Jonathan Taylor RB Colts

Godfather

The Colts want a high pick (good luck to them with that) and he wants a market setting new deal. It's like both sides of the argument haven't paid any attention to the Running Back market the last 2 years.

Irsay is a tool but he's said since they appointed Steichen that no offensive players get extensions before Steichen sees how they fit his offense, so after hearing that Taylor threatens to hold out, at this rate he'll end up pulling a LeVeon Bell, only without the big guaranteed contract as his career sinks beneath the waves.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:48 AM, Godfather said:

I had to 😎

No you didn't.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

No you didn't.

I did

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if you could figure out the money part, we do have an extra 2nd and some extra mid and late round picks this year. 

On 8/1/2023 at 7:18 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The Colts want a high pick (good luck to them with that) and he wants a market setting new deal. It's like both sides of the argument haven't paid any attention to the Running Back market the last 2 years.

Irsay is a tool but he's said since they appointed Steichen that no offensive players get extensions before Steichen sees how they fit his offense, so after hearing that Taylor threatens to hold out, at this rate he'll end up pulling a LeVeon Bell, only without the big guaranteed contract as his career sinks beneath the waves.

Irsay put the high price tag knowing no one would offer it. He made it very clear they were not trading Taylor.

They gave Taylor the chance to seek trade options with that asking price just to shut him up.

On 8/1/2023 at 7:18 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Taylor should take the money but don't play injured and don't take any big hits, he has to forget about the team since the owner has forgotten about him

The RB position has been devalued but Colts want high picks for Taylor, the RBs need to do all they can to correct the foolish RB market, a good RB helps QBs, OLs, WRs, and defenses by keeping them off the field. 

4 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Irsay put the high price tag knowing no one would offer it. He made it very clear they were not trading Taylor.

They gave Taylor the chance to seek trade options with that asking price just to shut him up.

I agree with this.

I also don’t think Howie would give up the draft capital required for an un happy player at any position… Howie would be looking for a deal since the player is publicly unhappy.

I also don’t think Howie would pony up the money to make Taylor happy with a contract extension.

All that being said… would you trade Swift OR Penny and one of our 2nds next year for Taylor?

I would.

Penny and a second feels steep for a guy who is unhappy and an owner who doesn’t want him. I get the point but I think Penny and a third (as it would be a late third we’d hope).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, eggs said:

Well, if you could figure out the money part, we do have an extra 2nd and some extra mid and late round picks this year. 

A 2nd for a RB ... in the last year of his rookie deal?!?!  You're nuts.  

4 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I agree with this.

I also don’t think Howie would give up the draft capital required for an un happy player at any position… Howie would be looking for a deal since the player is publicly unhappy.

I also don’t think Howie would pony up the money to make Taylor happy with a contract extension.

All that being said… would you trade Swift OR Penny and one of our 2nds next year for Taylor?

I would.

I wouldn't. That's silly.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

A 2nd for a RB ... in the last year of his rookie deal?!?!  You're nuts.  

It might be high but it could also help us win a SB this year with him and Swift in the backfield, and if we could get Taylor without an extension, we’d at least get an end of the third round comp pick if we can’t sign him long term and someone else does. That said, it’s probably a moot point as Howie won’t do it.

We should at least throw a lowball 3rd rounder and one our many 5th round rounders in and see what happens.  

1 minute ago, eggs said:

It might be high but it could also help us win a SB this year with him and Swift in the backfield, and if we could get Taylor without an extension, we’d at least get an end of the third round comp pick if we can’t sign him long term and someone else does. That said, it’s probably a moot point as Howie won’t do it.

We should at least throw a lowball 3rd rounder and one our many 5th round rounders in and see what happens.  

Taylor wants an extension. No way in hell he's going to search for a team and not get one.

I’d probably offer Taylor a 2 year extension for 20m guaranteed. We’d have him for 3 years- $23-24 million total package due to this year him only costing 3-4m. With some performance and superbowl appearance bonuses in there for incentive that could take him to $28-30 million total over 3 years. That would make the numbers around 2 years $26 million. 3rd in the league behind McCaffery and Kamara, he’d be 27 at the end of it with the opportunity for one more decent deal for his career.

If the colts would take Penny, a 3rd and a 5th and Taylor accepted the offer above… we’re strong superbowl favorites for the next 3 years…

EDIT: Taylor’s base salary for ‘23 is $4.3m.

Another note, Sirianni was the OC in Indy for Taylor’s rookie year, so I’m sure he’s got an informed opinion on him.

5 hours ago, judunno said:

Taylor wants an extension. No way in hell he's going to search for a team and not get one.

You’re almost certainly right, but if he has any sense, the opportunity to run behind our OL and potentially win a SB could set him up for the rest of his career. 

3 minutes ago, eggs said:

You’re almost certainly right, but if he has any sense, the opportunity to run behind our OL and potentially win a SB could set him up for the rest of his career. 

Offer them a 3rd or possibly the lower of 2nd round picks which will be low plus gainwell (who is a slightly below average back who looks good because of our OL) and we have Taylor and Swift to take the pressure off Jalen to run and we can win a SB and either work out a deal or get 3rd round comp pick if he signs somewhere else.

At least we’ve tried. 

1 hour ago, eggs said:

Offer them a 3rd or possibly the lower of 2nd round picks which will be low plus gainwell (who is a slightly below average back who looks good because of our OL) and we have Taylor and Swift to take the pressure off Jalen to run and we can win a SB and either work out a deal or get 3rd round comp pick if he signs somewhere else.

At least we’ve tried. 

Intentional?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, MidMoFo said:

I agree with this.

I would.

Nope, best I'd offer would be Gainwell and a late pick or just a 4th or 5th straight up. 

No one wants Penny FYI. 

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

Nope, best I'd offer would be Gainwell and a late pick or just a 4th or 5th straight up. 

No one wants Penny FYI. 

That would be a steal, IMO… which is even better.

No one wants to pay the often injured Penny a lot of money. There’s a difference. He’s been great when healthy, that just hasn’t been enough.

The Eagles signed Penny back in March when the colts thought they were set at running back, that’s changed for them and now a team can take advantage of that.

Also, if we’re getting JT, I think the front office would rather hang on to Gainwell and Scott than Swift or Penny, because they’ve been here.

1 hour ago, MidMoFo said:

That would be a steal, IMO… which is even better.

No one wants to pay the often injured Penny a lot of money. There’s a difference. He’s been great when healthy, that just hasn’t been enough.

The Eagles signed Penny back in March when the colts thought they were set at running back, that’s changed for them and now a team can take advantage of that.

Also, if we’re getting JT, I think the front office would rather hang on to Gainwell and Scott than Swift or Penny, because they’ve been here.

Colts would have Gainwell over Swift which why it's only a late pick with him. Has 2 yrs left on deal which is more inviting for a rebuild team. 

Personally I'd rather have Swift and JT over Gainwell for a SB run. 

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

Howie has made it pretty clear that he's not paying big money to a RB

It's like the pipe dream is causing folks to ignore the fact that he wants out of Indy because he wants to get paid. Amazing and not going to happen lol. The Eagles have one of the best RB rooms in the league and on the cheap. We're fine there.

• Like 1