Total clown show out there today

jmac+djaxallday

This offense is built for a pocket passer.  The league, by and large, is still built for pocket passers.  Hurts either can't or won't commit to consistently playing from pocket, and he hasn't been explosive enough as a runner to offset that.  He's the single biggest limiting factor on this football team right now, and unless that changes, you can kiss the season goodbye.  I think he'd be well-served to lighten the load in the weight room this summer and try to get quicker.  

The running back room is one of the worst in the league.  Swift is a solid #2 back on a good team but typically crumbles at the first hint of contact.  It's still a very effective running game overall, but not good enough to negate the limitations at QB.

Sirianni deserves a lot of blame as well.  I frankly think he's been given too much of a pass.  If he were that great a coach, he wouldn't be standing idle as the season went by the wayside with a rookie coordinator.  He either knows the problems on offense are personnel related or lacks the confidence in himself to call a better game than Johnson.

My issue with the defense is that the scheme doesn't match the personnel.  You have a group built to rush the QB and plaster receivers with tough, physical coverage on the outside.  The goal should be to consistently create negative plays, even if it means giving up a big one now and again.  Instead, they've taken the complete opposite approach.  They seem content to hand the opponent five yards on first down and another four on second down.  It's bend but don't break the entire game until the 4th quarter when they just break.  The coaching and situational awareness is some of the worst I've seen from an Eagles team.  Totally sophomoric approach.

I'm not saying they're incapable of putting it together and making a run, but today's performance might not be enough get them past Arizona next week, much less the heavyweights in the conference.  

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

This offense is built for a pocket passer.  The league, by and large, is still built for pocket passers.  Hurts either can't or won't commit to consistently playing from pocket, and he hasn't been explosive enough as a runner to offset that.  He's the single biggest limiting factor on this football team right now, and unless that changes, you can kiss the season goodbye.  I think he'd be well-served to lighten the load in the weight room this summer and try to get quicker.  

The running back room is one of the worst in the league.  Swift is a solid #2 back on a good team but typically crumbles at the first hint of contact.  It's still a very effective running game overall, but not good enough to negate the limitations at QB.

Well they do have a secret weapon at RB they've been stashing on the DNP list the whole season.....

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

Swift is a solid #2 back on a good team but typically crumbles at the first hint of contact. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

He's exciting but that's not what wins games in January against great defenses.

• Like 1

They could have been the Chiefs and kept struggling with a terrible loss to an inferior division rival at home. They still have issues but they stopped the bleeding and got a win which is half the battle when a team is in a slump. Bad take.

This was not the greatest performance by this team as a whole for sure, but they did win it while everyone they needed to lose has lost or is currently losing. The Ravens are making pocket Purdy look like hot garbage. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

Sirianni deserves a lot of blame as well.  I frankly think he's been given too much of a pass.  If he were that great a coach, he wouldn't be standing idle as the season went by the wayside with a rookie coordinator.  He either knows the problems on offense are personnel related or lacks the confidence in himself to call a better game than Johnson.

My issue with the defense is that the scheme doesn't match the personnel.  You have a group built to rush the QB and plaster receivers with tough, physical coverage on the outside.  The goal should be to consistently create negative plays, even if it means giving up a big one now and again.  Instead, they've taken the complete opposite approach.  They seem content to hand the opponent five yards on first down and another four on second down.  It's bend but don't break the entire game until the 4th quarter when they just break.  The coaching and situational awareness is some of the worst I've seen from an Eagles team.  Totally sophomoric approach.

I'm not saying they're incapable of putting it together and making a run, but today's performance might not be enough get them past Arizona next week, much less the heavyweights in the conference.  

You lost me at "Swift is a solid #2 back”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

You lost me at "Swift is a solid #2 back”. 

If he were a #1, Detroit wouldn't have let him go

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

If he were a #1, Detroit wouldn't have let him go

That’s how you judge a player?

I guess Tom Brady’s not that good because every team passed on him for 6 rounds. 

1 hour ago, T-1000 said:

They could have been the Chiefs and kept struggling with a terrible loss to an inferior division rival at home. They still have issues but they stopped the bleeding and got a win which is half the battle when a team is in a slump. Bad take.

I never said they were a bad team.  The most powerful people in the organization are the ones holding them back, and that's what should concern people.  Sure it was nice to get a win, but they also made all the same mistakes today they've been making all year.  Expectations should be higher.

4 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

That’s how you judge a player?

I guess Tom Brady’s not that good because every team passed on him for 6 rounds. 

If Tom Brady started somewhere for three years before being dealt for a 4th round pick, then yes.

So, let me get this straight... this weekend:

* The Eagles won
* Dallas lost
* San Fran lost
* Eagles are a game clear in the division
* Eagles are still in with a shout of the one seed

Yep, the sky is falling in, right enough. Merry Christmas!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

* The Eagles won
* Dallas lost
* San Fran lost

49ers play DC and the Rams

Hurts is playing like crap and making horrible decisions this year

JB is still playing

Coaching is horrible

They almost found a way to let a bad team win today

So yeah the sky is falling unless there are injuries from other teams 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diehardfan said:

JB is still playing

Coaching is horrible

I really couldn't care less about predictions or things that didn't happen. The Eagles could lose the next two games and I won't care as long as we win every postseason game ... and none of those need to be pretty either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I really couldn't care less about predictions or things that didn't happen. The Eagles could lose the next two games and I won't care as long as we win every postseason game ... and none of those need to be pretty either. 

Agree. But reality is that team isn't up to par and has bad coaching. Injuries are the only thing that can help them bridge the gap at this point. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

JB is still playing

Coaching is horrible

The Rams are still in with a shout and are currently set to make the playoffs
Hurts is still easily a top ten QB, even on a bad day
JB? Bradberry? He's not as horrible as everyone pretends
Coaching looked a lot better today, RBs way more involced in the passing game ,for instance
They didn't find a way to lose, they won the game

Be happy, we can't take home the prom queen every week (is that still a thing? We don't have those here. UK peeps, indulge me. That was an Ian Holloway kind of win, am I right? Not the best, but thanks very much, let's have a coffee) but we still got what what we were looking for

29 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

* The Eagles won
* Dallas lost
* San Fran lost

49ers do have to go cross-country for a 1:00 PM ET game but they are at the Commanders this week.  I SERIOUSLY doubt they lose that one.

The Rams game in Week 18 could be VERY INTERESTING because the Rams could need that game to get a playoff berth.  

Eagles could win the NFC East next Sunday against the Cardinals if the Lions (who are looking to get the 2 seed themselves) beat the Cowboys in Dallas on Saturday night. 

15 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

The Rams are still in with a shout and are currently set to make the playoffs
Hurts is still easily a top ten QB, even on a bad day
Coaching looked a lot better today, RBs way more involced in the passing game ,for instance
They didn't find a way to lose, they won the game

Be happy, we can't take home the prom queen every week (is that still a thing? We don't have those here. UK peeps, indulge me. That was an Ian Holloway kind of win, am I right? Not the best, but thanks very much, let's have a coffee) but we still got what what we were looking for

He gave up every pass on the last drive in Seattle. He gave up the big play today. He is that bad. 

48 minutes ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

If Tom Brady started somewhere for three years before being dealt for a 4th round pick, then yes.

Oh, like Randy Moss. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Agree. But reality is that team isn't up to par and has bad coaching. Injuries are the only thing that can help them bridge the gap at this point. 

Injuries to our team have played a large part in our inconsistent defensive play. We are actually due to get players back (Slay, Maddox, Cunningham, Morrow). In the mean time, Leonard, Ricks, Ringo, and VanSumeren are getting experience in our defense. It doesn't look like Dean is anywhere close to returning yet, which is unfortunate. I felt he was our best tackler at LB, but Leonard seems to be getting comfortable and he's a natural leader. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, kiwinavega said:

I don't believe Bradberry just all of a sudden forgot how to play football. I do think he's having a bad year. If he's on the field, all we can do is hope he plays like he did for most of last year. He just hasn't done that this year. When Slay returns, I'd have no problem giving half of Bradberry's snaps to Ringo. Maybe he can be more effective with a reduced snap percentage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

Bench JB and the defense will improve 

He was kind of moved into a box safety/linebacker role for a lot of the game, but that last drive he was getting torched. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

* The Eagles won
* Dallas lost
* San Fran lost

Thank You for saying this and putting things into perspective.  LOL @ 11-4 with one of the best records in the League and fighting for the #1 Seed after the Losing the Super Bowl being  Clown Show.  The 2023 Eagles have already posted the best Regular Season Record after a Super Bowl Appearance (1981 - 10-6, 2005 - 6-10, 2018, 9-7) in Franchise History. The Eagles are closing in on breaking the 18 Year Streak of no NFC East Team winning back to back since Andy and Donovan (Almost two Decades ago in 2003-2004 Eagles).  Saying Christmas wasn't anything but Great For the Eagles is really overanalyzing the negative and trying to minimize that the Eagles got out of their funk and won a Division Game.   

The only reason it got close was the Eagles own mistakes yet the GMen never really was coming back, the Eagles were in control even when they go close. Tyrod came off the bench and is much more mobile so he gave us some problems over Devito..  (Chiefs and 49ers Fans both had to go home upset on Christmas.  Not Eagles Fans).  Jalen had over 300 Yards passing for the first time in over a month.  The Eagles rushed for over 170 Yards on the ground for the 2nd week in a row.   They put up over 450 Yards of Offense. So they ran the ball and passed the ball effectively.  People love to nitpick wins and blow up anything negative that happen like it was the end of the world.  They made mistakes, it happens every game.  But in the end they shut down the GMen and got the W.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kiwinavega said:

* The Eagles won
* Dallas lost
* San Fran lost

Every year, there is one team that has one of the top record in their division where most of their wins were generated by crazy plays, last minute field goals, unbelievable mistakes by opponent, fortunate penalty calls, or other circumstance that allows them to squeak out win.  Most teams have a win or two like that during the year, but when a team has done it multiple  times, their record doesn't indicate just how average they are.......and are bounced early in the playoffs.

The eagles are a team like that this year......offensive problems that haven't improved over the year, a defense that that gotten worse as the year went on, and a Head coach who refuses to hold his OC accountable.

Yeah, it's OK if you want to cherry pick the positives.....and maybe the sky isn't falling......but if you have your head in the sand, you wouldn't see it anyway.

The eagles are not an impressive team and this was no impressive win against a lousy team at the Linc that took until the last 4 seconds to do it.  

The eagles let the one seed slip away......they let the cowpies creep back into the division race......they still have the same offensive problems they've had all year.  

So should they look at the silver lining or in the mirror?  

• Like 4