The players have lost faith in the coaching staff, the signs are everywhere

opa-opa

I feel like this is what's happening behind the scenes. No one is talking but the signs are all there.

Like the weird false start penalty on Mailata when we tried to do a hurry-up offense. It's like he didn't know what was going on. Seems like a lack of preparation...I mean I'm sure they practiced it but maybe players are so checked-out they don't even pay attention during practice anymore?

Also the lack of effort on star players like AJ Brown. Last two games opponents have been putting their best cover guy on him, so he's had trouble getting open...so what does the coaching staff do? Just tell Hurts to force the ball to him anyways. 

When it seems like the coaching staff has no clue and no ideas to help them win, when do players just stop caring as well? And stop giving 100%?

Or maybe it's a chicken and egg thing? Maybe the coaching staff has given up on the players as well? I mean when you see Hurts give up the ball game after game and Desai has to watch Morrow miss every other tackle....maybe they just think, heck this is the best I can do with this bunch of guys?

Anyway seems like the team is a death spiral, I'm not exactly sure how they get out of it. My own idea is to greatly simplify the offense, ie go back to the 2nd half of 2021. But they're probably too proud and bull-headed to try it. They still think it's "fixable".

BTW I'm just thinking how Seattle played both Dallas and SF as well these last weeks and although they didn't win either, they at least looked a lot more competitive that we did.

• Like 1

Season's over imo, at best it will be a 1st round exit in the playoffs.

Hopefully next year Howie will find a way to soften the boner he gets from focusing on only the D & Olines and give more attention to the secondary, linebackers and other needs....

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Losses expose a lot and wins can cover up a lot. When a team is winning everyone is happy, when a team is losing there tends to be cracks. 

I don’t think it’s a complete case of the players losing faith in the coaches but I do think there are some issues there. Hurts didn’t look at all happy yesterday. Now I know he’s not a big ra-ra kind of player but he looked defeated and disinterested on the sidelines yesterday.

The defensive issues are clear. They lack talent. But the offense just seems off and broken. Something isn’t right there. There is too much talent on that side of the ball to be that bad.

• Like 5

I can't speak for the players but I have lost faith.   Both coordinators are doing a poor job, especially Johnson.  Siri is ultimately responsible, so he better figure it out.

The window is closing fast.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I expected at least 2 Ls but not in this fashion. Schedulers did them no favors. They look beat up, slow, and mentally disengaged. Two top teams in a row coming off of 10 days rest didn't make them look any faster. Could certainly be the coaches and planning playing a role. Here's the deal. Still in the hunt for the #1 seed. Still in the hunt to win the division. Need to take care of business in Seattle. They need to get some rest some how so it's either the real #1 seed bye or the final week of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

I can't speak for the players but I have lost faith.   Both coordinators are doing a poor job, especially Johnson.  Siri is ultimately responsible, so he better figure it out.

The window is closing fast.

Perhaps it wasn't the wisest decision to give a rookie OC the opportunity to grow into the job when this is a playoff contending team, rather than a rebuilding one.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Even when they were winning I had little faith. Sure they were winning but they weren’t beating people, there’s a difference. These past few games have shown what this team really is, and that is a flawed team that will be one and done. Only reason they make the playoffs is because they have 10 wins and it’ll be tough for two or three teams to match it at this point in the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sirianni is too player friendly. He hasn't evaluated himself harshly enough as a coach. The team is sloppy, they are a boring offense, they are a tired defense, lacking playmakers and depth.

• Like 2

opa is likely right … it does look as though the players are losing faith with this coaching staff 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

opa is likely right … it does look as though the players are losing faith with this coaching staff 

I think perhaps some of the messages are starting to grow old? And I think perhaps there are things happening that the team are questioning? Like last week Sirianni kept the starters in citing some BS reason. This week he pulls the starters. So literally last week was just BS then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I feel like this is what's happening behind the scenes. No one is talking but the signs are all there.

Like the weird false start penalty on Mailata when we tried to do a hurry-up offense. It's like he didn't know what was going on. Seems like a lack of preparation...I mean I'm sure they practiced it but maybe players are so checked-out they don't even pay attention during practice anymore?

Also the lack of effort on star players like AJ Brown. Last two games opponents have been putting their best cover guy on him, so he's had trouble getting open...so what does the coaching staff do? Just tell Hurts to force the ball to him anyways. 

When it seems like the coaching staff has no clue and no ideas to help them win, when do players just stop caring as well? And stop giving 100%?

Or maybe it's a chicken and egg thing? Maybe the coaching staff has given up on the players as well? I mean when you see Hurts give up the ball game after game and Desai has to watch Morrow miss every other tackle....maybe they just think, heck this is the best I can do with this bunch of guys?

Anyway seems like the team is a death spiral, I'm not exactly sure how they get out of it. My own idea is to greatly simplify the offense, ie go back to the 2nd half of 2021. But they're probably too proud and bull-headed to try it. They still think it's "fixable".

BTW I'm just thinking how Seattle played both Dallas and SF as well these last weeks and although they didn't win either, they at least looked a lot more competitive that we did.

Agreed, I said it in last weeks game day thread. The players look frustrated and defeated. I was hoping Hurts and the other captains would call a players-only meeting to discuss this and then go to Siri with suggestions to fix this issue. 

Instead, we get the generic "we have to do better and we will” comments week after week with no improvement and zero accountability. I can’t stomach watching another game like this. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, seengreen said:

Sirianni is too player friendly. He hasn't evaluated himself harshly enough as a coach. The team is sloppy, they are a boring offense, they are a tired defense, lacking playmakers and depth.

I’m okay with a "player-friendly” head coach as long as the coordinators are hard-lined and technically sound. We don’t have that and it’s showing. Both coordinators need help or shown the door this offseason. It’s too late to replace them this year IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, judunno said:

I expected at least 2 Ls but not in this fashion. Schedulers did them no favors. They look beat up, slow, and mentally disengaged. Two top teams in a row coming off of 10 days rest didn't make them look any faster. Could certainly be the coaches and planning playing a role. Here's the deal. Still in the hunt for the #1 seed. Still in the hunt to win the division. Need to take care of business in Seattle. They need to get some rest some how so it's either the real #1 seed bye or the final week of the season. 

Can we stop with the "rest" excuse? it's embarrassing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

Can we stop with the "rest" excuse? it's embarrassing. 

Yeah, I never understood that rest excuse. We just came off our bye week before these last 4 games. Are we that weak that we need ANOTHER bye week?

• Haha 1

Both coordinators need to be gone next season that’s the fix. Also replacing BG with a pass rusher in their prime. 

• Like 1

Nick is the biggest issue on this football team. This team has looked unprepared to play in all but maybe two games this season.

The first half of every game this season has been the exact same script. Same plays, same philosophy, and same results. There is no creativity at all on offense. Our head coach has basically come up with one game plan and run it all season. It hasn't worked in the first half yet.

It looks like we don't prepare for the team we are facing but rather run the offense through analytics. There is no football philosophy or strategy taking place. We pass so much that we have made both the RPO and play action useless. The RPO requires you to actually run the ball. We run a PPO. Pass pass option.

We essentially have a dozen or so plays that we have been running all season long. The top three are as follows.

QB draw

Brotherly Shove

Deep ball to Brown or Smitty

And a couple run plays up the middle and a couple sweeps to the outside.

We start games as a one dimensional offense and don't even try to use the ground game until the second half weekly.

As for the Defense. It's worse than bad. We can't stop nobody.

Nick is the head coach. Nick is the issue in my opinion. He makes the game plans, he runs the analytics based approach and he designed this boring mess of an offensive scheme.

This football team has been a mess all season. The last two weeks have been a long time coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Columbus Eagle said:

Agreed, I said it in last weeks game day thread. The players look frustrated and defeated. I was hoping Hurts and the other captains would call a players-only meeting to discuss this and then go to Siri with suggestions to fix this issue. 

Instead, we get the generic "we have to do better and we will” comments week after week with no improvement and zero accountability. I can’t stomach watching another game like this. 

You sir are correct. There have been zero improvements all season. We lost the last two games for the exact same reasons we nearly lost to the Pats in week 1.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EagleFan85 said:

Nick is the biggest issue on this football team. This team has looked unprepared to play in all but maybe two games this season.

The first half of every game this season has been the exact same script. Same plays, same philosophy, and same results. There is no creativity at all on offense. Our head coach has basically come up with one game plan and run it all season. It hasn't worked in the first half yet.

It looks like we don't prepare for the team we are facing but rather run the offense through analytics. There is no football philosophy or strategy taking place. We pass so much that we have made both the RPO and play action useless. The RPO requires you to actually run the ball. We run a PPO. Pass pass option.

We essentially have a dozen or so plays that we have been running all season long. The top three are as follows.

QB draw

Brotherly Shove

Deep ball to Brown or Smitty

And a couple run plays up the middle and a couple sweeps to the outside.

We start games as a one dimensional offense and don't even try to use the ground game until the second half weekly.

As for the Defense. It's worse than bad. We can't stop nobody.

Nick is the head coach. Nick is the issue in my opinion. He makes the game plans, he runs the analytics based approach and he designed this boring mess of an offensive scheme.

This football team has been a mess all season. The last two weeks have been a long time coming.

Agree.  And it's criminal that we don't involve any other receiver than Brown, Smith or Goedert.  There should be plays for Zaccheaus, Quez and Julio...they should be way more involved than they are.  But again, that's Sirianni...he plainly told the team that the "offense runs through Brown, Smith and Goedert".  Apparently, he means literally...just them and nobody else, ever.

Those 3 should certainly be the stars of the show, but the other guys can be important role players and contribute to keep defenses off balance and honest.  Either Siri can't design an offense that involves everyone, or he thinks it would make it too complicated for Hurts.

Brown, Smith, Hurts,

Last night

3 fumbles.

This football team is a mess. It has been a mess all season and that is a direct reflection of our head coach. He's a ra ra analytics guy and little more.

10 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Pretty sure the clock was about to hit 0 so he went because the defender was coming because we were about to have a delay of game. Complete cluster F. 

Offensively we need to get back to being a running team. That’s how we move the ball. We run more in the second half and it works and we come back to win. Pretty simple recipe for success. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Players have lost faith in QB1 

I don’t think that’s the case. He’s done too much in too many tough spots for that to happen already.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don’t think that’s the case. He’s done too much in too many tough spots for that to happen already.

He's regressed and has become a turnover machine

This place is in TATERGEDDON with conspiracy theories and some wild hot takes.  Fire everyone, cut everyone, stop drafting from the SEC, Swift sucks (he's the 4th leading rusher in the league!), AJ Brown sucks (he's the 2nd leading receiver in the league!), the coaches are just puppets to Howie and Lurie who control the schemes and plays.   :wacko:

Losing causes frustration, that can manifest in getting jittery to want to make plays to you get false start, offsides, DPI and other penalties or show that frustration in venting and fighting (AJ vs Gilmore, Kelce screaming on the sidelines, etc.)  They are showing frustration after a tough stretch of schedule and getting beat down 2 weeks in a row after clawing to win an OT game.    

That doesn't mean the team all of a sudden doesn't have faith in the coaches or Hurts.  Of course they're not happy about the losses and that frustration will show.

And if there are rumors about certain things, that could be a player or 2 who is immature or selfish and that doesn't reflect the whole team.  The team is full of high character guys who support each other and the coaches.  These conspiracy theories come out like cockroaches after losses.  It's happened with every owner, GM and coach.  There's always some conspiracy behind it all!  :lol:

• Thanks 2