Zach Ertz released by Cardinals (Cleared Waivers)

psychodog

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I actually think Ertz would be a good fit in our offense, even with Goedert as the TE1. Ertz was never a mauler as a blocker, but he was better than some are giving him credit for. He would be an instant upgrade over Stoll in two TE sets and defenses would actually have to respect his receiving threat. Ertz is great at running routes and getting open and is very good at finding a spot when the QB is scrambling. 

Obviously, he'd have to clear waivers and without restructuring a bunch of contracts, we simply don't have a lot of cap space to work with this year. It sounds like there may be an offer on the table already for Leonard with our remaining space. If Ertz cleared waivers and wanted a reunion at the vet minimum, it could really help this team during the final stretch. 

Ertz was good at those things you mention a few years ago 

I dont think hed be much of an upgrade over stoll.

Stoll is a better blocker at this point and isnt such a better receiver anymore that it makes up for his lack of blocking.

Not sure how he would fit on the current team.

I mean Albert O is supposed to be a good receiver but BJ hasnt figured out how to use him at all 🤷‍♂️

I just dont think Ertz really fits at this time

Loved him when he was here but I think he is cooked. Goedert probably won"t play this week but he is close enough that I would pass.

3 minutes ago, mr_irie1 said:

Loved him when he was here but I think he is cooked. Goedert probably won"t play this week but he is close enough that I would pass.

I get the he’s cooked feeling, but how are any of the Eagles alternatives better as a backup? Him and Goedert could compliment one another nicely. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Stoll is a better blocker at this point and isnt such a better receiver anymore that it makes up for his lack of blocking.

I mean Albert O is supposed to be a good receiver but BJ hasnt figured out how to use him at all 🤷‍♂️

Jack Stoll has 4 receptions in eleven games and seven starts.

Grant C has zero receptions in nine games and one start.

Ertz has 27 receptions and a touchdown in seven starts. 
Stoll and Grant C combined aren’t even close to the receiver Ertz is even now. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I get the he’s cooked feeling, but how are any of the Eagles alternatives better as a backup? Him and Goedert could compliment one another nicely. 

He definitely still has those soft hands so maybe he can sit in a zone and move the chains still if he can still run after the injury. I'm pretty sure that Stoll is a better blocker but Ertz might give us more than Julio currently is. I wouldn't hate the move if he comes here for nothing. Don't think we need him but I'm not really moved either way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mr_irie1 said:

Ertz is better backup than anyone else we have behind Goedert. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Albert O wasn't even going to make Denver's final roster. He's an intriguing "prospect"  blessed with good physical traits and that's about it. Ertz is a seasoned, experienced vet that has had a lot of success. 

If we were able to bring Ertz back, Stoll would just be TE3 and I'd move Calcaterra to IR. I really don't care about Albert at this time if for some reason he was the odd man out. 

Yeah Ertz isn't near what he was, but the idea he's not a better TE 2 than anyone we have right now is a huge stretch.

That said it depends what he wants, on an old friends discount vet minimum, yes. Anything above that, I'd probably pass given the Linebacker shaped hole we have.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mr_irie1 said:

He definitely still has those soft hands so maybe he can sit in a zone and move the chains still if he can still run after the injury. I'm pretty sure that Stoll is a better blocker but Ertz might give us more than Julio currently is. I wouldn't hate the move if he comes here for nothing. Don't think we need him but I'm not really moved either way. 

I don’t think most of the guys available right now are commanding huge salaries. Ertz wanted his release for a chance to play for a contender. He would be fooling himself if he thinks there’s a big payday waiting for him right now. Besides the money issue is a Howie issue and that dude always finds a way so I see no reason to worry about that. 

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I actually think Ertz would be a good fit in our offense, even with Goedert as the TE1. Ertz was never a mauler as a blocker, but he was better than some are giving him credit for. He would be an instant upgrade over Stoll in two TE sets and defenses would actually have to respect his receiving threat. Ertz is great at running routes and getting open and is very good at finding a spot when the QB is scrambling. 

Obviously, he'd have to clear waivers and without restructuring a bunch of contracts, we simply don't have a lot of cap space to work with this year. It sounds like there may be an offer on the table already for Leonard with our remaining space. If Ertz cleared waivers and wanted a reunion at the vet minimum, it could really help this team during the final stretch. 

If he wants to play with a contender I think he would be willing to do this. Philly was home, Julie is retired from soccer, he has a family now and with the core guys that are still here in Kelce, Lane, BG and Cox and they can have one last shot all together at getting another ring. It will depend if he clears waivers and if the Eagles have an interest in bringing him in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Ertz clears waivers, it'll be interesting to see where HE chooses to go.  Would he be willing to sign to our practice squad initially?  For football reasons, I think he'd be a solid pickup right now for depth.

But, the roster juggling comes into play.  I think we have 1 open spot on the 53 right now...right?  And there's possibly the more urgent need for Shaq Leonard.

• Thanks 1

I think Ertz could contribute in a limited role here......after goedart, he's a better receiver than any other TE on the roster......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Everyone looking at the Super Bowl year forgetting that was 6 years ago. 

No one is expecting the Ertz production from 2017.  

The idea is bring him in as a backup.  Veteran experience, knows the team and some of the players.  He could add a little production in the receiving offense.  Goedert is supposed to be back for the Dallas game but what if something else happens to him or he hurts his arm further?  When Goedert is out there is virtually no receiving production from the backup TEs. 

Ertz this year so far: 43 targets, 27 rec, 187 yards, 1 TD

That's more than our backup TE's combined.  In fact only Stoll has had targets at all:  7 targets, 4 rec, 27 yards, 0 TD.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

If Ertz clears waivers, it'll be interesting to see where HE chooses to go.  Would he be willing to sign to our practice squad initially?  For football reasons, I think he'd be a solid pickup right now for depth.

But, the roster juggling comes into play.  I think we have 1 open spot on the 53 right now...right?  And there's possibly the more urgent need for Shaq Leonard.

Behind Goedert, there are 3 TEs on the roster.

Only 1 of them (Stoll) has had any targets.  Just 7 targets all year.  Calcaterra and Albert O have no targets.  

They can get rid of one of the TEs that doesn't do anything and get a veteran in Ertz who at least has a little production.  Stash one of them on the practice squad if they have to.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Everyone looking at the Super Bowl year forgetting that was 6 years ago. 

I don’t think anyone here is fooling themselves into thinking a 100 catch TE will be walking into that door, but there are several players on the roster right now who aren’t a better pass catching option than Ertz. 

• Like 1

At the right price this is a no brainer, especially with the Goedert injury.  Good vet experience and depth, and could contribute in a limited role much like Julio. 

Have to agree here.  He only lost his job because McBride is very good.  A fantasy find.  Ertz would make the double tight end set better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

No one is expecting the Ertz production from 2017.  

The idea is bring him in as a backup.  Veteran experience, knows the team and some of the players.  He could add a little production in the receiving offense.  Goedert is supposed to be back for the Dallas game but what if something else happens to him or he hurts his arm further?  When Goedert is out there is virtually no receiving production from the backup TEs. 

Ertz this year so far: 43 targets, 27 rec, 187 yards, 1 TD

That's more than our backup TE's combined.  In fact only Stoll has had targets at all:  7 targets, 4 rec, 27 yards, 0 TD.

We aren’t a two TE offense so of course he has more than our back ups combined. After Goedert is back and healthy Ertz would be wasting a roster spot not playing special teams and still being a sheety blocker. 

6 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I think Ertz could contribute in a limited role here......after goedart, he's a better receiver than any other TE on the roster......

Agree.  On blocking, Stoll is ahead of Ertz, who was never much a blocker when he was here.  As a back-up receiver of Dallas, he should be fine, especially for Dallas to heal fully from injury.  We need him in the play-off.  

12 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

Agree.  On blocking, Stoll is ahead of Ertz, who was never much a blocker when he was here.  As a back-up receiver of Dallas, he should be fine, especially for Dallas to heal fully from injury.  We need him in the play-off.  

ZACH ERTZ CANT BLOCK!!!

uwu4kfvzozihl8oivp9q.jpg

• Like 1

Off my immediate memory…

Hugh Douglas, Trotter, Foles are the players who left the Eagles and returned.  All big names.  In the nfl, second stints are typically a waste of everyone’s time, but we have a pretty good history with those.

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Off my immediate memory…

Let's not neglect punters... Sean Landeta left, then came back.

17 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

He did say when he left that he hoped to come back someday and get that record 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2