Is Jordan Davis a bust?

Ewaeagle

6 hours ago, Eagles1960 said:

There are lies.  There are damn lies.  Then there are statistics.

sure.

Neither Jordan Davis nor DeVonta Smith are anywhere near close to "Bust".

That's the answer.

1 hour ago, Random Reglar said:

sure.

Neither Jordan Davis nor DeVonta Smith are anywhere near close to "Bust".

That's the answer.

I never said Davis was a bust.  Just quite disappointing and way underperforming based on his drafts status and the picks given up to acquire him.  He is out of shape.  I base that not on pictures but that he was fairly dominating the beginning of the year and then completely trailed off as the season went  longer.  Same with last year.  The NFL isn't going to accommodate  Jordan Davis by reducing the season to 12-14 games.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eagle45 said:

He's a disappointment, not a bust.  

This. 

He's not ready done anything all that impressive. 

• Like 1

Was Brandon Graham a bust?:facepalm:

• Like 3

Jordan Davis played 17 snaps (25%) against the Giants.  I sure hope the Eagles didn't tire him out too much and he will be able to play against Tampa.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 5:35 PM, Ewaeagle said:

He was picked 13th in the 2022 draft. 

Here's his stats.

GP TOT SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD STF STFYDS KB
13 18 8 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 3.5 1 0
15 41 16 25 2.5 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 6 1 0
28 59 24 35 2.5 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 2 9.5 2 0

I don't know yet but his play as of late has not been that good. We are getting ran over on defense. After today's game where the defense allowed 221 rushing, I don't think Davis is having the affect that we were expecting when he was picked last year. He also hasn't been able to disrupt the pocket on passing downs.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I do not think that Jordan Davis is a bust, he's a great Nose Tackle that is fantastic at stopping the run. I think that people expected him to be Fletcher Cox or Jalen Carter type of pass rushing DT and when he was drafted was a bit of a reach but I wouldn't say he was a bust.

Do people really think that?

1 hour ago, JournalistMic said:

I do not think that Jordan Davis is a bust, he's a great Nose Tackle that is fantastic at stopping the run. I think that people expected him to be Fletcher Cox or Jalen Carter type of pass rushing DT and when he was drafted was a bit of a reach but I wouldn't say he was a bust.

Do people really think that?

Most people, including myself, view him as a disappointment, not a bust.  The feeling is (mine anyway) that the Eagles didn't pick him just to be a part-time run stuffer at #13 plus the picks they gave up.  They expected more.  If they expected what they have received so far then they picked him too high.  I thought he looked good in the 1st QTR on Sunday.  They should have let him play almost the entire game.  Get him in shape by playing him in shape.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:12 PM, Eagles1960 said:

Most people, including myself, view him as a disappointment, not a bust.  The feeling is (mine anyway) that the Eagles didn't pick him just to be a part-time run stuffer at #13 plus the picks they gave up.  They expected more.  If they expected what they have received so far then they picked him too high.  I thought he looked good in the 1st QTR on Sunday.  They should have let him play almost the entire game.  Get him in shape by playing him in shape.  

That's fair I guess, but do you know how many first round picks remain starters in the NFL by year 5?
I think NT Jordan Davis will be an NFL starter in year five and fight for a ProBowl spot that being said talk of being a bust is simply crazy talk to me.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:35 PM, Ewaeagle said:

He was picked 13th in the 2022 draft. 

Here's his stats.

GP TOT SOLO AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG TD LNG PD STF STFYDS KB
13 18 8 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 3.5 1 0
15 41 16 25 2.5 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 1 6 1 0
28 59 24 35 2.5 1 0 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 2 9.5 2 0

I don't know yet but his play as of late has not been that good. We are getting ran over on defense. After today's game where the defense allowed 221 rushing, I don't think Davis is having the affect that we were expecting when he was picked last year. He also hasn't been able to disrupt the pocket on passing downs.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Have you seen our LBs play? Slay is hurt and other than Blankenship do we have anyone who tackles??? 

I wanted Hamilton so I'm biased but I believe if you're supposed to keep your weight at a certain number and you are CONSTANTLY above that number 

and not by a little, then you don't play and game check is withheld. I felt this was going to be a problem for him and it is...Christ a 1st round 

pick that can't plat 17 plays without looking like a folding chair...please.

I'm not sure why anybody expected him to be an NFL standout during his 1st two seasons. He was far from a finished product in college and it was his athleticism that elevated his draft status. While I would have liked to have seen his production sustained from early in the season to late, I did like the improvements he did make from year 1 to year 2. His snap percentage increased a lot. That will help inspire him to continue to work on his conditioning in the offseason. There is progress --- it just needs to continue. He seems to be a high character guy and I expect him to put in the work to keep improving. 

I know a lot of people that were fans in the '80s think highly of Jerome Brown to this day, but many seemed to have forgotten the criticisms around him his first 2 seasons. He was accused of being fat, out of shape, lazy, and taking downs off. Honestly, with the talent around him, he under-performed in those (1st two) seasons. Obviously, in those days defensive line rotations weren't much of a thing, but teams were able to properly condition players in the offseason, preseason, camp and practices that are very limited by today's CBA. 

I'm not saying Davis is the next Brown. I'm just reminding people that some first round picks take a few years to fulfill their potential.