Round 3 #94: Eagles Select Jalyx Hunt, DE/LB Houston Christian University

time2rock

This called the two guards we wanted got jacked pick 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

I'd prefer "projects" go round 5-7. Round 3 you are still looking for potential starters.  But we got our CBs so I'm good. 

Still a lot of holes to fill on the roster. Seems like they could have made a lot more moves other than a project DE/LB. Big body and good speed. Another one of these guys who could fit in a lot of different spots. 

• Like 1

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Another one of these guys who could fit in a lot of different spots. 

Those guys tend to end up being ok at multiple positions but not great at any. 

• Like 3

NFL.com on Hunt...

The rare Ivy League safety-turned-Southland Conference pass rusher. Hunt is an unusual prospect, but he's intriguing and athletically blessed enough to be a pass-rush project who can be groomed behind the scenes while he works out on special teams. His development could take time but might pay off in a big way.

Just now, Uscg-green said:

Those guys tend to end up being ok at multiple positions but not great at any. 

Good to have a couple of these guys on your roster as Swiss Army Knife type players.

I don't know the player, but Fangio must like him a lot to go for a project so early, though

16 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Daniel Te'o-Nesheim vibes 

I got the Gocong vibe

• Like 1

1st Howie wiff of the draft. Never heard of this guy- AT ALL. I was hoping for a good linebacker. I was also hoping Howie knew Kung Fu.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I don't like this pick because he'd probably still be available in the 4th round...They could have drafted him tomorrow if they really want him that bad...

• Like 3

His projected draft range varies depending on which sites you reference but quite a few had him as a 3rd round prospect based on upside so it's not necessarily a huge reach, but definitely not a "value pick" like our first 2 selections in the draft as it stands. 

If we're going the optimistic route:

"On the whole, PFF is more bullish on Hunt than most pundits. He is the No. 86 overall player on its draft board after posting an 18.9% pass rush win rate in 2023."

Upon Hunt's decision to accept an invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl on Nov. 14, Miller described him as "your small school sleeper to fall in love with."

Mel Kiper Jr. listed him as one of his favorite outside linebackers in the class, adding, "Hunt is very raw, but we know NFL teams covet edge rushers, and he has intriguing traits. So, while I have a Round 3 grade on him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in Round 2."

Plus, like others have stated, this is one of Vic Fangio's favorite players in the draft so at least Howie isn't operating in a silo and he's taking into consideration input from his scouts and coaches.

The fact that Payton Wilson keeps on falling suggests the injury concerns are perhaps more significant than we know.

1 minute ago, JamesK said:

I don't like this pick because he'd probably still be available in the 4th round...

He was projected 3rd/4th no guarantee 

• Like 1

NFL.com scouting report:

Hunt is a small-school edge defender possessing notable athletic traits and the potential to get bigger and stronger. He currently lacks the lower-body anchor and general play strength to go up against NFL opponents, but the team drafting him is likely to view him as a developmental prospect in need of time to build his frame and his game. Hunt’s speed is obvious as a pass rusher and in run pursuit, but proving he can survive against a downhill running attack could be the difference between challenging for a rotational role or hoping to become a designated pass rusher.

• Like 2

Don't know him, but Fangio wanted him. Getting two 1st round picks in the first 2 rounds is the big story. We'll see what Vic does with this kid.

• Like 2

My guess is that Fangio was intrigued by the fact that he converted from safety to edge.  He's probably thinking of schemes where he can play this guy anywhere in the field.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Looks like a hell of an athlete but, I don't like projects in the 3rd round. 

Almost all prospects are projects in the late 3rd

• Like 1

Definitely looks like Fangio has had a real say in the draft this year!

• Like 1

Yeah trading back to here and picking a project DE when Payton Wilson was available, this draft went off the rails after the first round, I didn't really understand giving up a 2nd to take another DB and I definitely don't understand this, Jalyx Hunt is a late 4th level talent. 

3 hours ago, judunno said:

Almost all prospects are projects in the late 3rd

True, still though this guy seems like he may not even become solid. Like he is all boom or bust is what I meant. 

51 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Yeah trading back to here and picking a project DE when Payton Wilson was available, this draft went off the rails after the first round, I didn't really understand giving up a 2nd to take another DB and I definitely don't understand this, Jalyx Hunt is a late 4th level talent. 

Wilson's knees are apparently Fed beyond repair. On one side he has no ACL 

Hunt entered college at 195 pounds and kept getting bigger. Fangio clearly wants guys who can either rush the passer or drop into coverage, which this guy can do. We signed Zack Baun, and he hasn't done squat in his career. This guy is a bigger, faster version with more experience in coverage. Seems like a risk worth taking. 

7 hours ago, OCEaglefan said:

Feels like howie was dicking around and a bunch of better players got picked 

Agreed I felt the same.  He can do some good things but then can't help himself, old habits of trying to get too cute show up.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

Don't know him, but Fangio wanted him. Getting two 1st round picks in the first 2 rounds is the big story. We'll see what Vic does with this kid.

i think the young man needs a full year living in the gym before he gets thrown to the wolves. I see a situational pass rusher. It's not crazy to make the leap that Fangio knows what he's doing. Time will tell on this youngster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Agreed I felt the same.  He can do some good things but then can't help himself, old habits of trying to get too cute show up.  

All I can say is they must have really really liked DeJean to give up what they did to move up 10 places. And I’m OK with that in principle if they do love him… They just better make sure their evaluation of him is correct.

And the same is true of Hunt who they traded back and selected. They have to be confident that this kid can play a role.