The players have lost faith in the coaching staff, the signs are everywhere

opa-opa

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

Agree.  And it's criminal that we don't involve any other receiver than Brown, Smith or Goedert.  There should be plays for Zaccheaus, Quez and Julio...they should be way more involved than they are.  But again, that's Sirianni...he plainly told the team that the "offense runs through Brown, Smith and Goedert".  Apparently, he means literally...just them and nobody else, ever.

Those 3 should certainly be the stars of the show, but the other guys can be important role players and contribute to keep defenses off balance and honest.  Either Siri can't design an offense that involves everyone, or he thinks it would make it too complicated for Hurts.

Well, we did run a fake punt for Zuccini, so that was nice. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Well, we did run a fake punt for Zuccini, so that was nice. 

You are the 2nd person today to respond to one of my posts...that have nothing to do with special teams...about the fake punt.  Is there a joke or a reference I'm not getting? :huh:

Just now, EaglesAddict said:

You are the 2nd person today to respond to one of my posts...that have nothing to do with special teams...about the fake punt.  Is there a joke or a reference I'm not getting? :huh:

More fake punts could be the key.  Fake punts and the Brotherly Shove, let's gooooo!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

You referenced having other players involved, mentioning Zuccini. I was goofing mentioning he was the target on the fake punt. 

I’ve lost a lot of confidence in this team. Gotta find ways of keeping my sense of humor. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Also the lack of effort on star players like AJ Brown. Last two games opponents have been putting their best cover guy on him, so he's had trouble getting open...so what does the coaching staff do? Just tell Hurts to force the ball to him anyways. 

As I've alluded to tihis before, I believe this is due to a lack of spreading the ball around, teams know that 80% if not more that the ball is going to either Brown or Smith so they don't have to worry about the others and have several pairs of eyes on those 2.

This is what makes SF so dangerous, the ball is thrown to whomever, you can't focus on just 2 players.

• Like 1

Have you watched the last two games? The play calling on both sides of the ball haven't just been bad but rather embarassing.

Both OC & DC should be fired. I am about to create a thread about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, JournalistMic said:

Both OC & DC should be fired. I am about to create a thread about it.

There're rumors that the HC, OC, and DC get their directives from Howie's analytics department, this is what Dan Sileo reported, Sileo reported that he heard it from Frank Reich.

Anyhow, let's report some positives, I thought both last week and yesterday the OL played well, especially last week.  And then there was something saw from Hurts that's really encouraging, I actually saw him step up in the pocket and found a target downfield.  If Hurts can work on stepping up in the pocket instead of running right/left he'll be a much better QB, so many big plays can be had with that move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the issue as I've seen it for awhile now. I'm just a fan of football. I never even played football besides some backyard games. I have no business analyzing X's and O's and largely leave that to others who have a much better understanding of the game. It's a big reason I'm always lurking here but rarely post anything. With that in mind, when I can watch an Eagles game and can predict plays like I'm Tony Romo....It's a problem!

What I also see, from my laymen perspective, is this team is soft. It seems the entire team is in a "good ol' boys club" where the only thing that matters is that you don't bruise anyone's ego. I believe this starts at the top with Lurie who I've long felt is more interested in building a brand the NFL wants to sell then a trophy case. Then you have Howie, who I think is a good GM, but is too beholden to producing Lurie's "brand of football". Siri is clearly a yes man that hires yes men who are willing to eat whatever ish sandwich Lurie and Howie serves them. There is zero feel for the game. Everything seems to be calculated and stubbornly executed. I see very little ingenuity or willingness to change. But that's what happens when you have no conflict within an organization. 

I also feel Siri is far too concerned with protecting players. I think this has lead to a whole host of issues. This culture leads players to be fully comfortable making comments like Slay's where he openly admits that tackling to him is simply a matter of getting a player on the ground and not sacrificing his body. Where is the "dog mentality" in those comments? Dogs want to catch the car!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Someone tell the Eagles that Frank Reich is still out there....

Exactly what I have been saying. 👍🏻

5 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Yeah, I never understood that rest excuse. We just came off our bye week before these last 4 games. Are we that weak that we need ANOTHER bye week?

It all goes back to camp SiriSoft™. They were never ready when the season started and STILL are not ready. 🤣

• Like 1

IMO the core issue with the team is the overall philosophy is passive / reactive.  They don't dictate on either offense or defense and the schemes are overall very simple.  This sits with Sirianni and its his issue to solve.

Offense:  The play designs are all based on a "read" philosphy to make plays look the same and then take what the defense gives you based on how they play it.  Defenses have learned to dictate what they want the Eagles to do based on how they play it and then they change it up on the fly post snap.  This makes Hurts indecisive and takes time to adjust and leads to him holding the ball.  The defenses force the Eagles to have to throw long routes way too much.  Outside of this the whole design is flawed with lack of appropriate hot routes and uncreative play design to get playmakers open in space in ~2secs.  Look at all those other teams that do that?

Defense: Simple concepts. Bend but don't break.  No aggression.  Don't dictate to the offense.  Poor job taking away what the opposing QB relies on the most.  Also have an investment issue here - the back 7 lack good talent and the team isn't doing a great job growing that talent.  Many teams in the league playing rookies in the secondary that look a lot better than what the Eagles are getting from their young talent.

Overall philosophically they are a very passive team in their schemes.  Passive schemes IMO breed passive players.  Eagles football has never been passive, especially on D they need to Fing fix it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The only thing that is aggressive about Nick Sirianni is his willingness to go for it on 4th down.  That's it.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

Can we stop with the "rest" excuse? it's embarrassing. 

Have you not seen the snap counts for the defense floating around the boards especially the last two weeks. It's fact that they are wasted and you can see it in their play. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It all goes back to camp SiriSoft™. They were never ready when the season started and STILL are not ready. 🤣

Really lol... we going way back to preseason.... lmao. 

2 minutes ago, judunno said:

Have you not seen the snap counts for the defense floating around the boards especially the last two weeks. It's fact that they are wasted and you can see it in their play. 

This is actually a huge issue.  They have no legs and no time to recover.  Brutal stretch of games against top teams playing a lot of snaps.  However, it is a symptom, but the root cause is the overall philosophy and schemes.  Offense has not been dominating time of possession and D can't get off the field on 3rd down so they play a ton of snaps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They are 10-3...the last two games have been beyond disappointing and baffling but the season isn't over and lets be honest with ourselves the 49ers are incredibly hot ATM and Dallas is a different team at home than on the road. I still think this team will win the NFC east and finish with the second best record in the NFC. It may be ugly but I have faith.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, proveagle said:

This is actually a huge issue.  They have no legs and no time to recover.  Brutal stretch of games against top teams playing a lot of snaps.  However, it is a symptom, but the root cause is the overall philosophy and schemes.  Offense has not been dominating time of possession and D can't get off the field on 3rd down so they play a ton of snaps.

For sure offense not dominating TOS and defense not getting off the field on 3rd down equates to a lot of snaps. Add in the fact that they played some physical teams for pretty much since the Bye that's definitely taking some tread off the tires.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

Mediocre QB. Stats don't lie.

Screen Shot 2023-12-11 at 5.38.22 PM.png

Doesn't look like QB1 stats that are worth 250 million

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EagleFan85 said:

Nick is the biggest issue on this football team. This team has looked unprepared to play in all but maybe two games this season.

The first half of every game this season has been the exact same script. Same plays, same philosophy, and same results. There is no creativity at all on offense. Our head coach has basically come up with one game plan and run it all season. It hasn't worked in the first half yet.

It looks like we don't prepare for the team we are facing but rather run the offense through analytics. There is no football philosophy or strategy taking place. We pass so much that we have made both the RPO and play action useless. The RPO requires you to actually run the ball. We run a PPO. Pass pass option.

We essentially have a dozen or so plays that we have been running all season long. The top three are as follows.

QB draw

Brotherly Shove

Deep ball to Brown or Smitty

And a couple run plays up the middle and a couple sweeps to the outside.

We start games as a one dimensional offense and don't even try to use the ground game until the second half weekly.

As for the Defense. It's worse than bad. We can't stop nobody.

Nick is the head coach. Nick is the issue in my opinion. He makes the game plans, he runs the analytics based approach and he designed this boring mess of an offensive scheme.

This football team has been a mess all season. The last two weeks have been a long time coming.

Agreed. I had to take statistics in college and hated every minute of it. It does not ever tell the completely story, it simply analyzes.....corporations love it though and I still do not see why.....but to use it to run a football team is just downright dumb imo.....

1 hour ago, judunno said:

Really lol... we going way back to preseason.... lmao. 

That's right. And it's true. Allll the way back to pre season. And they STILL aren't ready to play a full game. 

• Like 2

Just now, Talonblood said:

That's right. And it's true. Allll the way back to pre season. And they STILL aren't ready to play a full game. 

😂

Hear me out.  What if the coaches and players got together and said something to the effect of "we are 10-1, we are tired, let's not kill ourselves these next 2 games or show too much since we will likely see at least one of these 2 teams in the playoffs.  Let's throttle down and take care of the cakewalk at the end of the season and be refreshed and ready to go in the playoffs". 

Probably no, right? But maybe?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Captain F said:

Hear me out.  What if the coaches and players got together and said something to the effect of "we are 10-1, we are tired, let's not kill ourselves these next 2 games or show too much since we will likely see at least one of these 2 teams in the playoffs.  Let's throttle down and take care of the cakewalk at the end of the season and be refreshed and ready to go in the playoffs". 

Probably no, right? But maybe?

No...Maybe that's the approach if you beat the 49ers. But losing to the 49ers made the Dallas game as close to a must win game it could be without being a true must win game.

• Like 1