Zach Ertz released by Cardinals (Cleared Waivers)

psychodog

I still remember when we brought back Chad Lewis to win NFC championship.  Do it Howie.

7 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

i trust the Eagles' evaluation process.

You...trust the process?  :o  :P

We can argue back and forth but they know Ertz not just signing any player but a former player. They know his character, how he is in the locker room, what influence he might be in the meeting room and locker room.  They know what production they're getting from their current TEs besides Goedert and what they might do if they were to bring in Ertz.

IMO it's an easy decision.  Veteran presence who knows how to win, not expected to do much but contribute a little here and there.  Julio Jones was brought in with low expectations and he's contributed a little as well.  The other backup TEs haven't done anything.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What intrigues me about Ertz is that he was never explosive, physical, or fast.  He was an incredible route runner and had an uncanny ability to sit in the soft spot of a zone…plus the hands and catch radius.

Thise are things you don’t lose with age.

• Like 4

On 11/30/2023 at 10:31 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Jack Stoll has 4 receptions in eleven games and seven starts.

Grant C has zero receptions in nine games and one start.

Ertz has 27 receptions and a touchdown in seven starts. 
Stoll and Grant C combined aren’t even close to the receiver Ertz is even now. 

Totally agree, but stoll is a far better blocker than ertz, i never liked ertz and goedert together because ertz is an average at best blocker, 2 TE sets work best when both TEs can block, of they cant block might as well just go 4 wide or 3 wide and a TE, goedert is that TE now, ertz is a big slow and a slow one at that.

Rather have Albert O who also isnt much of a blocker but more dangerous oas catcher than ertz at this point.

If BJ cant get Albert O involved what makes you think he could ertz?

On 11/30/2023 at 10:31 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Jack Stoll has 4 receptions in eleven games and seven starts.

Grant C has zero receptions in nine games and one start.

Ertz has 27 receptions and a touchdown in seven starts. 
Stoll and Grant C combined aren’t even close to the receiver Ertz is even now. 

Ertz isnt going to get 27 catches in 7 games in this offense, so one needs a guy that can block.

Ertz is way past the time he was a featured weapon in an offense, stoll does a lot of dirty work and doesnt need to be featured.

If Ertz were a good blocker id be all for signing him but hes not, never has been and its not like hes gotten better as hes gotten older like some TE, hes just a slower receiving TE who still doesnt block.

Ill pass, he doesnt move the needle at all.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Utebird said:

Ertz isnt going to get 27 catches in 7 games in this offense, so one needs a guy that can block.

Ertz is way past the time he was a featured weapon in an offense, stoll does a lot of dirty work and doesnt need to be featured.

If Ertz were a good blocker id be all for signing him but hes not, never has been and its not like hes gotten better as hes gotten older like some TE, hes just a slower receiving TE who still doesnt block.

Ill pass, he doesnt move the needle at all.

The Eagles need receiver weapons. Stoll already is a solid blocker. Most of their receiver options past Goedert are up and down. Rarely used players who can’t be relied on to do much and Goedert himself is coming off yet another injury. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather see them throwing a pass to Ertz over anything else to Quez Watkins who does nothing of value. 

21 hours ago, Grump99 said:

I still remember when we brought back Chad Lewis to win NFC championship.  Do it Howie.

I don't remember that. Chad did leave for the Rams for a short stint (6 games) in 1999, but other than that, he was with the Eagles until 2005.

54 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles need receiver weapons. Stoll already is a solid blocker. Most of their receiver options past Goedert are up and down. Rarely used players who can’t be relied on to do much and Goedert himself is coming off yet another injury. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather see them throwing a pass to Ertz over anything else to Quez Watkins who does nothing of value. 

Quez stretches the field, may seem minimal but ertz doesnt threaten any part of the field that another eagle offensive player doesnt.

Aj has the slants and deep sideline does, smith is great in intermediate routes and deep routes, goedert runs TE screen, TE outlet routes and intermediate short stuff over the middle.

Jones gets 1 or 2 plays a game designed for him, if anything ertz would take targets from OZ who usually the 4th or 5th option on a play.

Like i said if Ertz was a good blocker id be all for it but hes not, eagles dont need another receiving option, the O runs through AJ , smith and goedert.

And its not like ertz is an elite weapon anymore, hes way past his prime.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grump99 said:

I think you are thinking jeff thomason being brought in for chad.

Chad was with the team for all 4 NFCCG.

He broke his foot catching a TD against the falcons NFCCG.

By 2008 chad had been retired for a few seasons...

1 hour ago, Utebird said:

Quez stretches the field, may seem minimal but ertz doesnt threaten any part of the field that another eagle offensive player doesnt.

Aj has the slants and deep sideline does, smith is great in intermediate routes and deep routes, goedert runs TE screen, TE outlet routes and intermediate short stuff over the middle.

Jones gets 1 or 2 plays a game designed for him, if anything ertz would take targets from OZ who usually the 4th or 5th option on a play.

Like i said if Ertz was a good blocker id be all for it but hes not, eagles dont need another receiving option, the O runs through AJ , smith and goedert.

I agree with this. From a sentimental point of view, I would love to have him back, but he’s a liability in run blocking and a limited pass catcher now. We have plenty of similar options who are already not getting many targets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I agree with this. From a sentimental point of view, I would love to have him back, but he’s a liability in run blocking and a limited pass catcher now. We have plenty of similar options who are already not getting many targets.

There is a clip of Ertz totally avoiding a block and some clips where he gets beat by a quick DE. But Ertz is a solid blocker, not a bad blocker --- definitely not a liability. If I recall in that infamous clip of him avoiding the block on a Wentz scramble, he was playing with a significant injury. I'm not sure what was going through his mind, but it seemed like had he blocked the guy he avoided, nothing on the play would have changed. Wentz was heading out of bounds and there were two more defenders unblocked that would have hit Wentz had he not run out of bounds. 

I don't think he fails to add something to this offense if he was here. His knack for getting open especially when the QB has to scramble is a trait we could exploit. 

5 hours ago, Utebird said:

This idea that Quez stretches the field is highly exaggerated. When was the last time that even happened? Jones targets going to Ertz isn’t terrible. Expecting Godert to come in and just step up where he left off might be difficult to do. I’d prefer any catches to Stoll would go to Ertz. The Eagles have struggled to find any kind of short to middle consistency in the passing game. These are areas where Ertz can operate. Grant C is a worse version of Ertz. He could end up becoming a much better player (provided he stays healthy), but he’s not there yet. Albert O is raw and not ready if he’s worth anything at all. Despite his size he’s not a good blocker. Goedert and Stoll are the best Eagles TE blockers. Grant C and Albert O combined aren’t better than Ertz. I’d play Ertz over Quez who hasn’t caught a deep pass in well over a year. 

11 hours ago, brkmsn said:

There is a clip of Ertz totally avoiding a block and some clips where he gets beat by a quick DE. But Ertz is a solid blocker, not a bad blocker --- definitely not a liability. If I recall in that infamous clip of him avoiding the block on a Wentz scramble, he was playing with a significant injury. I'm not sure what was going through his mind, but it seemed like had he blocked the guy he avoided, nothing on the play would have changed. Wentz was heading out of bounds and there were two more defenders unblocked that would have hit Wentz had he not run out of bounds. 

I don't think he fails to add something to this offense if he was here. His knack for getting open especially when the QB has to scramble is a trait we could exploit. 

Okay that's fair on the blocking. But I think the point holds that his blocking isn't a strength.

I just think he's pretty much done. No shame in that at all. He's 33 coming off an ACL surgery. This year he's put up 187 yards in 7 games averaging 6.9 yards per completion and 4.2 yards per attempt. That's bad. When I've watched the Cards, I always keep an eye on him and he just looks sluggish now. It's understandable. He is now coming off a quad injury.

Hurts really isn't a spread it around type QB. It's understandable with the elite top weapons he has and his legs. We already have under used secondary targets in Swift, Zaccheaus, Gainwell and Julio Jones. I just don't see how Ertz at this point in his career becomes a functioning part of this offense.   

Decision expected in the next 48 hours. Chiefs, Bills, Eagles and Ravens the 4 teams.

Chiefs don't make much sense with Kelce there. They do need guys that can catch though and maybe they line him up in the slot at times. 

Bills are going to possibly miss the playoffs and he will be behind Kincaid and Knox when he returns

Ravens he can go in and get the most playing time, they're also possibly the best team in the AFC right now. 

Eagles he is number 2 behind Goedert and he has the emotional connection. 

From an opportunity perspective Baltimore makes the most sense, although if both Philly and Ertz have interest I think he is an Eagle. They will either pop Calcaterra on IR with his ankle or they will release Okwuegbunam 

1 hour ago, Mat said:

Decision expected in the next 48 hours. Chiefs, Bills, Eagles and Ravens the 4 teams.

Chiefs don't make much sense with Kelce there. They do need guys that can catch though and maybe they line him up in the slot at times. 

Bills are going to possibly miss the playoffs and he will be behind Kincaid and Knox when he returns

Ravens he can go in and get the most playing time, they're also possibly the best team in the AFC right now. 

Eagles he is number 2 behind Goedert and he has the emotional connection. 

From an opportunity perspective Baltimore makes the most sense, although if both Philly and Ertz have interest I think he is an Eagle. They will either pop Calcaterra on IR with his ankle or they will release Okwuegbunam 

Genuine question - is there any confirmation that those 4 team are interested/have made an offer to Ertz?

17 hours ago, Utebird said:

I think you are thinking jeff thomason being brought in for chad.

Chad was with the team for all 4 NFCCG.

He broke his foot catching a TD against the falcons NFCCG.

By 2008 chad had been retired for a few seasons...

Yes, you are correct.  My bad.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

This idea that Quez stretches the field is highly exaggerated. When was the last time that even happened? Jones targets going to Ertz isn’t terrible. Expecting Godert to come in and just step up where he left off might be difficult to do. I’d prefer any catches to Stoll would go to Ertz. The Eagles have struggled to find any kind of short to middle consistency in the passing game. These are areas where Ertz can operate. Grant C is a worse version of Ertz. He could end up becoming a much better player (provided he stays healthy), but he’s not there yet. Albert O is raw and not ready if he’s worth anything at all. Despite his size he’s not a good blocker. Goedert and Stoll are the best Eagles TE blockers. Grant C and Albert O combined aren’t better than Ertz. I’d play Ertz over Quez who hasn’t caught a deep pass in well over a year. 

What targets you give to ertz over stoll sacrifices blocking for 1 target a game?

Stoll is a much better blocker than ertz and its not like ertz is a stud receiving option anymore.

Albert O isnt raw as receiver, hes got a season of 40 plus catches, hes just not much of a blocker.

Ertz stopped being effective because teams wouldnt worry about him as a blocker so they covered him with a nickel CB or safety, once he stopped being able to beat nickels he lost value.

Ertz as a 3rd TE would be fine, hes an upgrade over Calcaterra, but i wouldnt want ertz taking snaps from stoll, the drop off in blocking is too great.

I suppose if goedert got hurt one could slide ertz in at TE 1 and keep Stoll at TE2 as Ertz is the better receiving weapon of the two but lets stop pretending ertz is guy he was 5 years agi that was a weapon in the passing game.

Hes a bit player at this point and bit players need to block and do the dirty work, ertz doesnt do either, never has 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brkmsn said:

5 years ago Ertz is no longer here.

Hes a shell of himself.

His new knack is catching 5 yard passes and falling down...☹️

1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Genuine question - is there any confirmation that those 4 team are interested/have made an offer to Ertz?

Have to click to see the full tweet

23 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I don't remember that. Chad did leave for the Rams for a short stint (6 games) in 1999, but other than that, he was with the Eagles until 2005.

Sorry, my bad.  Was referring to when Eagles brought in Jeff Thomason to replace injured Chad Lewis for Super Bowl.

Other than Goedert, he’s better than anyone else we have at TE as you saw in the game.  Hurts is running around with the ball looking for a safety valve.  Ertz would help.