Is Jordan Davis a bust?

Ewaeagle

With what they gave up to get a DT he absolutely is a bust. Honey gave them about as much and was a late round pick.

• Like 1

Not ready to call him a bust yet.  He's tired.  Our defense is on the field 45 minutes a game. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

Not ready to call him a bust yet.  He's tired.  Our defense is on the field 45 minutes a game. 

Not for nothing, but it would help if he made a play to get off the field. Didn’t see much penetration from the defensive line as a whole today though. Ojomo and Graham and that’s about it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NOTW said:

But he's not playing like a stud they traded up for, giving up 3 additional picks (2 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th).

This goes back to not valuing drafts picks......and all Eagles fans chant "Go Howie Go!!"

• Like 1

Yes and anyone who says otherwise is wrong

• Like 2

How do you evaluate the kid when the defensive coordination is an absolute clown show? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He’s a good player who will start many games for this team.  So he’s not a bust.

Is he going to be more than a run stopping lane clogging DT?  Probably not.  Did they trade up to 13 hoping he’d be more than that?  Yep.  Is this team even good at stopping the run? Nope.  Would the defense be better off with a first round pick invested somewhere other than a run stopping DT?  Yep.

Brodrick Bunkley 2.0

He will probably be a solid player, great against the run but won't be a disruptive playmaker that they hoped they would get. The measurables are off the charts but it won't translate into a 3 down DT. 

It is year 2, but he needs to get fitter and use his size and strength to collapse the pocket more consistently. 

• Like 1

He looked like he had so much potential early in the season. Is he tired? Is he playing hurt? I don’t know what happened. 

12 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

But he’s only playing half the snaps…

• Like 1

This guy has a monster of a frame and plays like a big softy. He could dominate but i don't see any fire or meanstreak.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, toolg said:

He looked like he had so much potential early in the season. Is he tired? Is he playing hurt? I don’t know what happened. 

He could have a bum hamstring that he is playing through after the Bills game and the chase he had. That would contribute to a lack of burst. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Not for nothing, but it would help if he made a play to get off the field. Didn’t see much penetration from the defensive line as a whole today though. Ojomo and Graham and that’s about it. 

I mean I agree, the D-line has under performed in some games.  But our coaches sure aren't helping that any.  

The DC just rushes 4 against 5 or 6 blockers, almost never blitzes, lines the DBs up 10 yards off the line on 3rd and 5, extending the opponent's drive.  The LBs can't cover and can't tackle.  The refs almost never give us a holding call (I almost have to not watch our D-line closely during the our games it's so infuriating).

The OC kills drives in the first half with stupid play calling, refusing to run the ball or spread the ball around/get the short passing game going, making the defense exhausted and vulnerable by the 2nd half...Exhibit A, yesterday's game.  The Cardinals put up 29 of their 35 points in the 2nd half on a gassed defense.  

The defense lacks talent at multiple positions, yet they scapegoat Desai and Patricia also fails, meanwhile somehow the offensive coaches remain unscathed while they crap the bed with an offense loaded with Hall of Famers and All-Pros. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

But he’s only playing half the snaps…

They don't do anything creative on defense.  They just tell their 4 guys to somehow get penetration against the other team's 5 or 6 blockers while getting held every other play, while the back end plays soft scared coverage leaving receivers wide open.  They often play against a mobile QB that isn't going to just fall down like a totem pole if a DT gets penetration. 

Okay, so even half the snaps Davis is playing 20-25 minutes a game due to incompetent coaching and he weighs 340 pounds 😂 Like why not get some sustained drives going in the first half on offense so your defense isn't toast in the second half?  And call some blitzes and some press coverage to give your D-line a chance to get some penetration before a bunch of receivers are running wide open. 

But hey, what do I know?  These geniuses can just keep doing what they're doing and get fired I guess. 

• Like 1

Not a bust, but a huge disappoint IMO. He’s on the same trajectory as Derrick Barnett. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Not a bust, but a huge disappoint IMO. He’s on the same trajectory as Derrick Barnett. 

I think Bunkley was the perfect comparison.  Bad start as a rookie, then settles in as a starting DT who does his job but isn't nearly as disruptive as once hoped based on physical specs.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CheesesteakNBeer said:

This guy has a monster of a frame and plays like a big softy. He could dominate but i don't see any fire or meanstreak.

This is what I have thought ever since I began hearing him talk.  I like to pay attention to how players talk and things they say.  He has a similar demeanor as Andre Dillard, in that he has tools but not the "attitude” to use his God given tools to dominate.  

As for his conditioning…he along with others stated that he worked hard on it during the off-season and everyone was impressed, etc.  So, either that was BS or his desire/fire just isn’t where it needs to be.

• Like 1

To be fair the entire defense has been a "bust" for the last 5 weeks. Except for Reddick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

This is what I have thought ever since I began hearing him talk.  I like to pay attention to how players talk and things they say.  He has a similar demeanor as Andre Dillard, in that he has tools but not the "attitude” to use his God given tools to dominate.  

As for his conditioning…he along with others stated that he worked hard on it during the off-season and everyone was impressed, etc.  So, either that was BS or his desire/fire just isn’t where it needs to be.

I think we are getting what we're going to get with him. Big guy that clogs up the middle and potentially closes gaps in the running game. Any pass rush in college was just that he was so much more talented than the opposition. That isn't going to fly at this level. Hope he proves me wrong i just don't see it.

• Like 2

He’s a nose.  Don’t see the pash rush.  Unfortunately, you can get good noses later in the draft and in the first round you draft guys that wreck the QB.  But maybe I’m wrong.  At this point we should play the 3-4 most of the time and let JD stuff the middle.

Not even close. He was a beast up until the last few games. EVERYONE on defense has sucked the last few weeks. There is something fundamentally wrong with the team right now.

• Like 1

They didn't pick this guy #13 and give up three picks to play 35-40% of the time and be a nonfactor in the pass rush.  Anybody that says this guy is playing ok is crazy.  No way the Eagles pick tgi guy if they knew he would play like this.

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2024 at 9:29 AM, toolg said:

Frankly he hasn't looked the same since he chased down Allen in the Bills game. I think none of these guys have legs at this point. Screwed up the season with the lack of DL rotation and 5 man fronts because of the LBs not being able to stop the run. Toss in the historically bad 3rd down defense because the DBs can't cover and here we are.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Miami said:

He’s a nose.  Don’t see the pash rush.  Unfortunately, you can get good noses later in the draft and in the first round you draft guys that wreck the QB.  But maybe I’m wrong.  At this point we should play the 3-4 most of the time and let JD stuff the middle.

3-4?  Yeah right.