Is Jordan Davis a bust?

Ewaeagle

9 hours ago, judunno said:

Frankly he hasn't looked the same since he chased down Allen in the Bills game.

Yup. My thoughts exactly. It was impressive the way he ran down Allen. Fell down hard. He hasn't been the same since.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, judunno said:

3-4?  Yeah right.

Sorry, meant the 5-2 where JD can play the nose.

1 hour ago, Miami said:

Sorry, meant the 5-2 where JD can play the nose.

Yeah.. I'm fine with doing everything to stop the run. They're going to give up the pass regardless what they do. At least if we're getting torched in the Air the Offense can get some opportunities. 40+ minutes of TOP is a killer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toolg said:

Yup. My thoughts exactly. It was impressive the way he ran down Allen. Fell down hard. He hasn't been the same since.

I get the sense that Davis, and a number of these players on defense aren't in shape to hold up for a whole season.  I put that on the coaches.

• Like 3

On 1/1/2024 at 9:41 AM, CheesesteakNBeer said:

This guy has a monster of a frame and plays like a big softy. He could dominate but i don't see any fire or meanstreak.

per nfl.com draft profile

Weaknesses

• Occasional leverage issues due to his height.
  • Can be a little straight-legged into lateral engagement.
  • Below-average first-step quickness.
  • Lacks knee bend to roll downhill with bull rush.
  • Change of direction is not a thing for him.
  • Can't disengage and tackle suddenly.
  • Redirected due to lack of bend in his rush.

Unfortunately sounds like he performed in college off being bigger, not gonna work in the NFL. The lack of explosion / quickness is a big concern...at best a glorified run stuffer...will never possess the lateral movement to be a passrusher imo.

Dude is built like a OT and probably would be a hell of a OL player if he didn't move like he's in quicksand

27d1a1d1735c058d686820493206f3e5b8531dc3

AP22339599242115.jpg?w=525

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'd contemplate sitting him this week and look to play Williams and Ojomo more. He doesn't look right and maybe the week off will do him the world of good. 

• Like 1

Baldy seems to think he’s trending in that direction.

IMG_0185.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

Unfortunately sounds like he performed in college off being bigger, not gonna work in the NFL. The lack of explosion / quickness is a big concern...at best a glorified run stuffer...will never possess the lateral movement to be a passrusher imo.

Dude is built like a OT and probably would be a hell of a OL player if he didn't move like he's in quicksand

JD can move. He showed his athleticism at the combine and early in the season. He has the speed of a 250 lb. linebacker in a much larger frame. But he doesn't change direction well and he doesn't have a strong move to power through guys. One quick burst isn't going to beat most NFL lineman. I am thinking the coaches hoped his speed would help develop his pass rush abilities, but it hasn't really happened.

On 12/31/2023 at 4:37 PM, NOTW said:

No. He's good.

But he's not playing like a stud they traded up for, giving up 3 additional picks (2 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th).

This was brought up in the blog thread and I agree with this. He's definitely not playing as expected

Normally people would say that mean he's a bust but they're adding all these excuses. Is he hurt? Could he be better? Possible but for now he's not playing how we expected

• Like 2

I think the Eagles were expecting a Dexter Lawrence type of player.  Lawrence was drafted 17th.   Davis may be faster than Lawrence in a straight line but he isn't the same athlete.  Would be crazy to give up on Davis now but it is not crazy to expect a whole lot more than he has been giving.

• Like 2

Where he was taken, Davis is a bust. Unless someone just runs into him for a tackle ... he's not doing much else. He doesn't want it ... like Baldy said, he's fat and out of shape. It's a shame, because he has great natural tools to be a dominant player, but he clearly doesn't work hard on staying in NFL shape or cardio. Wasted talent who's likely out of the league in another 2-3 years.

• Haha 1

His second year stats are comparable to Cox’s. Except Davis has about 300 less snaps. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Davis is a bust. Think he’s far from it and has shown most of the year he’s a good player. But this does bring up a good topic of once Desai is fired who from the coaching staff should be keep? 

Should we keep Rocker as the dline coach? Can’t say we’ve seen a bunch of growth from the dline under him. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RunItBAck said:

per nfl.com draft profile

Weaknesses

• Occasional leverage issues due to his height.
  • Can be a little straight-legged into lateral engagement.
  • Below-average first-step quickness.
  • Lacks knee bend to roll downhill with bull rush.
  • Change of direction is not a thing for him.
  • Can't disengage and tackle suddenly.
  • Redirected due to lack of bend in his rush.

27d1a1d1735c058d686820493206f3e5b8531dc3

AP22339599242115.jpg?w=525

This reads like a 5 th or 6th round profile

22 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I don’t think Davis is a bust. Think he’s far from it and has shown most of the year he’s a good player. But this does bring up a good topic of once Desai is fired who from the coaching staff should be keep? 

Should we keep Rocker as the dline coach? Can’t say we’ve seen a bunch of growth from the dline under him. 

Can we get the guy who was the Dline coach during Schwartz tenure? Dline was a freaking beast with him

Not every top 15 draft pick turns out to be the next Micah Parsons....

33 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Can we get the guy who was the Dline coach during Schwartz tenure? Dline was a freaking beast with him

Chris Wilson. He’s going to be the DC of the Houston Roughnecks this year. He’s bounced around since his time here. I don’t know if he did anything special for us or if it was a product of gym Schowrtz system and a more attacking dline vs read and react with Desai. 

We set the sack record with Rocker as the dline coach but I can’t see development from the dline. Could just be Desai and not Rocker. Idk. 

• Like 1

The only thing the DL has done as a whole lately is lose contain and get zero pass rush. It's pretty short sighted to be critiquing only JD when literally no one else around him is doing their jobs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bitbased said:

The only thing the DL has done as a whole lately is lose contain and get zero pass rush. It's pretty short sighted to be critiquing only JD when literally no one else around him is doing their jobs.

To be honest I'm not that comfortable criticising the D Line when the asshat the front office parachuted in as D coordinator is dropping 35 year old rotational defensive ends into coverage.

The whole defense is a mess, that has a severe depth deficiency and Howie/Lurie made the situation infinitely worse by dropping in the front office handbrake they installed in the close season in response to letting Sirianni appoint his own choice of DC ahead of Wilson.

Every crap decision of the last year is now coming home to roost.

• Like 1

His 3rd year will be the most important for his career evaluation. The "he's still getting used to the NFL," retort won't apply. He won't ever be a 6+ sack player. His conditioning, drive and internal fire will always be questioned. So, he has to mitigate those obstacles. I still think he would be a lot better if he was 300-320 in weight. I just want to see him paired with above average to good LBs.

In my book, the team is not using him properly.  When the Eagles D line functions at its best, the lineman are heavily rotated.  Davis has had too many snaps and it shows.

39 minutes ago, Procus said:

In my book, the team is not using him properly.  When the Eagles D line functions at its best, the lineman are heavily rotated.  Davis has had too many snaps and it shows.

Your saying that 40% of the snaps for a 23 year old is too many?  In that case you don't draft somebody #13 and give up three picks in the process.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Eagles1960 said:

Your saying that 40% of the snaps for a 23 year old is too many?  In that case you don't draft somebody #13 and give up three picks in the process.

Davis, Carter and Williams are all at about the 40% mark. But it's also the total number of snaps that they're out there. This article from the 9th of December sums up the slump.

https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jordan-davis-jalen-carter-embracing-increasing-snap-counts/551315/

They're playing more snaps than young interior DL their age. 

It's unfair to expect these guys to adjust to NFL conditioning in one or two off-seasons. Carter had never played 400 snaps in college and is not having the same impact he was when he was fresh earlier in the year. 

So the percentage may not be unreasonable, but the total number when the D can't get off the field could be too high 

He's doing pretty well.  Top 1/4 PFF.  70.5.   31/131 DI.

Is DeVonta Smith a bust?

Top 1/3 PFF.  72.0.  41/124 WR.

Fewer WRs and more above Smith per PFF. 

And Smith was drafted higher than Davis  1/10 instead of 1/13.

3 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

He's doing pretty well.  Top 1/4 PFF.  70.5.   31/131 DI.

Is DeVonta Smith a bust?

Top 1/3 PFF.  72.0.  41/124 WR.

Fewer WRs and more above Smith per PFF. 

And Smith was drafted higher than Davis  1/10 instead of 1/13.

There are lies.  There are damn lies.  Then there are statistics.