Week one - Eagles play in Brazil

Procus

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-announces-eagles-as-designated-team-for-brazil-game

NFL announces Eagles as designated team for Brazil game

Published: Feb 05, 2024 at 06:25 PM

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced on Monday that the Philadelphia Eagles are the designated team for the league's first-ever game in São Paulo, Brazil.

The Eagles' game in South America will take place during Week 1 against an opponent that will be revealed before the full 2024 regular-season schedule is released in the spring. The game will be played on Friday, Sept. 6, 2024, the first time the NFL has played a game on Friday night of Week 1 in over 50 years (Cardinals at Rams, Sept. 18, 1970).

"This landmark first international game in South America demonstrates the ongoing expansion of our global footprint," Goodell said in a press release. "Playing on Friday night of Week 1 is a unique way to highlight our international growth and ambitions."

The NFL announced in December that the league would play a regular-season game in Brazil during the 2024 season. The game will be played in Corinthians Arena, which has hosted a number of notable sporting events, including six matches during the 2014 FIFA Men's World Cup.

"The league's decision to play the game in the first week of the NFL 2024 season is a true testament to their confidence in our work as host city," said Ricardo Nunes, mayor of São Paulo. "Having this historic spectacle on the eve of Independence Day and driving a great economic impact and job creation for São Paulo, will spotlight our city as a globally relevant destination for the world's most exciting sport and entertainment events."

The Eagles join the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars and Carolina Panthers as designated teams for the 2024 International Games. The Bears, Vikings and Jaguars are designated teams for games in London, while the Panthers are the designated team for Munich.

"The Eagles organization is honored to have been selected to play in the first-ever National Football League game in South America," said Jeffrey Lurie, Philadelphia Eagles chairman and chief executive officer. "With the global growth of our sport being a top priority to our league, we embrace the opportunity to grow our fanbase around the world and bring Eagles football to the 38 million sports fans in Brazil. As one of the world's most culturally diverse nations, Brazil is an international melting pot, and we look forward to experiencing its warm, vibrant and welcoming environment later this year."

• Angry 5

Cool. We lose a home game to go play somewhere that nobody gives a crap about football. F you Goodell. We got screwed on schedule this year and they starting early next year. horse sht.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Diehardfan said:

Do they lose a home game for that BS

Yep. It's complete crap.

• Angry 1

I'd chill with the losing home game complaining.  It's a 17 game season and the Eagles are designated with 9 home games and 8 away games.  Half of the teams in the league have 9 home games and 8 away games.  Of those half, a good chunk have one game overseas.  So the Eagles will still have a balanced schedule with 8 games at the Linc, 8 games on their opponent's field, and one game in Brazil.

The Brazil game is a Friday night game, so the team will have some extra rest for the next week - and it won't be jet lagged since there's no significant time zone change to speak of.

• Like 4

It's an extra home game the Eagles lose.  Personally, I would have it where all teams play one neutral site game per season to account for the International games, with such perhaps being usually interconference games played at a site both teams fans can get to if it is not an international games (Eagles-Steelers or Giants-Steelers at Beaver Stadium at Penn State for one example, Jets-Giants in The Meadowlands where half the tickets go to each team, Jets-Commanders at the Linc, etc.). 

This is a Friday night game because of a scheduling quirk that without penalty allows the NFL to play a Friday night or Saturday game in Week 1 in 2024 and '25 as the restrictions that normally bar such to protect high school and college football do not take affect until the second Friday or Saturday in September.  If this becomes permanent, I suspect the NFL will in 2026 open the season on Wednesday with the Brazil game the next night.

NFL should also make Thursday Night Football in Week 2 between teams that played Thursday or Friday night in Week 1.  

5 minutes ago, Procus said:

I'd chill with the losing home game complaining.  It's a 17 game season and the Eagles are designated with 9 home games and 8 away games.  Half of the teams in the league have 9 home games and 8 away games.  Of those half, a good chunk have one game overseas.  So the Eagles will still have a balanced schedule with 8 games at the Linc, 8 games on their opponent's field, and one game in Brazil.

The Brazil game is a Friday night game, so the team will have some extra rest for the next week - and it won't be jet lagged since there's no significant time zone change to speak of.

Right.  Brazil is one hour ahead of the US (Atlantic Time). 

Depending on who plays the Thursday night opener in Week 1 AND if the Eagles play such during the regular season, I would then even if its a short week following Brazil playing on Thursday Night Football in Week 2.  That would allow the Eagles to play TNF on close to normal rest and then have 10 days before Week 3. 

7 minutes ago, Procus said:

Its still dumb. Making the team travel to a place where nobody gives a crap about them or football. And a friday night game? This is stupid. Plus this was our year where we get to start the season at home. That has been robbed from us the fans.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Its still dumb. Making the team travel to a place where nobody gives a crap about them or football. And a friday night game? This is stupid.

The NFL is trying to expand the game globally.  It's why the NBA plays a game in Mexico and a game in France and the NFL plays five games in Europe every season.

Speaking of Europe, I'd likely to see one of THOSE games be the "Black Friday" game.  

• Like 1

Look for the opponent to be either the Steelers or Browns.  They are the only two Eagles home opponents who have 9 away games in 2024 and who aren't designated as having an international home game.

• Like 1

Does this at least excuse us from our TNF obligation?

9 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Does this at least excuse us from our TNF obligation?

No, and in fact the Eagles can be on Thursday twice on short rest during the season (if the Eagles are playing Thanksgiving and the following Thursday night, they can be on Thursday night one additional time as well).  Anyone playing a Week 1 Thursday or in this case Friday night game can be on TNF at least two other times and even potentially three if playing a Thursday night game on normal rest.  

4 minutes ago, wrestlevessel said:

When will the NY Giants lose a home game?

I noticed Johnny Walker Jerruh  doesnt lose home games.

Does this mean that Lurie is planning on moving the Eagles south like the Jags are planning on moving East? :huh: 

So Fletcher Cox is coming back on a team friendly deal?

No way he misses out on all that Brazilian chach.

11 hours ago, Procus said:

To me it’s not a matter of losing a home game.  It is dumb for Goodell to keep forcing the NFL into these international markets (save the $$ BS … I get that … but it does put the players at a disadvantage with the length of the travel time and with "player safety” being so much at the forefront of most discussions, I suppose that only applies to situations where there isn’t extra $ to be made).  It is called the NATIONAL football league for a reason … not the International football league.  

OK jumping off my soapbox now.  

13 minutes ago, Iggles25 said:

So Fletcher Cox is coming back on a team friendly deal?

No way he misses out on all that Brazilian chach.

Any Brasilophile will tell you the best place to go hunting for Brasileiras is in Rio, not Sao Paulo.  That being said, there are great Thermas (look it up) all over the country.

• Like 1

1. The players would rather play a game in São Paulo than Philly.  Just ask Slay.

2. Lurie almost certainly had buy-in on this one.

3. It’s 2 extra days rest.  

4.  I get it.  Philly fans are the losers here.  No one there cares aside from the novelty and the most rabid fans in the nfl lose a home game.

5.  On the bright side, if 2024 is anything like 2023, we may not want another home game.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:

The NFL is trying to expand the game globally.  It's why the NBA plays a game in Mexico and a game in France and the NFL plays five games in Europe every season.

Speaking of Europe, I'd likely to see one of THOSE games be the "Black Friday" game.  

So play a preseason game there. Premier league has matches here to try and bring soccer here more. But they are friendlies. They dont count for anything.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Procus said:

Any Brasilophile will tell you the best place to go hunting for Brasileiras is in Rio, not Sao Paulo.  That being said, there are great Thermas (look it up) all over the country.

The dude abides.

I dated a woman in south FL for five years whose parents were from Minas Gerais.

Those were great times.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

I hate this international woke bs that Goodell and the nfl keep pushing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Lman said:

I hate this international woke bs that Goodell and the nfl keep pushing.

It's actually ruthless greed trying to make more money for the league at the expense of the fans who care most, then shrouded under a blanket of woke bs.

Sort of the worst of both sides of the aisle shoved down the common fan's throat at once.

• Like 1