Round 3 #94: Eagles Select Jalyx Hunt, DE/LB Houston Christian University

time2rock

7 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Daniel Te'o-Nesheim vibes 

Exactly what I was thinking 

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Memories of Davion Taylor 😣

Reminders me of an old school 3-4 OLB. Can do it all. Rush the passer, drop into coverage, play the run etc. The real way the 3-4 was suppose to be run to drive confusion on what the OLBs are doing. 

Reminders me of a Peter Boulware type of player. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

All I can say is they must have really really liked DeJean to give up what they did to move up 10 places. And I’m OK with that in principle if they do love him… They just better make sure their evaluation of him is correct.

And the same is true of Hunt who they traded back and selected. They have to be confident that this kid can play a role.

I feel better about DeJean being a player for us than I do Hunt, but hated giving up both 2s for him.  That is where not having that 3rd (that we gave up for Pickett) bit us in the arse.  

It is being said that Hunt was one of Fangio's favorite prospects, so this was possibly a pick made at his request.  Hoping it works out.  Too many Davion Taylor vibes right now.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t mind Howie taking risks, but not sure I love it in this spot. More pressing needs. Not even sure if he can play special teams.

My thoughts exactly.  Day 2 is too early for project picks ... save those for rd 5 and later.  

But hey at least we now have 7 picks to make on day 3.  :wacko:

Hoping he can turn a couple of these picks into 2025 picks.  Maybe 1 of the 3 5ths for a 2025 4th since we currently do not have a 4th next year.  And hopefully 1 of our 3 4ths into a 2025 3rd.  

Wow, people are complaining about this pick. It's a reach. He'd be there in the 4th. Where the Eagles got him was in at the end of the round. 

Well the Eagles also got two more 4th round picks to boot. We now have two more picks then we started the draft with. Howie is doing a great job. He is going to address LB, Oline, TE etc.In the later rounds. There are still some good players out there.

8 hours ago, Talonblood said:

1st Howie wiff of the draft. Never heard of this guy- AT ALL. I was hoping for a good linebacker. I was also hoping Howie knew Kung Fu.

Thanks for Sunday Morning Kung Fu!!!

20 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

Thanks for Sunday Morning Kung Fu!!!

image.png.aaa1c0ca0481b691943e5eecb3d89a4c.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, time2rock said:

image.png.aaa1c0ca0481b691943e5eecb3d89a4c.png

Wayne's World (7/10) Movie CLIP Fighting Cassandra's Dad, 54% OFF

• Haha 1

This dude is almost as much a project as Mialata. He won’t see the field this year and sparingly next year. Hopefully he develops some resemblance of play strength down the road.

He played wr in high school and safety at cornell.  Looks natural and fluid dropping back in coverage. Has really good closing speed, good bend around the corner and long arms. But he has no play strength. If an OL punches him, his rush is over. If a TE gets his hands on him, he’s done. 

straight project. I believe day 3 will see more guys who have a chance to see the field. 

1 hour ago, jsdarkstar said:

Wow, people are complaining about this pick. It's a reach. He'd be there in the 4th. Where the Eagles got him was in at the end of the round. 

Well the Eagles also got two more 4th round picks to boot. We now have two more picks then we started the draft with. Howie is doing a great job. He is going to address LB, Oline, TE etc.In the later rounds. There are still some good players out there.

Yeah because addressing LB late in the draft and cheap free agency has never bitten us in the ass, especially not in recent memory. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

All I can say is they must have really really liked DeJean to give up what they did to move up 10 places. And I’m OK with that in principle if they do love him… They just better make sure their evaluation of him is correct.

And the same is true of Hunt who they traded back and selected. They have to be confident that this kid can play a role.

If they don't move up 10 spaces, they don't get DeJean.  You can debate whether or not DeJean is a player that should have been targeted, but it's pretty clear from the way things shook out that he wouldn't have been there by pick 50

Worst 3rd rounder was DE Bryce Smith. Didn’t even make the team. 

"if we didn’t take him the patriots would have”

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

i think the young man needs a full year living in the gym before he gets thrown to the wolves. I see a situational pass rusher. It's not crazy to make the leap that Fangio knows what he's doing. Time will tell on this youngster.

Yeah it’s not as though I’ve written him off completely already … that would be silly.  Need to give him a chance to prove himself one way or another.  But history is against him becoming the player we hope he can be … these fail much more so than work out in the end and I hate blowing relatively early picks like that.  A 5th?  Sure.  Not a 3rd.  But now we wait … and hope.  At least the first 2 picks look like solid additions.  Let’s see what Howie has up his sleeve for day 3.

I just don’t understand the pick with Payton Wilson out there. I understand Wilson has some medical issues but Howie took a chance on Dickerson and that really worked out. Take away the medical issues and Wilson is probably the top LB in the draft. 

Hunt may turn out to be a good player but this is a huge reach in the 3rd round. This has Davion Taylor written all over it. 

45 minutes ago, time2rock said:

IMG_1057.jpeg

But, some fans here know better than Vic Fangio. What has Fangio ever done? I'm the super genius not him.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

IMG_1057.jpeg

I still don't believe in using a 3rd round pick on a project player. Save that for rounds 6,7,8... not a freekin 3rd round pick. This is a reach.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.7439886fb248f90021b12dd2c7c739e0.png

• Like 1

Kiper had him as his fave OLB, Daniel Jeremiah had him as his 64th best player, ESPN 69th and they got him at pick 94. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mat said:

Kiper had him as his fave OLB, Daniel Jeremiah had him as his 64th best player, ESPN 69th and they got him at pick 94. 

If TATE says this was a reach, all these frauds must be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, beto_eagles said:

If TATE says this was a reach, all these frauds must be wrong.

The draft is a complete crapshoot, there is every chance he ends up a bust, but so do the majority of other guys picked in the third round. For every Terry McLaurin there you probably get 5 Jace Sternberger's 

Here's how I'd grade the first 3 picks taking into consideration draft position and trades:

Rnd 1, Pick 22:  Quinyon Mitchell CB Toledo - A+ 

- Arguably the best CB in the draft class this late in the 1st round without moving at all. Can certainly make a case for Terrion Arnold over Mitchell, but hard to argue against this pick. Perfect intersection of value and need.

Rnd 2, Pick 40: Cooper DeJean CB Iowa - B+

- Great value getting a solid 1st round prospect a pick 40 but the cost of the trade to move up and giving up an additional 4th round pick premium (per Jimmy Johnson trade value chart) is a little steep, but not prohibitive. That brings the trade down from an A in my books.

Rnd 3, Pick 94: Jalyx Hunt LB Houston Christian - C

- Project pick that is very raw but has great athleticism and upside, definitely feels like a Davion Taylor, DTN, Bryan Smith pick here. The mitigating factor here is the multiple trades down to recoup draft pick value and reduce the extent of the reach here, that keeps this pick from being a D or F in my book and is an average C grade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

It is being said that Hunt was one of Fangio's favorite prospects, so this was possibly a pick made at his request.  Hoping it works out.  Too many Davion Taylor vibes right now.  

I think based on the very limited videos I’ve seen of him he’s very explosive and he’s fast for an OLB. So he can drop in to coverage and he can get to the QB in a hurry. He’s limited on moves but if you are bringing him in to either blitz or drop in to coverage you can probably use him.

Here's Howie calling Hunt to welcome him to the team... Howie now has a new nickname (but check out how quickly he turns to business and asks dor the playbook)

I don’t really like this pick but we’ll see. One thing I liked was when he was on the phone with Sirianni I heard him say "I’m going to need that playbook asap”. Thats a guy who is motivated.

• Like 1