Round 3 #94: Eagles Select Jalyx Hunt, DE/LB Houston Christian University

time2rock

14 hours ago, Talonblood said:

1st Howie wiff of the draft. Never heard of this guy- AT ALL. I was hoping for a good linebacker. I was also hoping Howie knew Kung Fu.

He was in one of the mock drafts, don't remember which one.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 9:46 AM, Procus said:

If they don't move up 10 spaces, they don't get DeJean.  You can debate whether or not DeJean is a player that should have been targeted, but it's pretty clear from the way things shook out that he wouldn't have been there by pick 50

Word was that the Packers were all set to get him at pick 41

Edit: It was the Saints, not the Packers. Saints took Kool-Aid instead.

• Like 1

So far, this is the only pick where I'm like "hhhmmmmmm ooook".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

So far, this is the only pick where I'm like "hhhmmmmmm ooook".

Why ? Vick choose him. He is pure QB pass rusher. OLB/DE . in 3-4. He fits the new scheme.

• Like 1

He called Howie "Big Pimpin" and asked Siri for the playbook immediately. Gotta love that. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Even if he turns out to be the next Marcus Smith at least we only spent a 3rd rounder on him.

• Haha 1

Ahhh... Gotta give the F.O. the benefit of the doubt. But, you'll have to forgive my lack of confidence. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2024 at 8:09 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Looks like a hell of an athlete but, I don't like projects in the 3rd round. 

It was after #75 so it wasn't a "premium" pick. So don't sweat it. 

2 hours ago, Erie said:

Ahhh... Gotta give the F.O. the benefit of the doubt. But, you'll have to forgive my lack of confidence. 

I like the end of this phone call:

He just got drafted was celebrating with family and friends and already wanted the playbook (like Nolan Smith last year). I have no idea if he's ready to start playing, but this is a young man that's ready to start working. I respect that. 

• Like 2

Such pessimism reading through these. Seems like a sharp kid in the interviews that I've seen and easy to root for. Went to Cornell originally that's impressive. Hopefully he can get with that training staff and get his NFL body ready. I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, judunno said:

Such pessimism reading through these. Seems like a sharp kid in the interviews that I've seen and easy to root for. Went to Cornell originally that's impressive. Hopefully he can get with that training staff and get his NFL body ready. I'm intrigued.

b1wa0twh01gz.jpg?width=1080&crop=smart&a

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

It was after #75 so it wasn't a "premium" pick. So don't sweat it. 

I like the end of this phone call:

He just got drafted was celebrating with family and friends and already wanted the playbook (like Nolan Smith last year). I have no idea if he's ready to start playing, but this is a young man that's ready to start working. I respect that. 

I've been coming around to this pick the more I think about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Report back to us once a week on how you're feeling. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

This reminds me of Trent Cole being drafted. Also Derrick Burgess. All smaller EDGE/DE's. Who had to develop more usage of their skill and size to create advantages.

• Like 1

Sure he's from a small school, but I think Bryan Smith Jalyx Hunt could develop into a good pass rusher for us.

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

How do you feel about it today Big Pimpin? 

• Haha 1

Here's some reps he did at the senior bowl.

Not great but not terrible. He shows some power and at least attempts some moves. But there aren't any clean wins like you see with more polished prospects. But he gets a nice push at times and doesn't seem overmatched.

Here's his tape from a game at WKU.

They use him as a stand-up rusher and in zone coverage. Only saw one rep where he was in man, and that was clearly a mismatch against a wr but he at least recognized the route and carried him deep down the field.

You can see why the Eagles like him and also why he was a third-round pick. He seems to recognize what is going on and in zone he covers a lot of space, feeling his way to the receivers. He made a couple of nice tackles and pressured the qb when he rushed the passer. But there were also two pretty bad plays where he lost contain or failed to make a tackle.

All in all a gamble worth taking IMO.

Reminds me of to many failed smallish Edge Rusher/OLBs that get drafted. Tweeners that never pan out because a Coaching Staff doesn't know where or how to play him.

42 minutes ago, LacesOut said:

Reminds me of to many failed smallish Edge Rusher/OLBs that get drafted. Tweeners that never pan out because a Coaching Staff doesn't know where or how to play him.

He's 6'4 252lbs he isn't smallish at all lol. He can put some more weight on for sure but, that shouldn't be difficult. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LacesOut said:

The 1980s called ...

On 4/29/2024 at 12:31 PM, jsb235 said:

Here's some reps he did at the senior bowl.

Not great but not terrible. He shows some power and at least attempts some moves. But there aren't any clean wins like you see with more polished prospects. But he gets a nice push at times and doesn't seem overmatched.

Here's his tape from a game at WKU.

They use him as a stand-up rusher and in zone coverage. Only saw one rep where he was in man, and that was clearly a mismatch against a wr but he at least recognized the route and carried him deep down the field.

You can see why the Eagles like him and also why he was a third-round pick. He seems to recognize what is going on and in zone he covers a lot of space, feeling his way to the receivers. He made a couple of nice tackles and pressured the qb when he rushed the passer. But there were also two pretty bad plays where he lost contain or failed to make a tackle.

All in all a gamble worth taking IMO.

I wonder if Trott SR. is going to be around the Eagles. Maybe give the young man a tip or two.

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He's 6'4 252lbs he isn't smallish at all lol. He can put some more weight on for sure but, that shouldn't be difficult. 

He's small. Shut it.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

The 1980s called ...

WTF does this even mean, you dumb a-hole??!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LacesOut said:

WTF does this even mean, you dumb a-hole??!!

It means stop living in the past.

Von Miller --- 6'3 250

Elvis Dumervil --- 5'11 250

TJ Watt --- 6'4 252

Haason Reddick --- 6'1 240

Micah Parsons --- 6'3 245

Maxx Crosby --- 6'5 255

Robert Quinn --- 6'4 245

Josh Allen --- 6'5 255

Brian Burns --- 6'5 250

Will Anderson --- 6'4 243

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 8:21 AM, kiwinavega said:

I was so excited when we drafted that guy, thought he would be a monster. Then Spads phoned him, asked him how he was marking the draft. 'Just laying on the bed, looking at the ceiling' he said, kind of Private Pyle vibes..

He died aged 30. Doctors examined his brain and found signs of CTE. I think we sometimes forget just how brutal football can be.

I remember when I heard him say that and thought to myself he’s going to be a bust. Ashame about the CTE and obvious premature death.

Sometimes when you hear players talk, things they say or how they say them, gives you some insight.  Like how Andre Dillard made some kind of comment about playing the right side of the line…can’t remember what it was, but I remember thinking he was gonna be a bust too after I heard him say that.

• Sad 1

I predict that he will have mysterious injury before the season starts.