The players have lost faith in the coaching staff, the signs are everywhere

opa-opa

4 minutes ago, MF POON said:

It's obvious we don't have the personnel to fit the scheme, so change the scheme. You'd expect the coaches to put the players in a better position to have success, but they have yet to do so. 

From everything I hear this is much easier said then done. We just don't have enough talent. Changing schemes will just open up different opportunities the offense can exploit. My main complaint is that when you lacking talent on D like we are then you need to play more physical and hope that leads to other team making more game deciding mistakes then you. Scheme will only get you so far in that regard. The way I see it is that if you're going to let a team march down the field and score anyway you may as well make them pay for it.

• Like 1

JFC, we have a year 3 HC, two year 1 co-ordinators. We have a WR ranked 2 in the league, running back ranked 4. A QB still in the MVP conversation (won't win it, but up there). We've had perhaps the most brutal stretch of games (including rank of oppo, time between games etc) I can remember of any team. We're tied for best record in the league. SF has a couple of tough games - including the Ravens and the Rams. DAL has to still play Lions, Dolphins and Bills, all playoff teams. Is it any wonder the team is beat up and not firing on all cylinders? 

F me, I hope I never find myeslf working for any of y'all motherFers, that's all I can say

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Just to add, if I am a Niners or Cowboys coach, I am looking at everything involved and realising that the best time all season to have to play the Eagles was exactly when they did

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

JFC, we have a year 3 HC, two year 1 co-ordinators. We have a WR ranked 2 in the league, running back ranked 4. A QB still in the MVP conversation (won't win it, but up there). We've had perhaps the most brutal stretch of games (including rank of oppo, time between games etc) I can remember of any team. We're tied for best record in the league. SF has a couple of tough games - including the Ravens and the Rams. DAL has to still play Lions, Dolphins and Bills, all playoff teams. Is it any wonder the team is beat up and not firing on all cylinders? 

F me, I hope I never find myeslf working for any of y'all motherFers, that's all I can say

None of that stuff excuses the poor play.  The poor play was there before the brutal stretch, and the defense has just gotten worse (as now we can't even stop the run anymore).   I agree that there's still a chance to get a 1, or 2 seed, but they also need to be playing really well going into the playoffs.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

These fans must be the hardest working guys at their job, no mistakes, and achieving great things.  Oh wait, we're all spending half our time on the EMB chatting about football on company time.  :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

52 minutes ago, NOTW said:

These fans must be the hardest working guys at their job, no mistakes, and achieving great things.  Oh wait, we're all spending half our time on the EMB chatting about football on company time.  :lol:  

image.gif.7e554d036f19cfdc89f761e32244b7a4.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwinavega said:

The problem I have with this is that when we were 10-1 and people were criticizing how we were winning and doubting how good this team is, many just wanted to point to the record and dismiss the doubters. Now that it looks like our chickens have come home to roost, as predicted by many, people still want to pretend this team doesn't have issues that need to be addressed. Fine if you want to be one of those people. I just hope our coaches and players don't feel that way.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EagleVA said:

There're rumors that the HC, OC, and DC get their directives from Howie's analytics department, this is what Dan Sileo reported, Sileo reported that he heard it from Frank Reich.

That would not surprise me, and why the defenses under Gannon & Desai have been similar when people hoped for/expected changes.

• Like 2

Doesn't look like they are ready to make any changes, or even admit anything has to change. Oh well. Another loss incoming.

BTW the way he keeps mentioning "gather information" really hints at a lot of analytics crap going on behind the scenes.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

6 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

. Is it any wonder the team is  not firing on all cylinders? 

And here is the problem.  They haven't fired on all cylinders in any game all season.  A quarter here,  a quarter there, but not a single complete game.  And we keep waiting.... and waiting... and they keep getting worse... and worse...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Captain F said:

And here is the problem.  They haven't fired on all cylinders in any game all season.  A quarter here,  a quarter there, but not a single complete game.  And we keep waiting.... and waiting... and they keep getting worse... and worse...

To me, this is the biggest thing more than anything. It's not the 2 game loss in a vacuum, or even that they were lopsided defeats, though that doesn't help at all. It's that they haven't played a complete game yet. Not saying every game has to be a blowout. But prior to the first Dallas game, that was supposed to be the "easy" part of the schedule. We're supposed to be this great team, but not one time have we been able to put a team away early. I expect at least 5 more grind it out type games.

• Like 1

This is such a BS thread.  Dallas lost 42-10 to SF.  Niners lost three in a row to the Browns, Vikings and Bengals.  Such fair weather fans in Philly.  Just buckle up and enjoy the ride.  Eagles are still a good team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Procus said:

This is such a BS thread.  Dallas lost 42-10 to SF.  Niners lost three in a row to the Browns, Vikings and Bengals.  Such fair weather fans in Philly.  Just buckle up and enjoy the ride.  Eagles are still a good team.

We are ranked at the bottom of nearly every defensive category. The only thing that says this is a good team is our record. Were the 2022 Vikings a good team?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, opa-opa said:

We are ranked at the bottom of nearly every defensive category. The only thing that says this is a good team is our record. Were the 2022 Vikings a good team?

If our schedule did not contain so many games against high powered offenses, the defense would look better.  We still are tied for best record in the NFL and are better than last year's Vikings.  This is an overreaction to losses against top teams coming off of a mini bye while Eagles are in the middle of a brutal stretch.  Need to let the rest of this season play out first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Rey said:

This post says it all perfectly. This team runs the exact same plays week in and week out. There are no wrinkles. When is the last time you saw an innovative play on Offense??? Johnson/Siri have completely eliminated the RPO and forced Jalen into trying to be something he's not ... a pure passer without much help from a running game. On Defense it's just simply embarrassing ... it's prevent-defense on steroids and hoping the Offense makes a mistake. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it; it's just sit-back on your heels and give them 7-10 yards per play down the field all day long. The #'s are putrid ... Desai just plays his putrid scheme and doesn't care about playing to player's strengths or putting them in better positions to succeed. His "adjustments" seem to come after we are already down by 13-17 points.

May be an image of 1 person, playing football and text that says '. .- Eliot @EliotShorrParks #Eagles 2023 Defense: Points per game: 28th Points per drive: 29th Yards per game: 22nd Turnovers Forced: 21st Passing TDs allowed: 31st 1st Downs by Penalties: 26th 3rd Down Defense: 32nd Reo Red Zone Defense: 30th 9:19AM 12/11/23 from Earth 9K Views'

This is the guy who was supposed to be better than Gannon? 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Thing3 said:

The problem I have with this is that when we were 10-1 and people were criticizing how we were winning and doubting how good this team is, many just wanted to point to the record and dismiss the doubters. Now that it looks like our chickens have come home to roost, as predicted by many, people still want to pretend this team doesn't have issues that need to be addressed. Fine if you want to be one of those people. I just hope our coaches and players don't feel that way.

2 teams in the last 30 years have gone 10-1 in consecutive years, it isn't luck, especially with our schedule this year. We had two tough games back to back where our opponent was coming off a 10 day break, that's tough (not to mention suspiciously rare) in any season at this stage of the year.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Thing3 said:

Some just like to keep their head in the sand and deny the issues that we've been observing (and critical of) exist.  But while I don't think we were as good as our record indicated when we were 10-1, I also don't think we are as bad as those 2 blowout losses made us look.  There is enough talent on this team to make some serious noise ... it is up to the coaches to figure out how to use that talent (I don't think they are doing a good job of that on either side of the ball) and on the players to execute better when their number is called (3 fumbles by 3 of our biggest playmakers on Sunday night???).  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Thing3 said:

24 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Some just like to keep their head in the sand and deny the issues that we've been observing (and critical of) exist.  But while I don't think we were as good as our record indicated when we were 10-1, I also don't think we are as bad as those 2 blowout losses made us look.  There is enough talent on this team to make some serious noise ... it is up to the coaches to figure out how to use that talent (I don't think they are doing a good job of that on either side of the ball) and on the players to execute better when their number is called (3 fumbles by 3 of our biggest playmakers on Sunday night???).  

Not buying into all the doom and gloom forecasts is not a dismissal of the doubters nor is it burying one's head in the sand. It's never easy to get to 10-1 or even 10-3 for that matter. I think the big thing to me is that the critical nature of fans toward their team tends to blind them of the faults of other teams. There is no "perfection" out there. There are 32 rosters full of NFL level  players and every single one of those players can have a good game on any given week. All of them can likewise have a bad game on any given week. 

Given the Eagles' success in the NFC dating back through last season, I would believe that at least up until last Sunday, we were the measuring stick. All our opponents were up for that game against us and seemed to play very well. A couple of the recent teams had 10+ days to prepare for those games. You can't convince me that the 49ers weren't preparing for the Eagles for weeks after all the crying they have done for 10 months. They were obsessed with the Eagles. After our last 2 losses, the power rankings have shifted and the hype-trains are roaring down the tracks for the Whiners and cowboys. Now they're the measuring sticks to opponents. 

By no means am I happy with the last 2 games. But crying about them won't change a thing. Hopefully the Eagles close the regular season with 4 wins (pretty or ugly --- I don't care). The postseason games matter much more. Winning out might secure playing at home. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, EagleFan85 said:

Brown, Smith, Hurts,

Last night

3 fumbles.

This football team is a mess. It has been a mess all season and that is a direct reflection of our head coach. He's a ra ra analytics guy and little more.

thank you!
the cracks in the armor were showing well before the last two games....having to come from behind in five games(?) Championship teams don't do that..they might do it in one or two games..and that identifies them as resilient...but my guess is that the come from behind wins were more luck than anything...

as with anything we don't know, and will never know the full details of what is really going on behind the scenes...on defense for example..maybe Desai is telling Howie and Jeff "I NEED good LBs to run my defense" and Howie is ignoring this because of their historic devaluation of the position...

maybe Desai is thinking that his secondary is not fast or skilled enough to play Man to Man,...so he has to play soft zones...who knows...but then if you look at Desai's history, the numbers are not good...

as far as offense, it's pretty bad when the players themselves are saying that the other teams know exactly what we are doing...Chip Kelly anyone? 

what happened to slants? crossing routes? SCREEN PASSES? End arounds? 4 WR sets...you signed a big guy in Julio Jones..where the HELL is he? etc...

• Like 1

They are still in control of their destiny. They COULD turn this thing aroundThey have a soft schedule the rest of the way, and there is no excuse to not run the table here. But CAN they?? That remains to be seen. All we hear is "We gotta coach 'em better, we gotta put them in better position to be successful" from the coaches, who never do that. They TALK it, but never do it. Maybe they can't- simple as that. And from the players "We have to play up to our standard, we gotta play better, we gotta do this, that and the other thing." And then never do it. Just a LOT of excuses being thrown around.

So let's get rid of all your excuses.

A. You can run the table against EASY opponents.
B. You can suck and not rise to the occasion

Your choice, but I am not listening to all your lame a_ _ excuses anymore.

Like Yoda said- "Do... or do not- there is no try."

• Like 2

I believe the frustrations stem from we all know this team, particularly the offense, is top tier in the NFL. I was one of those saying in the beginning of the year, it's just rust, the Jets loss was just a bad game, Hurts was injured and they'll adjust and step up when it really matters. I was also one of the people not complaining when we were 10-1. I wouldn't even have much to say now if these last games weren't utter collapses to the two teams that stand most in our way.  I'm still not one of the people saying the season is over and calling for major changes to the coaching staff. It's way too early for that level of doom. But at this point I'm done making excuses for this teams inability to adjust and put together a game that looks even remotely complete. It's the same MO week after week and week after week it seems less effective. We're digressing when there is no excuse for it. That should be frustrating to everyone from Lurie down to the fans.

• Like 2

Btw im not sure but i think this team is really starting to miss Hargrave. Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter have not been able to replace his production.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

Btw im not sure but i think this team is really starting to miss Hargrave. Jordan Davis and Jalen Carter have not been able to replace his production.

Why don't you start a thread about it, Chicken Little.

• Haha 1