 or 2 spots at bottom of the rotation / Practice squad. Wilson has been here 2 years and hasn't offered much, so Ojomo has a shot to stick.

Although there's always a fair possibility that someone that the FO really likes falls out in final roster cuts.

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

We had 6 DT's on the roster all year and a total of 8 took gameday snaps over last season, we currently have 8 on the roster. As it stands Davis, Carter, Cox and Williams are top of the rotation, I expect Tuipulotu to make the roster assuming his knee has fully recovered, so Wilson, Street and Ojomo are competing for 1 or 2 spots at bottom of the rotation / Practice squad. Wilson has been here 2 years and hasn't offered much, so Ojomo has a shot to stick.

Although there's always a fair possibility that someone that the FO really likes falls out in final roster cuts.

Is there a Wilson on the roster?  Not that I'm seeing.  Or are you thinking of Eliss?  

55 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Is there a Wilson on the roster?  Not that I'm seeing.  Or are you thinking of Eliss?  

Ha I just counted DT on the roster list and counted 8, I didn't notice we released Marvin Wilson at the end of April, gotta be honest I thought we waived Elliss with an injury last year. Bit surprised he's still around given he didn't even make it past the first day of training camp last year.

• 3 months later...
On 4/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, Utebird said:

I'm assuming they'll have him bulk up a bit to around 300 as 289 seems a bit light for NFL DTs that aren't Aaron Donald 

Honestly, I'd see what he looks like at DE, Reggie played at 290.

On 8/17/2023 at 5:24 PM, brkmsn said:

This rookie class so far has looked pretty good as a whole. I think I might have to write that Howie nailed the draft right @NOTW? 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Honestly, I'd see what he looks like at DE, Reggie played at 290.

Reggie was also 6'6" with long arms...

Not sure he has the length to be effective at DE.🤷‍♂️

On 5/17/2023 at 9:49 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Ha I just counted DT on the roster list and counted 8, I didn't notice we released Marvin Wilson at the end of April, gotta be honest I thought we waived Elliss with an injury last year. Bit surprised he's still around given he didn't even make it past the first day of training camp last year.

Elliss’ was a Non Football Injury designation (NFI) last year.

Speaking of NFI designations, does Kyron Johnson’s appendectomy qualify for NFIstatus?

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Reggie was also 6'6" with long arms...

Not sure he has the length to be effective at DE.🤷‍♂️

It's not about his length it's about his power and will, both of which are outstanding, I'd much rather see him a DE over BG.

BTW, he wins just like Reggie won, with the bull rush.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This rookie class so far has looked pretty good as a whole. I think I might have to write that Howie nailed the draft right @NOTW? 😂

They say can't judge a draft until 3 years, but the last 2 draft classes at this point comfortable saying he nailed them. It's like when Happy Gilmore learned to putt...Howie learned to draft, look out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EagleVA said:

It's not about his length it's about his power and will, both of which are outstanding, I'd much rather see him a DE over BG.

BTW, he wins just like Reggie won, with the bull rush.

Not sure that's the only way Reggie won, he had his famous hump move but as big as he was he also had pretty good bend and excellent speed.

I mean not really fair to say he can play DE by comparing him to the best DE in the history of the game.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

They say can't judge a draft until 3 years, but the last 2 draft classes at this point comfortable saying he nailed them. It's like when Happy Gilmore learned to putt...Howie learned to draft, look out!

Howie stopped trying to be cute and outsmart everyone like he did when he drafted Reagor over Jefferson. New Howie would’ve gone with the popular pick and taken Jefferson. 

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

I still think the jury is out on Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean. I know what they could potentially become, but we haven’t quite seen it yet. I’m excited for the future though.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Howie stopped trying to be cute and outsmart everyone like he did when he drafted Reagor over Jefferson. New Howie would’ve gone with the popular pick and taken Jefferson. 

I don't think that was a case of trying to outsmart everyone like some draft misfires in the past.  He was drafting for need taking Reagor for his outside speed, thinking he was getting DJax v2.0.  So that was equal parts poor evaluation and drafting for need.  

45 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I don't think that was a case of trying to outsmart everyone like some draft misfires in the past.  He was drafting for need taking Reagor for his outside speed, thinking he was getting DJax v2.0.  So that was equal parts poor evaluation and drafting for need.  

I still don't think he was looking for a DJax clone. I think he was hoping Reagor was a Tyreek Hill clone, because nobody really had an answer for that. He definitely wanted speed and Reagor's pro day time after he dropped the extra combine weight sold him. 

I think when somebody like Howie looks back on that decision and truly evaluates why Jefferson thrived and Reagor busted, you have to examine the mental evaluation process you use and put more stock into that in the future. Reagor was always in his own head. The more frustration he dealt with, the more criticism he heard, the worse he performed on the field. Jefferson is the opposite. You have to determine what prospects have the mental capacity for greatness. Reagor did not. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I still don't think he was looking for a DJax clone. I think he was hoping Reagor was a Tyreek Hill clone, because nobody really had an answer for that. He definitely wanted speed and Reagor's pro day time after he dropped the extra combine weight sold him. 

I think when somebody like Howie looks back on that decision and truly evaluates why Jefferson thrived and Reagor busted, you have to examine the mental evaluation process you use and put more stock into that in the future. Reagor was always in his own head. The more frustration he dealt with, the more criticism he heard, the worse he performed on the field. Jefferson is the opposite. You have to determine what prospects have the mental capacity for greatness. Reagor did not. 

You could very well be right about Hill (vs DJax).  And that second point is spot on.  That’s all part of the evaluation process.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

New Howie has almost gone exclusively with SEC players, specifically Georgia and Alabama, which has worked out very well. Old Howie used to take a lot of players from the PAC 10, which did not. 

There’s definitely been a change in draft philosophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

New Howie has almost gone exclusively with SEC players, specifically Georgia and Alabama, which has worked out very well. Old Howie used to take a lot of players from the PAC 10, which did not. 

For sure and that is something many of us were clamoring over for years (for Howie to take the best players from the best conferences).  Seems simple enough … glad he finally seems to have realized that.  

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

And the Pac12 is almost history #TheHowieEffect

On 8/19/2023 at 8:56 PM, Utebird said:

Not sure that's the only way Reggie won, he had his famous hump move but as big as he was he also had pretty good bend and excellent speed.

I mean not really fair to say he can play DE by comparing him to the best DE in the history of the game.

I'm not sure if he can play DE but when I saw footage on him my feeling was he's a DE, he'll be strong against the run and a bull rushing pocket collasper on passes.

The only comparison I made to Reggie was size and pass rushing technique. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 10:51 AM, Road to Victory said:

and a good change, have to figure that the best players probably gravitate to that division, so when you are drafting these guys, they have already played against the best competition.