Round 2 #40: Eagles trade up to select Iowa DB Cooper DeJean

Portyansky

21 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

It must have been Lurie pick. Because it doesn't make any sense to me to trade up for a safety, with the value of the safety position diminished and better safeties still available.

He isn't JUST a safety. That might be where teams saw the extra value. OTOH he isn't the best in his class at any one position.

• Like 1

Fangio is going to put this player all over the field, like Malcom Jenkins, in a 3-4 Defense with Zone Coverage, the kind that our own QB has difficulty diagnosing. I believe Philly fans are going to fall in love. :Eagle_smiley:

Just remember, our pass D can't get worse. 

Dime Defense.

Slay,
CJGJ
Blankenship
Dejean
Maddox and
Mitchell

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eglz1 said:

He isn't JUST a safety. That might be where teams saw the extra value. OTOH he isn't the best in his class at any one position.

His strength is to be in the middle of the field...Where he can be a slot CB, Cover TEs, intercept balls thrown to specific middle range routes, provide occasional Run support. The role that Jenkins played for the team when he was here. Call him Safety, or call him whatever you want. We needed a guy like this for some time and , unless he gets injured , he will be real good at it. What he is not ..is a pure CB who covers fast WRs. Because he starts grabbing and that will result in penalties. I am sure that Vick will plug him in the middle, where he belongs. 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:20 AM, time2rock said:

Was DeJean another Lurie pick (ala JJAW)?

IMG_1056.jpeg

Now an even dumber sheet is making the draft picks, Arcega-Whiteside should tell everyone what he knows about drafting players

52 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Now an even dumber sheet is making the draft picks, Arcega-Whiteside should tell everyone what he knows about drafting players

Didn’t like the JJAW pick from the moment it was made (without knowing Lurie pushed for it) but I do like the DeJean pick … I think he has the potential to contribute much more than JJAW did.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Didn’t like the JJAW pick from the moment it was made (without knowing Lurie pushed for it) but I do like the DeJean pick … I think he has the potential to contribute much more than JJAW did.

I don't think his contribution is going to be greater than the two players in the 2nd we could have picked, simply put, 2 > 1, it's amazing tthe dumb sheets in the FO hasn't figured that out yet.

Moreover, I don't think DeJean should have been taken in the 2nd round let alone the 1st as some thought, always be skeptical of a player rises to the #1 pick at his position at the last moment, you can bet he's highly overrated because of one bias or another.

Anyhow, we shall see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

I don't think his contribution is going to be greater than the two players in the 2nd we could have picked, simply put, 2 > 1, it's amazing tthe dumb sheets in the FO hasn't figured that out yet.

Moreover, I don't think DeJean should have been taken in the 2nd round let alone the 1st as some thought, always be skeptical of a player rises to the #1 pick at his position at the last moment, you can bet he's highly overrated because of one bias or another.

Anyhow, we shall see.

As always with any new addition, I am in wait-and-see mode.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I certainly hope so!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

I certainly hope so!!

Haha almost impossible to contribute less!  😂

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Haha almost impossible to contribute less!  😂

Going for the safe prediction :lol:

However, it does give me an excuse to pull out the ol' JJ-AWFUL & JJLOL

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

This is not a dumb pick. De Jean is a ball hawk, and we could definitely use him...and now will use him.  I am glad that Lurie and Howie agreed with me that he was a second rounder and not the rest of HoBlows who prior to the draft were hyping him to be selected in the 1st. It's all good.

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

No.  That's not how it works. It was not 2 for 1.  If you're wanting to do the contribution math, it's DeJean's contribution plus Hunt's contribution plus the value of the bump-up that we got on the Day #3 pick.  That's how trades work.  In fact, it's not even the actual contributions, 'cause there are no sure-things in the draft.  It's always about hope/estimation/expectation.  These are prospects rather than products.  But please do continue to refer to people other than yourself as "tthe dumb sheets" while putting your own lack of understanding on display.

As I posted on Thursday night, I would not have made the trade.  But that doesn't make it a bad trade or a bad pick.  He was a productive player and is widely considered to be among the better prospects in this draft.  If he'd been picked in the back half of the 1st, nobody would have blinked.  And he plays DB, which is an aspect of the defense at which we stunk last year.  Howie got value, as he usually does.

I'm happy about this pick.  I will root for him and cheer for him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Howie had to do it. It seemed like Packers were going to get him and CBs were starting to go off board starting with Eagles pick. It was a division rival (Commanders) they traded with. They probably commanded this draft compensation or not trade down.

Yeah if they loved the player that much they had to go up and get him. And so I get it from that point of view and it suggests they have real belief in their evaluation of the player. I just don’t have the same view of him so didn’t feel the value was worth it.

I can’t understand anyone who would complain about the DeJean pick.  He’ll likely be a Safety for us, which is completely fine. But he can be moved around on any given play and also fill in at CB if there are injuries, etc.  

Just as is the case with any player, he might be a bust, a solid player, or a stud.  At this point, he was a great pick and we potentially completely turned around our secondary for the next 5-10 years in one draft. 

I feel so old watching him on the Eagles social media interviews, he looks like he's in high school.

Versatility is a good thing to have, if both he and CJGJ can be moved around to confuse the offense that is nothing but a bonus. What was he like in run support? 

• Like 1

camp body

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

No.  That's not how it works. It was not 2 for 1.

2 second rounders vs 1 second rounder.

10 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

I can’t understand anyone who would complain about the DeJean pick.  

Here's how.

As it stands now, just like last year, all the pressure to stop the run is laid upon the DL, if a defensive linemen doesn't make the tackle the RB is in the secondary because we have no LB's to assist in tackling before 6-10 yards are gained. Also, with Reddick gone we have no one to rush the QB which is for all intent and purposes pass defense. 

With the trade up they should have drafted an Edge rusher, if they stayed put they could have drafted both an Edge rusher and a LB.  What did they do, draft a swiss army knife that doesn't even have a position he specializes in.

The best thing that DeJean did for himself was to miss the post season competition, it would have been nice to see him at the Senior Bowl going up against players other the Iowa State players to show that he has what it takes.....just like Mitchell did.

The consensus has him not being suitable to play outside corner or even slot because he won't be able to stick with the quick twitch receivers and if you watch his film you'll see he can't tackle worth a damn. 

So everyone is hoping Vic Fangio can devise a scheme to hide his short comings, which is fine, but I think that's something to complain about for a high #2.

17 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Here's how.

As it stands now, just like last year, all the pressure to stop the run is laid upon the DL, if a defensive linemen doesn't make the tackle the RB is in the secondary because we have no LB's to assist in tackling before 6-10 yards are gained. Also, with Reddick gone we have no one to rush the QB which is for all intent and purposes pass defense. 

With the trade up they should have drafted an Edge rusher, if they stayed put they could have drafted both an Edge rusher and a LB.  What did they do, draft a swiss army knife that doesn't even have a position he specializes in.

The best thing that DeJean did for himself was to miss the post season competition, it would have been nice to see him at the Senior Bowl going up against players other the Iowa State players to show that he has what it takes.....just like Mitchell did.

The consensus has him not being suitable to play outside corner or even slot because he won't be able to stick with the quick twitch receivers and if you watch his film you'll see he can't tackle worth a damn. 

So everyone is hoping Vic Fangio can devise a scheme to hide his short comings, which is fine, but I think that's something to complain about for a high #2.

What Edge should we have taken? And do you know that player would be a star?  We signed Huff, Smith will be in year 2 as will Carter, Davis should further develop, Devin White could regain his form…we have lots of pieces. Let’s give them a chance before already saying be basically have nobody.

DeJean was good value. If he ends up being a safety, that’s great.  We will see how things pan out but I think you’re overreacting…or you simply just don’t like DeJean.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

We will see how things pan out but I think you’re overreacting…or you simply just don’t like DeJean.  

It's not that I don't like DeJean, I don't like what we gave up to get him, I wouldn't have been surprised had the Eagles not taken him if he was still available in the 4th.

I don't feel up to looking at who we could have had, there's no since in doing the would've/could've at this point, as you said, let's see how things pan out. 

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

It's not that I don't like DeJean, I don't like what we gave up to get him, I wouldn't have been surprised had the Eagles not taken him if he was still available in the 4th.

I don't feel up to looking at who we could have had, there's no since in doing the would've/could've at this point, as you said, let's see how things pan out. 

What did we give up? We had two mid round 2nds (50 and 53), gave those and #161 to get 40, 78, and 152. 

Maybe you wouldn't have been surprised but literally everybody else that follows football would have been shocked if DeJean was available in the 4th.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:41 AM, jsdarkstar said:

Fangio is going to put this player all over the field, like Malcom Jenkins, in a 3-4 Defense with Zone Coverage, the kind that our own QB has difficulty diagnosing. I believe Philly fans are going to fall in love. :Eagle_smiley:

Just remember, our pass D can't get worse. 

Dime Defense.

Slay,
CJGJ
Blankenship
Dejean
Maddox and
Mitchell

You just had to get in a Hurts dig.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

What did we give up? We had two mid round 2nds (50 and 53), gave those and #161 to get 40, 78, and 152. 

Maybe you wouldn't have been surprised but literally everybody else that follows football would have been shocked if DeJean was available in the 4th.

I believe he'd have been gone at #41 which is why Howie moved up. Saints took Kool-Aid 'cause DeJean was gone. At least that's what I remember.