The players have lost faith in the coaching staff, the signs are everywhere

opa-opa

1 hour ago, Thing3 said:

No...Maybe that's the approach if you beat the 49ers. But losing to the 49ers made the Dallas game as close to a must win game it could be without being a true must win game.

We're lucky just to be 10-3 right now. We should have lost to the Bills. 

25 minutes ago, opa-opa said:

The Chiefs are lucky they won the Super Bowl, they should've lost to the Eagles. See how that works? 

• Like 2

The players know the 25 year old analytic guys are supplying the coaches with the game plans.

That news is breaking.  Howie is basically supplying inferior analytic game plans to the coaches and they are required to follow them.

The players are fed up.  The wheels are falling off 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

To add something that somewhat supports the topic:

IMG_9742.jpeg

Yeah, he is about to lose the team if he doesn't make a change. 14 weeks into the season is long enough for Johnson to try and change things. He can't and needs to go. 

39 minutes ago, weko said:

The players know the 25 year old analytic guys are supplying the coaches with the game plans.

That news is breaking.  Howie is basically supplying inferior analytic game plans to the coaches and they are required to follow them.

The players are fed up.  The wheels are falling off 

Where is the news breaking?

10 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Bills fired their OC a few weeks ago and nobody said it was panicking. The Eagles can and should do the same.

If the rumors are true and BJ is just a puppet of the analytics guys, then firing him wont change nothing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NOTW said:

Swift sucks (he's the 4th leading rusher in the league!)

This part amazes me because of how little we use him in the first half. 

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

The Chiefs are lucky they won the Super Bowl, they should've lost to the Eagles. See how that works? 

True story!!!

Oh wait ... 

:lol:

17 hours ago, EagleFan85 said:

Nick is the biggest issue on this football team. This team has looked unprepared to play in all but maybe two games this season.

The first half of every game this season has been the exact same script. Same plays, same philosophy, and same results. There is no creativity at all on offense. Our head coach has basically come up with one game plan and run it all season. It hasn't worked in the first half yet.

It looks like we don't prepare for the team we are facing but rather run the offense through analytics. There is no football philosophy or strategy taking place. We pass so much that we have made both the RPO and play action useless. The RPO requires you to actually run the ball. We run a PPO. Pass pass option.

We essentially have a dozen or so plays that we have been running all season long. The top three are as follows.

QB draw

Brotherly Shove

Deep ball to Brown or Smitty

And a couple run plays up the middle and a couple sweeps to the outside.

We start games as a one dimensional offense and don't even try to use the ground game until the second half weekly.

As for the Defense. It's worse than bad. We can't stop nobody.

Nick is the head coach. Nick is the issue in my opinion. He makes the game plans, he runs the analytics based approach and he designed this boring mess of an offensive scheme.

This football team has been a mess all season. The last two weeks have been a long time coming.

This post says it all perfectly. This team runs the exact same plays week in and week out. There are no wrinkles. When is the last time you saw an innovative play on Offense??? Johnson/Siri have completely eliminated the RPO and forced Jalen into trying to be something he's not ... a pure passer without much help from a running game. On Defense it's just simply embarrassing ... it's prevent-defense on steroids and hoping the Offense makes a mistake. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it; it's just sit-back on your heels and give them 7-10 yards per play down the field all day long. The #'s are putrid ... Desai just plays his putrid scheme and doesn't care about playing to player's strengths or putting them in better positions to succeed. His "adjustments" seem to come after we are already down by 13-17 points.

May be an image of 1 person, playing football and text that says '. .- Eliot @EliotShorrParks #Eagles 2023 Defense: Points per game: 28th Points per drive: 29th Yards per game: 22nd Turnovers Forced: 21st Passing TDs allowed: 31st 1st Downs by Penalties: 26th 3rd Down Defense: 32nd Reo Red Zone Defense: 30th 9:19AM 12/11/23 from Earth 9K Views'

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, proveagle said:

IMO the core issue with the team is the overall philosophy is passive / reactive.  They don't dictate on either offense or defense and the schemes are overall very simple.  This sits with Sirianni and its his issue to solve.

Offense:  The play designs are all based on a "read" philosphy to make plays look the same and then take what the defense gives you based on how they play it.  Defenses have learned to dictate what they want the Eagles to do based on how they play it and then they change it up on the fly post snap.  This makes Hurts indecisive and takes time to adjust and leads to him holding the ball.  The defenses force the Eagles to have to throw long routes way too much.  Outside of this the whole design is flawed with lack of appropriate hot routes and uncreative play design to get playmakers open in space in ~2secs.  Look at all those other teams that do that?

Defense: Simple concepts. Bend but don't break.  No aggression.  Don't dictate to the offense.  Poor job taking away what the opposing QB relies on the most.  Also have an investment issue here - the back 7 lack good talent and the team isn't doing a great job growing that talent.  Many teams in the league playing rookies in the secondary that look a lot better than what the Eagles are getting from their young talent.

Overall philosophically they are a very passive team in their schemes.  Passive schemes IMO breed passive players.  Eagles football has never been passive, especially on D they need to Fing fix it.

I like your take here.  For the offense, I also wonder why there seems to be a lack of creativity, hot reads, getting other players involved, etc.  Is it because Siri isn't capable of designing such an offense and instead "keeps it simple"?  Or does he not design such an offense because he feels he needs to keep things simple for Hurts?  I.e., Hurts' strengths may not include being a quick processer/decision maker so therefore he sticks to the "read" philosophy because it's easier?  It's a fair question.

Also, when defenses know they only have to defend 3 guys in pass coverage, it certainly makes it easier.  They need to start involving other players on the regular.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, opa-opa said:

I think we were extremely lucky to get the win against Dallas in week 9. I certainly didn't walk away from that game thinking we had a clear edge over Dallas.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Bills fired their OC a few weeks ago and nobody said it was panicking. The Eagles can and should do the same.

See, I don't think it is all BJ though.  I honestly think the problem is more on Nick.  Nick designs the offense, BJ calls the plays.  This is likely why Nick won't fire him...he knows that a lot of blame rests on himself. 

They need a new architect for the offense.  Then, let's see how the play calling goes. 

Not opposed to making changes...but I don't think firing BJ does anything unless the entire offensive scheme is overhauled. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, opa-opa said:

Where is the news breaking?

insiders are posting specifics and sources on you tube 

Analytics, whatever! Everybody needs to execute better. Analytics don't mean squat if the coaches are calling crap plays. The Eagles have enough good players on offense and defense they should dictate the flow of the game. It shouldn't matter what the opposing team is throwing at them. Players need to go out and make plays. Stop turning the ball over. Tackle, pressure, and defend. Right now they look tired and slow. It's like the entire team has lost their edge. 

53 minutes ago, Thing3 said:

I think we were extremely lucky to get the win against Dallas in week 9. I certainly didn't walk away from that game thinking we had a clear edge over Dallas.

Looking back at the first Eagles-Cowboys game: I felt the Eagles had clearly won the game, until they lost it playing prevent D on the final Cowboys drive, until they won it by sacking Dak. They were better, but not by coughing up 3 turnovers better.

16 hours ago, judunno said:

Have you not seen the snap counts for the defense floating around the boards especially the last two weeks. It's fact that they are wasted and you can see it in their play. 

maybe if they got off the field they'd have less snaps? 

1 hour ago, The Norseman said:

See, I don't think it is all BJ though.  I honestly think the problem is more on Nick.  Nick designs the offense, BJ calls the plays.  This is likely why Nick won't fire him...he knows that a lot of blame rests on himself. 

They need a new architect for the offense.  Then, let's see how the play calling goes. 

Not opposed to making changes...but I don't think firing BJ does anything unless the entire offensive scheme is overhauled. 

Who picked the 4th down play then? I agree Nick is the problem but Shane did well in the same spot. It does need a new architect next year

5 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Who picked the 4th down play then? I agree Nick is the problem but Shane did well in the same spot. It does need a new architect next year

remember when Doug Pederson went for 4th down all the time? if it works, awesome ! but if you keep doing it...it will fail

Just now, RunItBAck said:

remember when Doug Pederson went for 4th down all the time? if it works, awesome ! but if you keep doing it...it will fail

I mean who picked that play knowing zero was coming 

Just now, Diehardfan said:

I mean who picked that play knowing zero was coming 

right, I'm just saying Siri's decision making is becoming erratic and questionable

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rey said:

This post says it all perfectly. This team runs the exact same plays week in and week out. There are no wrinkles. When is the last time you saw an innovative play on Offense??? Johnson/Siri have completely eliminated the RPO and forced Jalen into trying to be something he's not ... a pure passer without much help from a running game. On Defense it's just simply embarrassing ... it's prevent-defense on steroids and hoping the Offense makes a mistake. There's no rhyme or reason to any of it; it's just sit-back on your heels and give them 7-10 yards per play down the field all day long. The #'s are putrid ... Desai just plays his putrid scheme and doesn't care about playing to player's strengths or putting them in better positions to succeed. His "adjustments" seem to come after we are already down by 13-17 points.

May be an image of 1 person, playing football and text that says '. .- Eliot @EliotShorrParks #Eagles 2023 Defense: Points per game: 28th Points per drive: 29th Yards per game: 22nd Turnovers Forced: 21st Passing TDs allowed: 31st 1st Downs by Penalties: 26th 3rd Down Defense: 32nd Reo Red Zone Defense: 30th 9:19AM 12/11/23 from Earth 9K Views'

Even with all of the complaints about the offense, the eagles are ranked 4th in scoring per game. In fact, they're ranked pretty high in almost all offensive categories. I get that the offense doesn't look as efficient, but tbh "we're fine there."  The issue last season was they started fast and cooled off in the 2nd half, and this year it's the opposite. 

As the tweet clearly shows, the problem with this team is the defense.  

16 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Hard to know for sure, but I think Shane probably did a lot more architecting behind the scenes and understood how to read defenses a lot better on the field.

All this being said, we were all ready to fire Michael Clay after last year and now he is running one of the best Special team's units we've had in a long time.  There may be something to letting these guys take their beating and learn from their mistakes. 

Glad I don't have to make these decisions.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Norseman said:

Hard to know for sure, but I think Shane probably did a lot more architecting behind the scenes and understood how to read defenses a lot better on the field.

All this being said, we were all ready to fire Michael Clay after last year and now he is running one of the best Special team's units we've had in a long time.  There may be something to letting these guys take their beating and learn from their mistakes. 

Glad I don't have to make these decisions.  

Desai does need to be fired though. 

13 minutes ago, MF POON said:

Even with all of the complaints about the offense, the eagles are ranked 4th in scoring per game. In fact, they're ranked pretty high in almost all offensive categories. I get that the offense doesn't look as efficient, but tbh "we're fine there."  The issue last season was they started fast and cooled off in the 2nd half, and this year it's the opposite. 

As the tweet clearly shows, the problem with this team is the defense.  

I think everyone sees the defense is the biggest problem but those problems largely stem from personnel. You can't expect the front 4 to get it done play after play week after week and you can't expect the DC to polish a turd. My issue with the offense is not about them not scoring. It's how they score when they do. They certainly aren't helping our defense any. If our defense was better I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about the offensive play calling.

1 minute ago, Thing3 said:

I think everyone sees the defense is the biggest problem but those problems largely stem from personnel. You can't expect the front 4 to get it done play after play week after week and you can't expect the DC to polish a turd. My issue with the offense is not about them not scoring. It's how they score when they do. They certainly aren't helping our defense any. If our defense was better I wouldn't be nearly as concerned about the offensive play calling.

It's obvious we don't have the personnel to fit the scheme, so change the scheme. You'd expect the coaches to put the players in a better position to have success, but they have yet to do so.