Derek Barnett

ManchesterEagle

4 hours ago, mattwill said:

All the Edge rushers across the league take snaps from both two point, three point and even four point stances.  The occasional example isn't terribly meaningful.  What is meaningful is an exhaustive statistical analysis of all the snaps of the respective players. 

I'm not dissing Smith.  I fully expect him to have a very different usage in his second year than he is having in his first year.  That pattern is a reasonably consistent Eagles MO.  They give Rookies time to develop,

The point I am making is the Eagles have several options more than capable of replacing Barnett. Him being a DE doesn’t make him untouchable nor does it mean that Smith can take over the seven or so snaps a game Barnett is getting now. He’s not as important as you seem to think he is. 

3 hours ago, jojodancer said:

Not interested in keeping Barnett even a little bit just because he's decent at stopping the run. He's got no legs or speed at this point. Super replaceable as he hardly plays. He is who he is. And he's is a risk for taking a bone headed penalty at some point. It's coming. Ha. Rather see more of Milton Williams and even Street at end who give you much more explosiveness. Dead wood at this point. Hope they find a taker for a future 7th rounder. DONE!

Okay, who are you going to replace him with in next week's game if you don't keep him beyond this weekend?  It is one thing to have a conceptual passion.  It is another thing to actual;ly have an implementable plan for translating passionate words into action.

16 minutes ago, mattwill said:

Okay, who are you going to replace him with in next week's game if you don't keep him beyond this weekend?  It is one thing to have a conceptual passion.  It is another thing to actual;ly have an implementable plan for translating passionate words into action.

The plan is to be right and be able to say, "I told you so." Nobody has said Barnett was untouchable, irreplaceable or super important to this team's success. All people have been arguing here is he's not as bad as some people want to pretend he is. Those that don't like him, can't stand that the Eagles actually believe in him. They need the Eagles to move on from him to rationalize their claims about him. It's as simple as that. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The plan is to be right and be able to say, "I told you so." Nobody has said Barnett was untouchable, irreplaceable or super important to this team's success. All people have been arguing here is he's not as bad as some people want to pretend he is. Those that don't like him, can't stand that the Eagles actually believe in him. They need the Eagles to move on from him to rationalize their claims about him. It's as simple as that. 

Well said.  My thoughts as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattwill said:

They did quite fine without him last  year. Dont need him. He plays about 12 snaps a game. Like I stated, more Milton Williams and Street has played DE in the NFL & is good vs. the run.

13 minutes ago, jojodancer said:

They did quite fine without him last  year. Dont need him. He plays about 12 snaps a game. Like I stated, more Milton Williams and Street has played DE in the NFL & is good vs. the run.

Last year, they ended up giving up a 4th for Quinn and were one of the worst defenses in YPC vs the run. If the team didn't need him this year, they wouldn't be using a roster spot on him and activating him every game and giving him snaps to spell Sweat. Obviously, the Eagles feel he is needed to do what they are asking him to do. FWIW, Street has a slightly lower PFF grade than Barnett so far on the season. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Last year, they ended up giving up a 4th for Quinn and were one of the worst defenses in YPC vs the run. If the team didn't need him this year, they wouldn't be using a roster spot on him and activating him every game and giving him snaps to spell Sweat. Obviously, the Eagles feel he is needed to do what they are asking him to do. FWIW, Street has a slightly lower PFF grade than Barnett so far on the season. 

So are you blaming their poor results against the run on Quinn who they traded for later and barley played, and are you claiming that Barnett who barley plays now is the catalyst for their run defense? Otherwise this comment is pointless. I’m sure their run defense resurgence is more related to Davis getting hurt last year and Davis playing like a monster this year.these fringe players you’re trying to overhype do not matter. This is about different philosophies with coaches and healthier and more talented players at DT. Bottom line is Barnett is expendable and that’s what everyone else is trying to convey to you Barnett defenders. If the Eagles believed so much in him as you are assuming then his snaps wouldn’t be in the decline. Then again I don’t expect you to realize this. How long did it take to convince you JJAW was trash? If Barnett is so sought after why didn’t any team offer anything for this guy when he requested to be traded? Better question is why did no team other than the Eagles offer him a contract when he was originally a free agent? Back then he was at least considered adequate so…..

To clarify, in 2021, the injury to Barnett forced the Eagles to scramble for insurance. They used a roster spot on Janarius Robinson and then when he got hurt in practice traded a 4th for Quinn. Neither player produced much in their time here. At the same time, the defense had gone from allowing 4.0 ypc in 2021 to 4.6 ypc last season. I was refuting the claim that things were "quite fine without him." Our defense in 2022 was certainly capable of getting to the QB, but many people overlook how critical the secondary play was to our sack totals. 

This season, Howie won't be trading a day 2 pick for insurance because he already has it in players like Barnett. Things are much better on the D-Line this year than this time last season when we desperately brought in Suh, Joseph and Quinn, which cost us some draft capital and cap space we could have rolled over into this season.  

Let us know when Barnett is a healthy scratch. Right now he's doing exactly what the Eagles need him to do. 

When you "healthy scratch” yourself, but your apologist still defend you. Geez Calcaterra had more tackles. :thumbdown:

IMG_0873.jpeg

"Essential” but gets only seven snaps. Please stop telling this guy is needed when the Eagles are giving him 10% of the snaps and declining. 

IMG_0875.jpeg

2 hours ago, mattwill said:

Easy, do you have automobile insurance?  Or insurance on your home?

So are you saying you won’t try and get a better insurance, because you already have insurance???

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

So are you saying you won’t try and get a better insurance, because you already have insurance???

No, but I have yet to see anything better that is available on the market.  What market DE insurance do you think is available?

On 10/28/2023 at 9:00 PM, mattwill said:

Sometimes it’s best not to implement plans for translating conceptual passions into action.

So people around here are saying this guy is mediocre to bad, while others claim he’s not as bad as people think which means he’s better than mediocre. So what is the "statistical value” that quantifies Barnett being more than mediocre? 

All that matters is what the Eagles think. If they want to upgrade, they will upgrade. If they don't think they need to, they won't.

• Thanks 1

"Eagles former first-round pick Derek Barnett is a healthy scratch for Sunday’s game against the Cowboys. Barnett is inactive.

That could mean more snaps for rookie first-round pick Nolan Smith. Barnett has been the Eagles’ fourth edge rusher all season but it looks like Smith has passed him. Outside linebacker Patrick Johnson is also active.“

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-inactives-barnett-a-healthy-scratch-against-cowboys/544615/

All that matters is what the Eagles think…. I think it’s very obvious what they think. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

"Eagles former first-round pick Derek Barnett is a healthy scratch for Sunday’s game against the Cowboys. Barnett is inactive.

That could mean more snaps for rookie first-round pick Nolan Smith. Barnett has been the Eagles’ fourth edge rusher all season but it looks like Smith has passed him. Outside linebacker Patrick Johnson is also active.“

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/eagles-inactives-barnett-a-healthy-scratch-against-cowboys/544615/

All that matters is what the Eagles think…. I think it’s very obvious what they think. 

I think it’s pretty clear that Barnett wanted to be traded and complained when it didn’t happen and got scratched for a game. 

I get that he is annoyed. He’s in a contract year and is being relegated to mop up duty. He hasn’t looked good after his injury  but has been okay. He may still have a part to play for an Eagles this year and will be a decent buy low next year for another team. 

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think it’s pretty clear that Barnett wanted to be traded and complained when it didn’t happen and got scratched for a game. 

I get that he is annoyed. He’s in a contract year and is being relegated to mop up duty. He hasn’t looked good after his injury  but has been okay. He may still have a part to play for an Eagles this year and will be a decent buy low next year for another team. 

You think this is about Barnett’s feelings?the best thing that guy could do right now is play well and earn himself some money. This isn’t about his feelings. This is about his production… rather his lack of production. Smith went out there and did just as much as Barnett gave us. BG got more reps and came through. Nobody cares about this guy. He’s not that good. 

8 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I didn't really hear anything about him complaining. So I don't know if that is why. But they deactivated him which means they felt confident he wasn't needed. I'll have to go back and rewatch the game to see how Smith played today. Graham had a great game today, though. 

At least the defense didn't commit any bonehead penalties...

Just now, brkmsn said:

At least the defense didn't commit any bonehead penalties.

Actually they committed several of them especially on that last drive. Lucky for us Dallas made even more stupid mistakes. One thing for sure this guy wasn’t missed at all. 

23 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I didn't really hear anything about him complaining. So I don't know if that is why. But they deactivated him which means they felt confident he wasn't needed. I'll have to go back and rewatch the game to see how Smith played today. Graham had a great game today, though. 

At least the defense didn't commit any bonehead penalties...

Actually think the penalties are one of the reasons he was inactive today. While Barnett hasn't committed anything this year, there was a play after which he appeared hot last week and I was screaming at the TV for him not to do something dumb (ala Byrad today). He controlled himself but then they showed Siri and he wasn't happy.

I also think the plan all year would have been to slowly increase Nolan's snaps as he gets more comfortable. Barnett is the natural place for those snaps to come from and then you activate Johnson for ST. This was always coming but Barnett is still solid insurance. If Sweat is injured he'd get the bulk of run D snaps - coaches wont want to go heavy with Nolan on those just yet.