The Brotherly Shove, Eagles QB sneak

NOTW

11 hours ago, NOTW said:

posted above shows lots of other teams doing it.  They just hate it because it's Philly, and they're so good at it.

And that my friend is it in a nutshell!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that my friend is it in a nutshell!

And because despite 31 teams defensive staffs, they can’t find a way to stop it. That’s not the eagles fault.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, NOTW said:

FB_IMG_1695925254140.jpg

FB_IMG_1695996342430.jpg

Who ever wrote this is a dope. The definition of "Infamy" is akin to disgrace. IE they're asking for a nickname that will live on in disgrace. FDR believed the attack on Pearl Harbor was a disgraceful act -- or maybe he thought the US was disgraced by getting caught with her skirt down. Either way it was not meant to suggest it should live on fondly forever. I get that is the intention ... but words matter. Right now the Eagles are giving a master class in the QB sneak and their endeavor deserves a unique name. We want fame, we want legend, we want mythos. Not infamy or notoriety. 

19 minutes ago, Nivraga said:

Who ever wrote this is a dope. The definition of "Infamy" is akin to disgrace. IE they're asking for a nickname that will live on in disgrace. FDR believed the attack on Pearl Harbor was a disgraceful act -- or maybe he thought the US was disgraced by getting caught with her skirt down. Either way it was not meant to suggest it should live on fondly forever. I get that is the intention ... but words matter. Right now the Eagles are giving a master class in the QB sneak and their endeavor deserves a unique name. We want fame, we want legend, we want mythos. Not infamy or notoriety. 

You are correct.  Infamy is from the root - infamous.  The "Brotherly Shove" is FAMOUS, not IMFAMOUS, although, if you were to ask some of the NFL whiners, maybe it is infamous in their eyes.    But, the play does deserve a very good moniker.  It is being talked about so much, the name needs to be iconic... on the level of the Lambeau Leap.    Brotherly Shove and Tush Push don't do it for me.    Maybe something like what Kelce said the other day before they ran it.   I saw the video of the one before halftime against the Rams.  He said, "You know what's coming."    That works for me.  :lol: Or maybe they could call it, "Try to stop it".   Or my personal favorite, since other teams in the league can't seem to master it, "You Can't Do This!"  Or, "You Can't Stop This!"

Brotherly shove and tush push sound like freaky naughty acts, but I do think the former sounds cooler.  

1 hour ago, Nivraga said:

Yes they misused a word.  This response was not in any way unhinged or over the top, good job.

• Like 1

Siriani says that they are making progress with this play, which I guess means they are getting more and more yardage per attempt.  The League is watching for us to break the 3-yard barrier which itself means we can theoretically make a first down EVERY series and score every possession drive.  Think of the "Time of Possession" stat and the fact that  AJ, Smith, Goedert, and Swift will definitely not approve. 😁

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

The league will ban it for 2024 and beyond.

I'd like to see them try to define the element that would become the rules violation. Once they do it will affect a lot of other normal plays and change football as we know it. 

The likely target would be pushing from behind. That happens to ballcarriers all game long when a defender wraps up but can't finish a tackle. 

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I'd like to see them try to define the element that would become the rules violation. Once they do it will affect a lot of other normal plays and change football as we know it. 

The likely target would be pushing from behind. That happens to ballcarriers all game long when a defender wraps up but can't finish a tackle. 

They're talking about 'safety' and injuries, which I think is bogus. Until last season (I think), I didn't even know that the rule on pushing a player had been changed (many years ago). I thought it was illegal all along. So I could envision them trying to go back to that rule. 

20 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

They're talking about 'safety' and injuries, which I think is bogus. Until last season (I think), I didn't even know that the rule on pushing a player had been changed (many years ago). I thought it was illegal all along. So I could envision them trying to go back to that rule. 

Who is getting hurt?  The argument that always comes up is "looks."

If it is legitimately about safety, then let's just call it a "gimme" and move the chains when we get close. 

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Who is getting hurt?  The argument that always comes up is "looks."

If it is legitimately about safety, then let's just call it a "gimme" and move the chains when we get close. 

What I heard the 'talking heads' mention was a couple of Gnats that got hurt, and maybe a Buc? 

6 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

What I heard the 'talking heads' mention was a couple of Gnats that got hurt, and maybe a Buc? 

... and they got hurt because there are two people behind the QB looking to push the QB or pile? I've been seeing defenses send a guy flying over the top. Maybe that's where they should begin their safety investigation.

9 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Kelce talked about it on the New Heights podcast, I'll see if I can grab the clip.  He said that they've never had injuries, other teams have done it but he guesses that the league will absolutely try to ban it.  He also predicts that teams will start faking injuries on the defensive side to help make the league ban it, just like players fake injuries to slow down a team trying to run no huddle.  He said enjoy it this year while you can.

They should start practicing and preparing for a traditional QB sneak without a player pushing Hurts.  Start doing that and see if they still convert the first downs.  It would prove they don't need the "push" part and the O line and QB are just that good.

In fact what makes the play work are Kelce getting so low and Hurts being so strong.  It's not so much the push part anyway.  Hurts leg strength is a huge factor.   The Eagles aren't going to have the same success with Mariota or another QB.

The Chiefs just ran a version of it and it failed dismally 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mat said:

The Chiefs just ran a version of it and it failed dismally 

If Mahomes succeeded with it, they'd celebrate it, rename it after him and create a trophy for it with his face on it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NOTW said:

If Mahomes succeeded with it, they'd celebrate it, rename it after him and create a trophy for it with his face on it.

Same way they did with Brady and the sneak 

The Chiefs version was just weird, they faked a FG then had Noah Gray take the snap under center with two guys shoving him trying to pick up 2 yards. 

Honestly with all these teams trying and failing I don’t know if that is better or worse for the chances of the NFL banning it.

On 10/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, NOTW said:

They should start practicing and preparing for a traditional QB sneak without a player pushing Hurts.  Start doing that and see if they still convert the first downs.  It would prove they don't need the "push" part and the O line and QB are just that good.

In fact what makes the play work are Kelce getting so low and Hurts being so strong.  It's not so much the push part anyway.  Hurts leg strength is a huge factor.   The Eagles aren't going to have the same success with Mariota or another QB.

I agree the biggest factor why this works so well for the Eagles is because the O-Line is winning the LOS and pushing forward, while Hurts is so strong in his legs. It is too difficult for the defense to stop 92% of the time.

My theory based on nothing is the "push" isn't really a push at all. Because sometimes you can see they aren't really pushing. I think the guys in the backfield are directing Hurts which way the pile is falling. Because Hurts is running so low on the play, he can't see the bodies going down in front of him. He needs somebody who is looking over the pile to direct him which way to go.