Week one - Eagles play in Brazil

Procus

4 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

Ya gotta remember that more than a few Europeans migrated to Brazil in the mid - late 1940s. Some of them weren't so savory. There was a significant German presence in Brazil prior to WWII which might be why Brazil was attractive to Herr Mengele and his ilk.

That was South America in general.  Not only Brazil, but Argentina to a much larger extent along with Paraguay and Uruaguay

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 4:14 PM, time2rock said:

SOFA

KING

DUMB

It's not just dumb.. it's Sofa King Dumb! 

I dunno. On one it its sucks, but on the other... if you had to choose a team to represent the NFL on a global stage in Brazil... it's kind of an honor for Eagles fans everywhere. Image the E-A-G-L-E-S chant.... so yeah.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 4:30 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So I’m assuming this is a home game we’ve given up? Damn! 

Yes, and the Eagles are one of the last teams to give up a home game.

As said, what the NFL should do is go to an 8-8-1 setup with all teams playing one neutral site game (that normally would be an interconference game) played if not an international game at a site close to where fans of both teams can get to with half the tickets given to each team.  

• Like 1

IMG_0820.thumb.jpeg.3341c541d0721ea823ad00374a6840f4.jpeg

You know it’s coming!  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hopefully we get another international game in 2025

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:50 PM, Godfather said:

Win the games you should win. Who gives a f if it's a home or away game

The people who attend those games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

The people who attend those games.

They can buy a ticket to Brazil and watch it then

• Confused 2

On 2/5/2024 at 5:59 PM, Iggles25 said:

The dude abides.

I dated a woman in south FL for five years whose parents were from Minas Gerais.

Those were great times.

maxresdefault.jpg

This must be the medical staff. More photos please. LOL

On 2/5/2024 at 10:16 PM, Godfather said:

Oh no one less home game. Waa, waa

Cry me a river. Who fn cares

I would imagine all the people that work at the stadium care quite a bit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dweedlebug said:

I would imagine all the people that work at the stadium care quite a bit.

Oh no. Poor people. I'm sure working Wrestlemania 40 at the Linc will make up for losing an extra home game

• Haha 1

awesome, last international game we played in London, Lane and Jalen Mills both sustained pretty serious injuries. Can't wait to see which 2-3 starters we lose for the entire season in this game

Remember when we thought there's no way they'll move games away from broadcast TV to streaming services? Then came Amazon. Then Peacock. By 2025 I'd wager half nationally televised NFL games will be streaming only. International games are going the same way.

The league couldn't care less if the fan base here at home is happy. The domestic market is fully matured, but the international market is wide open.

It is what it is and it's never going back. 

On 2/5/2024 at 8:15 PM, time2rock said:

To me it’s not a matter of losing a home game.  It is dumb for Goodell to keep forcing the NFL into these international markets (save the $$ BS … I get that … but it does put the players at a disadvantage with the length of the travel time and with "player safety” being so much at the forefront of most discussions, I suppose that only applies to situations where there isn’t extra $ to be made).  It is called the NATIONAL football league for a reason … not the International football league.  

OK jumping off my soapbox now.  

I think we're dinosaurs at this stage.  There's a push to internationalize American football.  It already has happened with basketball and baseball - and hockey didn't originate in the U.S.  It's really popular overseas and there's a big push to expand it's reach.  Seems inevitable to me.

18 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Remember when we thought there's no way they'll move games away from broadcast TV to streaming services? Then came Amazon. Then Peacock. By 2025 I'd wager half nationally televised NFL games will be streaming only. International games are going the same way.

The league couldn't care less if the fan base here at home is happy. The domestic market is fully matured, but the international market is wide open.

It is what it is and it's never going back. 

Not really breaking news. Several of the TV networks - ESPN, FOX and NBC that I can recall are talking about forming their own streaming sports network. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

On 2/6/2024 at 10:26 AM, kiwinavega said:

What did you think was going to happen when the regular season expanded to 17 games? Give it five years and all NFL teams will have an overseas game every year. London alone could sell out Wembley (just under 90k seats when adapted for an NFL game) a couple more times, and Tottenham Stadium (60k-ish) was partly designed as an NFL stadium. So, say two more. That´s 5 already. Berlin and Munich and Barcelona could easily sell out, that´s 8. Two in Mexico City, two more in Sao Paolo gives you 12. Throw in perhaps Toronto, Croke Park in Dublin both viable. That´s 14. You only need two more. Honolulu and Tokyo?

I know some people are talking about the Premier League having preseason friendlies in the US and elsewhere, but the PL did actually float the idea of having a 39th game, to be played overseas. The reason that didn´t fly (pardon the pun) is because in that league, each team plays each other team twice - once home, once away. there was no obvious way to make the 39th game work in the schedule without clearly favouring some teams over others, and there was a big fan backlash. With the NFL, as I remember fans were actively bemoaning having four preseason games and wanted more meaningful football. This is the result.

Finally, as an overseas fan, when the Eagles came to London I had one of the best weekends of my life. I was hearing Go Birds everywhere I went. I met fans from all over the US and elsewhere, I felt among my people. It was a once in a lifetime experience and I will never forget it. I don´t think that some of you in the US realise how much we value these games. 

Madrid confirmed for 2025... they are stacking up now https://www.marca.com/en/nfl/2024/02/09/65c6683de2704eb0598b45d8.html

What would you guys say is the likelihood game 2 is in Philly? Trying to plan a trip to Philly for the home opener 😅

33 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

What would you guys say is the likelihood game 2 is in Philly? Trying to plan a trip to Philly for the home opener 😅

Wallyhorse would probably know.

Wally -- are you online??

53 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

@Wallyhorse

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

Less than 50% since the Phillies are home that weekend. There would be a chance the Eagles would get a Monday game, but I think that’s unlikely given their opening week.

22 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Less than 50% since the Phillies are home that weekend. There would be a chance the Eagles would get a Monday game, but I think that’s unlikely given their opening week.

Actually, the Eagles could also play at home on Thursday in Week 2 but I suspect MLB would want that date kept "open" in case a rainout had to be made up that day (yes, I know last year the Phillies were originally supposed to play the Braves at home that Thursday that wound up the Eagles home opener but the Phils were in St. Louis the next day and I think they preferred playing that Monday as opposed to Thursday).  

More likely, I see the Eagles playing Week 2 in Dallas against the Cowboys and that is the Amazon Prime Thursday night opener with the Eagles flying straight to Texas from Brazil and practicing for that game there, then getting 10 days off before their Week 3 game that would be their home opener. 

There is no way the Eagles would get a Thursday game in week two. The league isn’t going to give a team (whoever you are proposing would be the Eagles opponent) two fewer days of rest. And they’re not going to make a team play on a Thursday after flying eight hours the previous week.

No way.

• Like 1