Round 2 #40: Eagles trade up to select Iowa DB Cooper DeJean

Portyansky

27 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

It's another solid pick on the scouting, but our inside line backers still look make do and mend and that is behind an even thinner interior defensive line than last year, I'm surprised we gave up a second rounder to get another corner.

Yeah I am too. I get that DeJean athletically tested well and that his tape shows a good play maker. I just don’t love that he isn’t elite at anything and in fact nobody is even sure what position he will play.

59 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I am too. I get that DeJean athletically tested well and that his tape shows a good play maker. I just don’t love that he isn’t elite at anything and in fact nobody is even sure what position he will play.

POSITIVES

— Elite athlete with excellent size for the cornerback position. Possesses the desired top-end speed and movement skills for the NFL.

— Has very good vision and route recognition. Puts himself in a good position with proper spacing and leverage. Able to read and react to quarterbacks eyes.

He is an ElITE athlete that can do anything you ask him to do 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

POSITIVES

— Elite athlete with excellent size for the cornerback position. Possesses the desired top-end speed and movement skills for the NFL.

— Has very good vision and route recognition. Puts himself in a good position with proper spacing and leverage. Able to read and react to quarterbacks eyes.

One thing he can't do is play inside linebacker, so we're still in the position that if Dean goes down, our Linebackers are walk ons and a vet who isn't what he was. 

4 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

One thing he can't do is play inside linebacker, so we're still in the position that if Dean goes down, our Linebackers are walk ons and a vet who isn't what he was. 

I know, I was hoping for a real linebacker in round 3 myself. So I guess we shall see what they do with all their 4th and 5th rounders. 

9 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I know, I was hoping for a real linebacker in round 3 myself. So I guess we shall see what they do with all their 4th and 5th rounders. 

Taking Jalyx Hunt when Payton Wilson was there baffles me. 

I'll be honest when Eisen said we'd  traded for 40, I guessed they were taking a linebacker or maybe Kris Jenkins because there'd been a run on DT's, it never occurred that they'd double dip at DB. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Taking Jalyx Hunt when Payton Wilson was there baffles me. 

I'll be honest when Eisen said we'd  traded for 40, I guessed they were taking a linebacker or maybe Kris Jenkins because there'd been a run on DT's, it never occurred that they'd double dip at DB. 

Payton Wilson scares me a bit with the having no acl and a bad shoulder at such a violent position. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

POSITIVES

I just don’t see an elite CB. And look I know that he’s highly rated so I’m not saying I will be proven correct here. I think he does a lot of good things but I feel like he’s too stiff and may get exploited at the top level.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don’t see an elite CB. And look I know that he’s highly rated so I’m not saying I will be proven correct here. I think he does a lot of good things but I feel like he’s too stiff and may get exploited at the top level.

I think he fits at safety more but we shall see. 

Couldn't be happier with the pick, my surprise was the 3rd rd. pick. That is where I thought LB for sure and I really wanted Colson, 

I guess we'll see what Howie has planned..maybe  Jaylan Ford , Trotter Jr. ( eh)...Cedric Gray...

15 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

Couldn't be happier with the pick, my surprise was the 3rd rd. pick. That is where I thought LB for sure and I really wanted Colson, 

I guess we'll see what Howie has planned..maybe  Jaylan Ford , Trotter Jr. ( eh)...Cedric Gray...

Colson was off the board by then 

1 minute ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Colson was off the board by then 

I know, I was just stating that he was the LB I hoped we had gotten

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Who needs linebackers when you can have 14 corners and 12 D lineman?! :excited:

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

My concern is the centre of the field when we're playing defense, we're a DT light from last year and the LB room is a wash with last year. 

If they can pick up either Gray or Trotter in the 4th, maybe a guy like Wingo at DT and then Van Pran Granger for OL depth I'd be a boatload more comfortable with where we are. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

My concern is the centre of the field when we're playing defense, we're a DT light from last year and the LB room is a wash with last year. 

If they can pick up either Gray or Trotter in the 4th, maybe a guy like Wingo at DT and then Van Pran Granger for OL depth I'd be a boatload more comfortable with where we are. 

I think a DT like Wingo will be a guy they look into and I agrree with the middle of the field..Trot Jr. isn't that big and his coverage skills aren't ideal but I see so many of us get caught up in nostalgia    of it ( I as well). I think the OL they like one of those kids from N. Dakota.. but I totally agree with you. My ideal day for this would be 

LB: Ford or Gray

RB: Wright or Allen

WR: Washington or Franklin

DT: Wingo or Jefferson

OL: whoever Stout likes I'm good They can trade whatever picks are left for next year ..I think we are low 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LacesOut said:

:flex:

Love it!!

:Eagle_smiley:

We lost value of the high 4th rounder, 66.4 points, to move up for this guy, with lots and lots great other picks still available.  No problem with the player but Hate the value of the  trade to move up. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He is not an elite CB. He gets scared and starts grabbing was the knock on him at CB. That's why all this hype at him at safety. OK fine he would make a good safety. But with so many picks still available, it was stupid to move up and give up 66 points..a 4th rounder to get this one guy. If we stayed at 50 and 53, we could have had two out of Sainristil, Frazier, Mitchell, Sinnott, Hall Jr, Paul, Kneeland, Braswell, Rakestraw, Bullard. All studs at the positions that we need. Edge, DT, OT, TE, Safety, CB. I hate the value of the trade up. I wish that we did not trade up. 

Hope this isn’t a regular occurrence.

IMG_3612.jpeg

Was DeJean another Lurie pick (ala JJAW)?

IMG_1056.jpeg

• Like 1

I predict that this kid is going to sell a lot of Jerseys in Eagles Green. :Eagle_smiley:

Dawkins, Malcom, DeJean is going to join that list. Finally, a safety who can ball. 

Howie's out here trying to recreate the 2002 draft 🤣

I can see why some may not be thrilled about the pick and some of the concerns but for me personally I would have been fine if he was the pick at 22 had Mitchell and Arnold been off the board... I LOVE that we got him in round 2... It's a fairly low risk high reward pick... There were questions about Dickerson when we took him in the second... He was also projected to go higher but injury concerns had him fall... The front office deserves the benefit of the doubt with this choice 

If they don't pick DB's people will cry that they didn't address the secondary, they get 2 of the top 4 guys at the position (one that was projected to be a 1st round pick that they got in the 2nd) and people will still cry. He was never going to last until their next pick so they had to move up to get him, especially with McKinstry going the very next pick. 

• Like 1

He'll play Safety or Slot Corner. I want him in the middle of the field, ball hawking and getting INTs and pass breakups.

Bye Avonte.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It will be interesting to see where he fits in he secondary. He tackles which is something we have been missing for a while. Howie giving Fangio some upgrades and depth in this secondary. 

He is not a pure CB. He is not a pure safety. He is a hybrid between Strong safety and a slot CB. A role that Jenkins played. Very necessary in our case. However drafted above where i projected him at a great cost. Not happy about the cost of moving up. Gave up 66.4 points /a high 4th rounder just to get him. There were great players still available on the board at 50 and 53. Do not like or understand the purpose of moving up in this draft. Should have moved back in the second and picked up extra value, instead of loosing it if we wanted to get a 3rd rounder back. ?Many teams were moving up at the time, with so many defensive studs on the board.

3 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

We lost value of the high 4th rounder, 66.4 points, to move up for this guy, with lots and lots great other picks still available.  No problem with the player but Hate the value of the  trade to move up. 

They did what they thought they needed to do to get a good football player.

Get your stupid nerdy analytics out of here.

🤓

• Haha 1