The Brotherly Shove, Eagles QB sneak

NOTW

1 hour ago, Broncos72 said:

You're not adding any informative information there.

The Department of Redundancy Department called...

At least you made a decisive decision when you decided to post that.

• Haha 3

On 10/5/2023 at 6:22 PM, brkmsn said:

The Department of Redundancy Department called...

At least you made a decisive decision when you decided to post that.

Thank you! My decisions are always decisive, not impulsive and never not thought out.

And considering who I was talking to at the time, it felt necessary to really hammer home the point. After all, repetition is a good way to help someone learn.

• Confused 1

Panthers I think it was just switched QB, bringing in Andy Dalton for a QB sneak. Brotherly Shove ripples being felt around the league

It is unstoppable…. For the Eagles anyway. The Giants put linemen back there and it failed completely. 

• Like 2

I hope they send all of the tape to the league after every week. Keep a record of all the times the refs didn't call a blatant offsides

• Like 2

The greatest play in the history of the NFL is the Philly Special. 

#2 on that list is The Brotherly Shove. 

• Like 1

Must be so frustrating for other teams. knowing exactly whats coming up but just not being able to stop it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

Must be so frustrating for other teams. knowing exactly whats coming up but just not being able to stop it.

The only ones complaining about the Brotherly Shove are the ones taking the push in their tush.;)

• Haha 2

Hurts press conference.  Reporter asked about the "tush push, Brotherly Shove, whatever you call it..."  

Hurts: I don't call it that.

Reporter:  What do you call it?

Hurts smirking:  Not that.

:lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

The only ones complaining about the Brotherly Shove are the ones taking the push in their tush.;)

Siri and Hurts in their press conferences both noted that other teams don't seem to be able to do it with the same success.  Siri kept saying "the play nobody wants us to run" and said teams should focus on trying to stop it.  

• Like 3

Anyone remember when the Eagles tried to do that play with Minshew and failed? It’s more to it that just running it. It’s also about who is running it. 

• Like 3

Last year there was a play or two where they lined up for it, then tossed to the RB who ran for an easy first down.  I would like to see them sprinkle in some of those type of plays, or a quick throw to a receiver or something different.  Since they are so successful even when teams know they're doing it, it's not necessary most of the time.  But I think in a couple strategic moments in the season it would be fun to see. Maybe doing that a couple times would also add another thing the defense has to be concerned about.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Last year there was a play or two where they lined up for it, then tossed to the RB who ran for an easy first down.  I would like to see them sprinkle in some of those type of plays, or a quick throw to a receiver or something different.  Since they are so successful even when teams know they're doing it, it's not necessary most of the time.  But I think in a couple strategic moments in the season it would be fun to see. Maybe doing that a couple times would also add another thing the defense has to be concerned about.

They ran a couple of different plays out of it this year. They had Jalen take it and run it to the outside and I think they threw out of it this year as well 

• Like 1

ESPN did a little video on the history of the QB sneak.  In it they show Josh Allen, Dak Prescott and others having a player shove them from behind to push them forward.  No one has ever complained when other teams do it.  

I didn't realize it was illegal to aide the QB before a 2005 rule change.

ESPN also made graphics and used science to analyze it :lol:

ESPN graphic.PNG

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

I didn't realize it was illegal to aide the QB before a 2005 rule change.

The rule wasn't just for QBs, it was any ballcarrier. It's funny how Sean Payton hates it when we do it, but he sure loved this:

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/top-superdome-plays-deuce-runs-through-eagles-5132716

... and unlike that play, we're doing it legally (not pulling the guy forward).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The rule wasn't just for QBs, it was any ballcarrier. It's funny how Sean Payton hates it when we do it, but he sure loved this:

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/video/top-superdome-plays-deuce-runs-through-eagles-5132716

... and unlike that play, we're doing it legally (not pulling the guy forward).

I find it so amusing that the rest of the league hate it. I mean they make out like what we are doing is illegal and they can’t try the same play. They can try it they just wouldn’t succeed at it. 

Let’s make running the ball illegal for SF then. And passing the ball illegal for Mahomes.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I find it so amusing that the rest of the league hate it. I mean they make out like what we are doing is illegal and they can’t try the same play. They can try it they just wouldn’t succeed at it. 

Let’s make running the ball illegal for SF then. And passing the ball illegal for Mahomes.

My biggest argument is that if you are going to complain when a team pushes the runner and/or pile from behind on a QB sneak, you'll have to enforce it on all running plays as well. You can't just make a certain play illegal. You have to define a rule that would make an element illegal. So if they want to open that great big can of worms in an attempt to "ban" a play that one team does better than anyone else, it will end up affecting all runs like this:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

My biggest argument is that if you are going to complain when a team pushes the runner and/or pile from behind on a QB sneak, you'll have to enforce it on all running plays as well. You can't just make a certain play illegal. You have to define a rule that would make an element illegal. So if they want to open that great big can of worms in an attempt to "ban" a play that one team does better than anyone else, it will end up affecting all runs like this:

Yeah you know what you are absolutely right there! Absolutely right. I think they’ll find a way to ban it but yeah you are right that’s a really tough one.

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They keep finding new arguments against it.  Injury danger (we're not getting injured from it).  It's just not real football, it's rugby!  Mailata the rugby player and rugby coaches have said it's not a rugby scrum. 

They don't like that it's not a "football" play, yet they celebrate when a QB like Mahomes does anything unique or different.  They compare it to basketball plays.  The Chiefs dance around in circles in the huddle and do strange formations, they celebrate them for creativity.  It's legal to have lineman line up for special plays as receivers.  There are all sorts of trick plays.

In the early days of the NFL they only ran the ball.  The forward pass was introduced and it was actually controversial.  Many people thought it wasn't "real football."

Again, they didn't mind when Brady did it.  That video I posted above shows lots of other teams doing it.  They just hate it because it's Philly, and they're so good at it.

• Like 2

I love Sirianni as a coach, let´s get that over with. But, this is worth watching. He was asked about the QB Sneak / Brotherly Shove in his post game presser on Sunday. Jump to 7:50 in this interview for the segment. He gets it. He absolutely gets it. This clip says so much about his philosophy and mindset, and that of the team. It´s excellent. 

Press Conference: Nick Sirianni | October 8, 2023 (philadelphiaeagles.com)

It's crazy how much he's grown as a speaker since that first press conference.

• Like 1