Is Jordan Davis a bust?

Ewaeagle

He was picked 13th in the 2022 draft. 

Here's his stats.

GP TOT SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD STF STFYDS KB
13 18 8 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 3.5 1 0
15 41 16 25 2.5 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 6 1 0
28 59 24 35 2.5 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 2 9.5 2 0

I don't know yet but his play as of late has not been that good. We are getting ran over on defense. After today's game where the defense allowed 221 rushing, I don't think Davis is having the affect that we were expecting when he was picked last year. He also hasn't been able to disrupt the pocket on passing downs.

What are your guys' thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No. He's good.

But he's not playing like a stud they traded up for, giving up 3 additional picks (2 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th).

• Like 6

To be fair a lot of the big runs were not up the middle and the rest of the defense wasn't exactly putting on a clinic in tackling. It was a team effort on defense. Lots of poor play all over.

• Like 3

Hes there to clog up the running lanes. Problem is someone still has to tackle the RB.

• Like 5

Was he worth trading up for so early? Maybe not, but he's still a good piece for the future. I wouldn't call him a bust at all especially so early.

• Like 1

To me, he's showing the contributions of an average 5th rounder. So as a 1st round pick, yes, he's a bust so far. He's fat and out of shape, I think that's why he increasingly appears weak at the point of contact as the games go on. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

To me, he's showing the contributions of an average 5th rounder. So as a 1st round pick, yes, he's a bust so far. He's fat and out of shape, I think that's why he increasingly appears weak at the point of contact as the games go on. 

I'd say he's been at least as good as a 2nd rounder.  Yes he wears down, but we knew that coming in.  At some point you have to question whether he's being used correctly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmac+djaxallday said:

I'd say he's been at least as good as a 2nd rounder.  Yes he wears down, but we knew that coming in.  At some point you have to question whether he's being used correctly.

I watch him pretty close when he's in and he's a low effort fatty. He takes up space gives a little push and then stops. He needs a fire lit under his rear end. Shame these pretend coaches won't do it.

• Like 1

Certainly not playing like the draft position he was selected. He was supposed to be a run stuffer and the run defense has turned into one of the worst. He gets hurt a lot as well.

• Like 2

Been disappointing this season. 
him and Carter have flashed, Carter more, but they’ve not been the force we thought they’d be 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rrfierce said:

him and Carter have flashed, Carter more, but they’ve not been the force we thought they’d be 

I see you have Kelce as your logo. Is Kelce excited to retire with the team in shambles?

3 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

The whole team is a bust.

When it looks like that, it's 100% the Head Coach and his staff. It's team culture, and that's the HC.

4 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

I see you have Kelce as your logo. Is Kelce excited to retire with the team in shambles?

You know the answer to that 

No,  he was always gonna be a project, just like Nolan Smith, plus he isn't naturally talented like Carter.  Like Carter though, he suffered from that crazy rotation at Georgia where they really didn't get a ton of playing time, and that's hurting both of them now.   TBF though, Davis's conditioning sucks, that's on him, Rocker, and the strength coach. 

• Like 1

Davis is ok, but taking Kyle Hamilton seems like it should've been the pick. 

• Like 2

Hard to put what I saw out there on any individual players when collectively they looked so bad, but it does seem like for the second year he’s been less productive as the season went on. Overall there were a lot of high priced players (and a few guys who shouldn’t be in the NFL) out there getting rag dolled by the Cardinals today.

• Like 1

I can’t even get on Davis. He’s not getting pushed back. But he’s not getting the penetration he was early in the year. 

but the lbs are SO…. FING….. GODAWFUL! They’re SO SLOW to get into their run fits and read their running lanes. I don’t know if it’s more on coaching than talent or visa versa but I know it’s definitely a combination of the 2. Morrow is SO SLOW to react to what he sees, that by the time he FINALLY gets out of his stance, there’s a lineman on him already. 

and Leonard….. he actually made some plays last week. But today, he looked SO SLOW and played with 0 ferocity or aggressiveness with his run fits. He was CONSTANTLY late to get over to fill gaps that by the time he finally got over, Connor was halfway past him. And then Leonard would compound his tardiness by barely slowing down the rb. Let alone making a tackle, because that seems to be too much to ask of him. 

And above all of that….. I don’t think I’ve ever hated a scheme more than I hate the vaunted "Vic Fangio Scheme”. I swear I don’t know what the hell is so great about it. I don’t Fing get it. 

• Like 3

Davis isn't a bust in the sense that Marcus Smith and Antoine Davis were busts, but he is very disappointing considering his draft position and the picks given up to get him.  He wears down as the game goes on but he should be wearing down the OL considering his size. That's what the great DT's do.  I posted this last week and I'll do it again.  He is a part-time one dimensional player.  No comparison between him and Fletcher Cox at the same point in their careers.  

And his buddy Nolan Smith has been awful.  Smith needs to only play special teams.  He has no pass moves other than running straight into the OT and getting engulfed.  He has a lot of work to do in the offseason.  

• Like 1

I refuse to watch Nic Morrow play another down. Im done.

Just cancelled my Youtube TV.

16 minutes ago, Swimm said:

He sucks and takes plays off. 

Like when he was chasing down Josh Allen?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rrfierce said:

If Jalen Carter has another year like this year we'll be asking is he a bust, seems to me he's been awfully quiet this year based on all the hype he got.

He’s a good player who will start many games for this team.  So he’s not a bust.

Is he going to be more than a run stopping lane clogging DT?  Probably not.  Did they trade up to 13 hoping he’d be more than that?  Yep.  Is this team even good at stopping the run? Nope.  Would the defense be better off with a first round pick invested somewhere other than a run stopping DT?  Yep.

7 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

If Jalen Carter has another year like this year we'll be asking is he a bust, seems to me he's been awfully quiet this year based on all the hype he got.

Carter will win DROY, but that’s still a bit misleading in a year with zero standout defensive rookies.

Theyve got back to back high first round picks in DTs…and the defense sucks, the run defense sucks, and the interior pass rush isn’t there.

So no one really wants to individually criticize youngsters in Davis and Carter, but what have these high draft picks done for this terrible defense?

• Like 1