Derek Barnett

ManchesterEagle

Saw a CSN Philly article recently which suggested Barnett was on the roster bubble. 

I know he’s a bit of a hate figure sometimes  due to not living up to a first rounder and the penalties, but he is a good rotational defensive end and they are not easy to find.

Graham is 35 now. Reddick is an edgy rusher rather than a DE. We all hope Smith can come in and contribute right away, but it may well be he needs a year or two. People say he is a Reddick clone, but Reddick wasn’t effective for 2 years.

We should not be cutting Barnett or trading him for nominal value. He could be important for us this year.

• Like 1

He’s okay and there should be no urgency to get rid of him. But if everyone else stays healthy and the right deal comes along, I’d at least think about it.

• Like 2

I would trade him for the right amount, but despite his hate and terrible penalties at the worst times, I like him as a rotational end. 

• Like 2

Just now, hputenis said:

I would trade him for the right amount, but despite his hate and terrible penalties at the worst times, I like him as a rotational end. 

You just want to rotate in his end Gaylord focker! 

• Haha 3

When healthy, I believe he is worth his current contract. I know he isn't perfect, but he's not the "liability" overreactors tend to make him into. He's a solid player that can start if needed or be a valuable backup in a rotation.

• Like 2

I didn't like him as a starter, he was a 1st round disappointment. 

I was ok with the renewed contract as a backup rotation player. Depth players with starting experience in your system is good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

When healthy, I believe he is worth his current contract. I know he isn't perfect, but he's not the "liability" overreactors tend to make him into. He's a solid player that can start if needed or be a valuable backup in a rotation.

Yeah he’s a capable defensive end who can pressure the QB and is solid against the run. 

Pressure really is key in the NFL as is winning at the line of scrimmage. That’s why we lost the Super Bowl. 

14 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Saw a CSN Philly article recently which suggested Barnett was on the roster bubble. 

I know he’s a bit of a hate figure sometimes  due to not living up to a first rounder and the penalties, but he is a good rotational defensive end and they are not easy to find.

Graham is 35 now. Reddick is an edgy rusher rather than a DE. We all hope Smith can come in and contribute right away, but it may well be he needs a year or two. People say he is a Reddick clone, but Reddick wasn’t effective for 2 years.

We should not be cutting Barnett or trading him for nominal value. He could be important for us this year.

Reddick was playing out of position in AZ, it wasn't until they lost the idea that he was a LB and let him rush the passer that he showed what he could do.  The fault lies with AZ for miscasting him, not with him.  When he's been allowed to rush the passer he's been a double digit sack guy each year.  That doesn't mean Smith will have that same success, just pointing out that Reddick's slow start to his career was due to Cardinals' incompetence, and really had nothing to do with him.

• Thanks 1

Probably will never happen, but I read Pre camp Rumors..about Philadelphia Eagles and       Yannick Ngakoue ???

2 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Probably will never happen, but I read Pre camp Rumors..about Philadelphia Eagles and       Yannick Ngakoue ???

Would be his 5th team in 4 years.  Makes you wonder why the guy is getting passed around like a hot potato.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Would be his 5th team in 4 years.  Makes you wonder why the guy is getting passed around like a hot potato.

If we can handle Carter,...We could take a shot at Yannick. His production is great and he is only 28.

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

If we can handle Carter,...We could take a shot at Yannick. His production is great and he is only 28.

Makes you wonder even more, if his production is so great... why can't he stick with a team.

And, it has yet to be determined if the team can handle Carter.  And, the more players you bring in that require 'handling', the less players you have to 'handle' them.  I'm not against bringing in Yannick, but his recent movements from team to team raises an eyebrow.  Something has to be going on behind the scenes.  Players with his production don't move around that much without something going on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Makes you wonder even more, if his production is so great... why can't he stick with a team.

And, it has yet to be determined if the team can handle Carter.  And, the more players you bring in that require 'handling', the less players you have to 'handle' them.  I'm not against bringing in Yannick, but his recent movements from team to team raises an eyebrow.  Something has to be going on behind the scenes.  Players with his production don't move around that much without something going on.

Exactly.  Make you think he is a locker room headache or doesn't take well to coaching or something along those lines.  

18 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Reddick is an edgy rusher rather than a DE.

This made me smile.

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

What about Brandin Cooks? I'm not going to pretend I follow every rumor about every player, but Cooks has been a steady, productive receiver and is going to his 6th team at 29 years old and I don't recall hearing negative stories about him. I think, sometimes, a player is intriguing to teams that have a need and so he ends up playing for many teams over the course of his career, due to contract situations. I think we're probably going to see more and more of these types of "journeyman" players in the future.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

What about Brandin Cooks? I'm not going to pretend I follow every rumor about every player, but Cooks has been a steady, productive receiver and is going to his 6th team at 29 years old and I don't recall hearing negative stories about him. I think, sometimes, a player is intriguing to teams that have a need and so he ends up playing for many teams over the course of his career, due to contract situations. I think we're probably going to see more and more of these types of "journeyman" players in the future.

Could be.   But, for me, talent is fairly limited, so teams that don't want to bring a guy back that they had in the building and produced for them, it makes you wonder.  For example, look at the CJGJ situation with the Eagles.  Clearly, there was something about him that the Eagles didn't want to bring him back.  He was very affordable, but the Eagles, despite his stellar season on the field and their obvious need for that position, chose NOT to bring him back.  And, the aftermath of that is him ripping the Eagles, just like he came in here and started ripping the Saints, who also chose not to give him the extension he wanted while he was there.  It just makes you wonder.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I know he’s a bit of a hate figure sometimes

Regardless of however the rest of his career goes, his role in 2017 and a few of the things that he was key in, make it impossible for me to ever 'hate' him as a player. I may be disappointed in how things went/go after 2017, but hate? Nope. Not me. 

• Like 1

Derek Barnett hasn’t played up to his first round draft pick value. He knows that, we know that, everyone knows it. He missed all of last year due to injury. He’s on the 2nd year of a 2-year contract. He’s too good to get cut, and not produced enough for a team to offer compensation high enough to justify trading him away. 

Hopefully, he sees his opportunity, coming off injury and in a contract year, on a defense that historically rotates people through, that he’s got a chance to show out. 

Hopefully, he’s a hungry dog this year and runs just a little faster…

• Like 2

I like Barnett. He's a small, slow, injury prone hothead, but he's also tough as hell and a solid player. I worry if he makes the team they give him too many snaps at the expense of Nolan Smith.

2 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

Derek Barnett hasn’t played up to his first round draft pick value. He knows that, we know that, everyone knows it. He missed all of last year due to injury. He’s on the 2nd year of a 2-year contract. He’s too good to get cut, and not produced enough for a team to offer compensation high enough to justify trading him away. 

Hopefully, he sees his opportunity, coming off injury and in a contract year, on a defense that historically rotates people through, that he’s got a chance to show out. 

Hopefully, he’s a hungry dog this year and runs just a little faster…

As long as he stays on sides.

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Could be.   But, for me, talent is fairly limited, so teams that don't want to bring a guy back that they had in the building and produced for them, it makes you wonder.  For example, look at the CJGJ situation with the Eagles.  Clearly, there was something about him that the Eagles didn't want to bring him back.  He was very affordable, but the Eagles, despite his stellar season on the field and their obvious need for that position, chose NOT to bring him back.  And, the aftermath of that is him ripping the Eagles, just like he came in here and started ripping the Saints, who also chose not to give him the extension he wanted while he was there.  It just makes you wonder.

The thing is (with CJGJ) the Eagles wanted to bring him back. They offered him a deal similar to what he ended up signing for. It's just that teams view him as a versatile slot CB / safety and he wants to be paid like a bona fide safety. With the Eagles, it only had to do with the price. They knew what his personality was like and they were hoping to keep him here. I think he's a really good player with exciting, playmaking ability. But he clearly feels the need to create a chip on his shoulder for personal motivation. I prefer guys that are motivated first and foremost to win. I couldn't care less about who they feel wronged them in some way and their crusade to "prove those people wrong." If you need these petty "chips" for motivation, you are immature. That's just who CJGJ is and the team. There are tons of people just like that in the NFL, in sports, and even on the Eagles currently. In arguments here on the EMB, I defend Quez Watkins a bit because of my own personal opinions on him as a player --- but he also demonstrated that immaturity when fan comments on social media got the best of him. He doesn't have to "make (people) eat every f'n word!" --- he needs to work on getting better and being more consistent. Immaturity isn't a big surprise. I think teams are more concerned about guys that cause problems within the team, have baggage that might make them unavailable, or don't work hard off the field. I don't think CJGJ had any of those problem issues. He does, however, appear to be the type of player I alluded to in that he'll be on his 3rd team in less than 2 years and may play for a few more before he's 30 years old. Teams like him for how they use him, but just can't pay him what he wants to be paid.

If you get a good offer for him then take it but otherwise absolutely keep him as the 5th DE on the roster. He’s not a terrible player he just makes bone headed mistakes and doesn’t make enough big plays to make up for it.

He should be on the bubble and not considered a lock.

He could be fine as a rotational end but he might have also lost a step post injury. It all depends on how he looks at TC, as compared to Tarron Jackson, Janarius Robinson and Patrick Johnson. There are probably 2 spots for that group. Barnett is the most proven so he should be considered the favourite but no guarantees of a spot.

3 hours ago, kiwieagle said:

He should be on the bubble and not considered a lock.

He could be fine as a rotational end but he might have also lost a step post injury. It all depends on how he looks at TC, as compared to Tarron Jackson, Janarius Robinson and Patrick Johnson. There are probably 2 spots for that group. Barnett is the most proven so he should be considered the favourite but no guarantees of a spot.

So you are suggesting that the Eagles will pay Barnett $10 million to play for someone else rather than $3 million to play for them? 

26 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

So you are suggesting that the Eagles will pay Barnett $10 million to play for someone else rather than $3 million to play for them? 

Few things on this:

1. I don't think its very likely at all. Unless his play post injury dictates he is not a better player than those other guys. His contract wont be a reason they keep him around as he is already in the last year of his deal

2. You are quoting cap numbers not real dollars. Most of that $10m that you mention is a bonus which he has already been paid but for cap purposes and cap purposes only is spread over multiple years by adding void years to his contract. Cutting him doesn't mean they are paying more real cash to him. But if they cut him, then yes they accelerate ~7m into this years cap hit but the exact same amount comes off dead cap in 2024 and 2025 caps which increases cap space in those years. To take this further, you could achieve a relatively net neutral outcome if needed, by taking someone with a high salary this year who they intend to keep for multiple years and converting a portion this years salary to a bonus to lower cap hit this year and spread it over the next few years using the room Barnett's projected dead cap is currently occupying, The issue for us would be that Howie has already done this move so many times, I am not sure if there is any logical candidate left to do this move with 

3. The cap hits you mentioned I think were on a pre Jun-1 basis, not post Jun-1. Post Jun-1 cut i think is pretty neutral for 2023 salary cap. Costs the same to keep him or cut him.