Derek Barnett

ManchesterEagle

17 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He's just an example of how irrational the Philly media gets and how they manage to influence the fans with false narratives. It's true he wasn't being asked to play much while he was here, but one can sure make a sound argument that we haven't rested our pass rushers enough through the season. He switched teams, has seen his snap count steadily increase, is being moved to the left and right side and has been a great addition for the Texans. Meanwhile in the last 4 games, he's been more productive than any player on our D-Line. We have to keep in mind that Barnett has fresh legs after hardly being used all year and that our guys aren't getting enough rest and are compounding the problem by failing to make plays to get off the field on defense. 

Last 4 games:

Barnett --- 2.5 sacks, 16 tackles, 7 TFL, 10 QB hits, 1 PD

Sweat ----- 0 sacks, 11 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 QB hits, 0 PD

Reddick --- 2 sacks, 8 tackles, 3 TFL, 6 QB hits, 0 PD

N. Smith --- 0 sacks, 8 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 QB hits, 0 PD

J. Carter --- 2 sacks, 4 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 QB hits, 0 PD

F. Cox ------ 2 sacks, 12 tackles, 1 TFL, 3 QB hits, 1 PD

Williams --- 0 sacks, 13 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit, 1 PD

J. Davis ---- 0 sacks, 10 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 QB hits, 0 PD

... But Barnett was "hot garbage" and "a bum" by folks around here that get their opinions from BGN and their weekly "5 players that must go" articles. Heaven forbid we have little used backups to turn to to get our best players more rest in a long season. They must be so proud that he's gone ...

Yes - we were ridiculed for saying that he was a good rotational DE and they are hard to come by. Sadly the Eagles played to that narrative by hugely under utilising him and by doing that they have overused Reddick, Sweat and Carter to the point that our pass rush is now tired and non-existent.

As you say it’s mostly media such as BGN. They never take ownership of their BS either. Noticeably quiet on how well Barnett has been doing 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

He's just an example of how irrational the Philly media gets and how they manage to influence the fans with false narratives. It's true he wasn't being asked to play much while he was here, but one can sure make a sound argument that we haven't rested our pass rushers enough through the season. He switched teams, has seen his snap count steadily increase, is being moved to the left and right side and has been a great addition for the Texans. Meanwhile in the last 4 games, he's been more productive than any player on our D-Line. We have to keep in mind that Barnett has fresh legs after hardly being used all year and that our guys aren't getting enough rest and are compounding the problem by failing to make plays to get off the field on defense. 

Last 4 games:

Barnett --- 2.5 sacks, 16 tackles, 7 TFL, 10 QB hits, 1 PD

Sweat ----- 0 sacks, 11 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 QB hits, 0 PD

Reddick --- 2 sacks, 8 tackles, 3 TFL, 6 QB hits, 0 PD

N. Smith --- 0 sacks, 8 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 QB hits, 0 PD

J. Carter --- 2 sacks, 4 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 QB hits, 0 PD

F. Cox ------ 2 sacks, 12 tackles, 1 TFL, 3 QB hits, 1 PD

Williams --- 0 sacks, 13 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 QB hit, 1 PD

J. Davis ---- 0 sacks, 10 tackles, 0 TFL, 0 QB hits, 0 PD

... But Barnett was "hot garbage" and "a bum" by folks around here that get their opinions from BGN and their weekly "5 players that must go" articles. Heaven forbid we have little used backups to turn to to get our best players more rest in a long season. They must be so proud that he's gone ...

Big mistake cutting Barnett. Almost incomprehensible.

15 minutes ago, Erie said:

I was under the impression that Barnett forced his way out of here. He was a healthy scratch the week before he left. I presumed he was pissed over playing time and began to make himself a nuisance. Yes, we could have used him for depth had he been willing.

Yes perhaps, although they gave him a nice send off message to suggest he didn’t play up to much.

The big mistake was not using Barnett more at the start of the season. He wasn’t that good for the Eagles this year but it’s pretty clear now that was a mental issue rather than a physical one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erie said:

I was under the impression that Barnett forced his way out of here. He was a healthy scratch the week before he left. I presumed he was pissed over playing time and began to make himself a nuisance. Yes, we could have used him for depth had he been willing.

We know he asked to be traded and was allowed to seek trades. I'm pretty certain the reason was the heavily reduced snaps. We know he was excused from practice and inactive about a week and a half before his release. But the allegations he was a nuisance are pure conjecture. If the Eagles had agreed to release him, they may have wanted to keep him from risking an injury in his final week, and far all we know, they could have been timing his release to help a certain non-divisional team from another conference (that showed some interest in him while he was on the trading block) facilitate a waiver claim. (also admittedly conjecture)

One other thing that isn't conjecture is that the Eagles restructured his contract before the release. That's probably the only reason it took a bit longer to release him after the first inactive game. 

You're right. It is conjecture on my part. 

Live in Houston surrounded by Texans fans and they are over the moon with Barnett. 10 QB hits and 2.5 sacks as a backup rotational player is pretty good. We always get screwed. Lol

It made no sense to not keep him as a rotational guy which was the intent since his last contract.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

It made no sense to not keep him as a rotational guy which was the intent since his last contract.  

Guess he made enough of a stink that they had to let him go? Just odd when not replacing him. The rotation was already jacked because of the 5 DL look they have to run more than normal due to the LB garbage. Then you get rid of two DL without replacing them? smh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, judunno said:

Guess he made enough of a stink that they had to let him go? Just odd when not replacing him. The rotation was already jacked because of the 5 DL look they have to run more than normal due to the LB garbage. Then you get rid of two DL without replacing them? smh

I think they liked what they were seeing from Ojomo in practice when they made the decision to move Street. I feel Ojomo has been a quality player when given snaps. With Barnett, I think they just wanted to find a way to get Smith more playing time. At the time of Barnett's release, we hadn't yet had any injury issues at DE, so I'm guessing they were comfortable with getting rid of a little used insurance policy. I think what we're finding out is that Barnett wasn't getting enough snaps. 

There's no way Barnett would have re-signed with us after the season and as much respect I have for his value as a solid DE, I'm just as confident in Graham to produce if given enough snaps. This is likely Graham's last season and I expect he'll give his all  in each remaining game. If last season was any indication, once the playoffs get here, I expect the team to lean heavily on the vets when it comes to snap counts. 

Assuming we have Slay back, that probably means less Ringo and more Bradberry --- and that probably isn't going to thrill fans. 

15 hours ago, NOTW said:

12 hours ago, judunno said:

This is on Desai for me. Barnett is a good defensive end who would start for a lot of teams. He’s not a superstar and has not lived up to his first round status but he’s good.

Now some of this is conjecture, but it seems pretty obvious. It appears that Barnett was told in pre-season that his role would be marginalised and he would not play much. He therefore asked for a trade. The Eagles didn’t get any offers they liked so passed. They wanted him as insurance to avoid another Robert Quinn situation this year.

As the season went on Barnett was only playing 20% of snaps. He didn’t do much wrong but hardly stood out. It’s clear he was down and wanted to play more. He expressed extreme frustration and asked to be traded/released. The Eagles again looked for a trade but I suspect teams thought he may be done given the lack of snaps/production. So Eagles cut him. 

What the Eagles should have done is used him properly as part of a rotation, playing 40/50% of snaps. That way they would have got a motivated Barnett and been able to keep Sweat, Reddick and the DTs fresher. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, manz2821 said:

Live in Houston surrounded by Texans fans and they are over the moon with Barnett. 10 QB hits and 2.5 sacks as a backup rotational player is pretty good. We always get screwed. Lol

We always screw ourselves is a better way to phrase it...and it's rarely with lube.  

• Haha 1